FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki The Gallery of Regrettable Tiki Paint Jobs
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
The Gallery of Regrettable Tiki Paint Jobs
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-22 7:46 pm   Permalink

My mistake. The tiki had posted here doesn't really fit the theme of this thread.

Classic Silver Line Boats

[ This Message was edited by: SilverLine 2008-04-22 19:50 ]

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-22 7:55 pm   Permalink

That brings to mind this previously posted Marquesan Tiki IN JEANS, at the Tropics Indio.
What a wonderful carving, what a wrong paint job.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-22 7:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-22 19:46, SilverLine wrote:
My mistake. The tiki had posted here doesn't really fit the theme of this thread.

...but but...WHY? I thought it was a vintage Marquesan lawn Tiki that had been mistakenly overpainted "black face" style, no?
Why doesn't it fit, is it a new Tiki revival item?

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-04-22 19:59 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-22 8:19 pm   Permalink

I figured since it wasn't garishly painted, rather misunderstood or maybe even disguised, it wasn't a good fit. It made me laugh when I saw it. Nobody else had a clue what it really was. BTW, it's a 12-inch tall porcelain cigarette lighter that somebody painted a shirt and overalls onto. Here's he is again:

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-22 9:28 pm   Permalink

Well I think the above guy qualifies for a side genre of the "mistaken Tiki paint jobs", similar to the Tiki Bob and the Kona Kai Tiki in my very first post that began this thread.

Maybe it is time to carefully introduce the subject of WHAT kind of paint job might actually be permissible on Tikis, or better, on Oceanic Art reproductions:

Example Nr. 1:
This PNG/Disney/Skull carving is one of the first two pieces I ever purchased at Oceanic Arts, when I discovered them in 1989. It is a fine example of the kind of care that classic Polynesian pop artists originally put into pieces that WERE painted:

Taking cues from Papua New Guinea art, the paints were washed out earth pigment type of choices that were rubbed off again, AND enriched with dirt and dust -in essence expert "primitive art" forging. This piece's color scheme looks much more authentic than O.A.'s later "Night of The Tiki" phase. This is how this carving came off the shelf, it has been hanging INSIDE since I purchased it (most of the time).

Example Nr.2:
Now Marquesan/Tahitian style Tikis should not be painted at all, but IF they are, which of these two is the more pleasing application, A.) or B.)?:

A.)

B.)

This fine looking Tiki trio actually stood/ is standing in Tahiti. Now I could not discern if the B.) look was actual paint, applied several coats later, or if it was a similar period photo than A.) that just had the hell colorized out of it in a photo shop program. In any case, In my opinion A.) probably would look acceptable once the initial paint job had become weathered, while B.) would never look good under any circumstances.

This said, this style of Tiki should really not be painted at all.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-04-22 21:46 ]

virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-22 10:59 pm   Permalink

Sorry. I didn't read well.

Now, I was about to post about the tahitian trio, that I really like, even if yes, at some point, the paint was too bright.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 3:44 pm   Permalink

Here is my submission taken down in Pueblo, CO just last week.

What a lovely shade of sky blue......??????

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 4:36 pm   Permalink

Those are nice carvings Zulu. I wonder if the proprietors would sell them as is.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 6:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-20 20:27, alohacurrent wrote:
Here's a tree-dweller tiki from the international marketplace, Waikiki

Hey now,
If I reinterpreted a garishly painted tiki does that make mine modern or tackily painted?

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 8:24 pm   Permalink

Modern, for sure. It's a nice job, even if it is based on Tiki Devolution. While painting mid-century Tikis is just plain wrong, Tiki revival works are open to individual taste. It's not MY taste, and I hope that the crimes of the past are a warning example to a new generation of artisans, but ultimately it is out of my hands.

tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-24 11:54 pm   Permalink

Does anyone else think this one at Sam's Seafood (August 2005) is supposed to be wearing a tie?

(thanks to 8ft tiki for pointing me to this thread)

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 07:18 am   Permalink

Yiiiiikes! I can't say, I can't bring myself to look at this abomination long enough to decide, I have to avert my eyes.

Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 07:39 am   Permalink

OH THE HORROR!

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 10:40 am   Permalink

I just finished going through all 4 pages. Almost made me physically ill. I kid you not!
The quote about garish Tiki offending the eye? IMHO ,I think It also offends our spirit.

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-25 10:52 am   Permalink

"Does anyone else think this one at Sam's Seafood (August 2005) is supposed to be wearing a tie? "

Maybe they initiated a dress code that year.

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation