FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » New work posted! Inexplicable business card holders! Tiki Bob keychains! More Islander! Pg. 15!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
New work posted! Inexplicable business card holders! Tiki Bob keychains! More Islander! Pg. 15!
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 5:47 pm   Permalink

Full Throttle Tiki is awesome, i love that piece, can imagine it as one of the model kit covers. Beautiful man!

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 10:06 pm   Permalink

Hey OceaOtica!

Thanks for the comment... that's the look that I was trying to capture, glad you think I got it!

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Savage Daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-07 11:02 am   Permalink

Your art is fantastic! I love it.

View Profile of Savage Daddy Send a personal message to Savage Daddy  Email Savage Daddy Goto the website of Savage Daddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shark Art
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-07 12:04 pm   Permalink

New works are looking good. You are solidifying your "tiki" painting style!

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-07 12:15 pm   Permalink

GREAT NEW WORK ERIC!
YOU ARE IN OVERDRIVE!
All three of those are ACE!
Keep up the great work!
hi Manuel!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikithomas08
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-07 12:56 pm   Permalink

awesome stuff eric! your paintings are allways killer, the motion in it is so vivid you can easily picture the tikis in them bouncin around. bummer to hear the tiki that carved itself is now gone, but the painting is killer, i think that would make for a killer t-shirt!

View Profile of tikithomas08 Send a personal message to tikithomas08  Email tikithomas08 Goto the website of tikithomas08     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-07 4:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-06 17:43, tobunga wrote:
It's 11x14, acrylic on canvas. Sort of my homage to those Weird-Ohs Silly Surfer model kits from the 60's.

Wow, that's really awesome! I love it! And in an odd "It's a small world" twist, I collect vintage cartoony models (mainly Deal's Wheels and Zingers) and was contacted a while back by Elizabeth Campbell, daughter of Bill Campbell who did the Weird-Ohs artwork. She was selling prints of some of his work that he did for Hawk back in the day. Most of them were for proposed models that never got produced. I created a web page on my site for her to use to try and drum up some business. I don't think she sells the prints anymore, but I still have the page up:

http://www.treswright.vervehosting.com/Campbell/Prints.html

View Profile of TikiTres Send a personal message to TikiTres  Email TikiTres     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dirk Yates
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-07 10:10 pm   Permalink

Aloha kâkou !!

I am impressed!! You are really good, killer style and execution... love it all!! Keep the new work coming!

Tiki Dirk
http://www.yatesstudios.com

View Profile of Dirk Yates Send a personal message to Dirk Yates  Email Dirk Yates Goto the website of Dirk Yates     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-12 2:11 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the feedback!
Savage Daddy - glad you like, saw your thread... your tiki carving is awesome!
Brad and Kinny - thanks for the encouragement, always appreciated from talented tiki veterans like you two!
tikithomas08 - yeah, t-shits emblazoned with my art would be cool!
TikiTres- thanks for the great Bill Campbell/Weird-Ohs link.
Dirk Yates - Thanks! I dig your cool work too!

Here's a new series of paintings on which I've been working the past few days.

I decided to document the process and post it all here. The idea came to me somehow that a pattern on a butterfly or moth could be adapted to look like a tiki face. I know the idea isn't terribly original, but I did some sketches, and came up with some images I liked.

Then I drew out the actual images i was going to paint. I blocked out the size of the canvases on paper, and to keep the paper use to a minimum, I drew the sections touching. That gave me the idea to have all three pieces form one big image, and the series became a triptych.

After transferring the image to canvas, I started painting the insects, then the flowers. It's sort of ironic for a work in progress presentation, but this is actually the reverse of how I normally paint. I usually start with the farthest layer and work my way up to the foreground, or the main focus or the image. (I saw a photo of Kinny doing it this way, and thought I'd give it a try).

Then I painted in the leaves. This part took the most time to complete.

Then I went back and added the final details to the insects. This photo shows the tops of the canvas, where more of the tikis in the background are visible. The image continues on all four sides of the canvases.

Here are the individual pieces:
Mothtiki 1 8x8, acrylic on canvas

Mothtiki 2 8x8, acrylic on canvas

Mothtiki 3 8x8, acrylic on canvas

Well, that's it fer now! Hope these pieces aren't too stupid!

[ This Message was edited by: tobunga 2008-08-12 14:45 ]

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-12 2:23 pm   Permalink

What an awesome combination of elements: lepidoptera, flowers and tiki! I take it those are 12x12 works? How did you find painting the subject first? I tend to switch back and forth, really depends on my mood.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-12 2:52 pm   Permalink

Hey TikiMango!
They're 8" x 8"... I actually went back and put the sizes in the description...

Working in reverse was interesting, it worked out well for these, because the canvas was not so large. I probably wouldn't do it this way on a larger piece, or one with a large background.

Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-12 3:32 pm   Permalink

Whoa! THAT's cool!
different too!

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-13 05:28 am   Permalink

Great idea and well executed

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dirk Yates
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-13 4:57 pm   Permalink

Aloha!!

Very cool stuff, like a trip throught the looking glass ... Tikify the world!!!!

http://www.yatesstudios.com

View Profile of Dirk Yates Send a personal message to Dirk Yates  Email Dirk Yates Goto the website of Dirk Yates     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-16 05:31 am   Permalink

Friggin' awesome stuff, really,really different. We need more breath-of-fresh-air work like this to stop the stagnation.

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation