FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Hula Sue's South Seas Hideaway
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
Hula Sue's South Seas Hideaway
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-23 01:37 am   Permalink

Thanks guys!
Here are a few more random pics of recent progress.

Entrance:

Carving large styrofoam islands for the wall map behind the booth. When done, I'll coat them with fiberglass resin, sand, prime and paint.

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-23 05:53 am   Permalink

You're MAD, completely MAD... but you sure get results!

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiShopPua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-23 05:55 am   Permalink

Been watching your progress over time. The transformation is stunning. I honestly feel like you've allowed us this "backstage VIP pass". It's really so amazing, what you've done. Very beautiful. Makes me wish I were "Hula Sue". Mahalo for sharing.

View Profile of TikiShopPua Send a personal message to TikiShopPua  Email TikiShopPua Goto the website of TikiShopPua     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-28 12:57 am   Permalink

Thank you kind sirs! Another update shortly.

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-28 5:42 pm   Permalink

I don't suppose you're interested in adopting a slightly middle-aged son?

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-28 11:05 pm   Permalink

Hey Kahuna, you can take one of the hammocks in the tiki bar. Just play nice with my (other) teenage sons.

Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-30 10:14 pm   Permalink

well, I had to go back to see the whole transformation, and it's great!. I especially love the different things you did like the airplane sitting and the 3d map. Great job, can't wait to see it done!

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Krisdrama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-01 3:38 pm   Permalink

Pupu, I only hope I can acheive the same level of decor when I can finally buy my own place and not have to worry about the landlords! I love the style! Layers of detail, its great!

View Profile of Krisdrama Send a personal message to Krisdrama  Email Krisdrama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-14 4:23 pm   Permalink

Thanks Amy and Kris. Those nice comments mean alot.
Here is a side project I'm making to hang on the wall in Hula Sue's.
I've been collecting silk-screened reproductions of the old WPA parks posters (also available at this site:
http://www.rangerdoug.com/store/posters/posters-hawaii.html ) on family vacations. One of my favorites is the Hawaii one. O
One day I happened to hold it up in front of a light. The illumination showed through only the lighter inks on the silkscreen print and it looked really cool so I picked up one of those vintage '50's lighted scenic picture frames and removed the plastic picture. I made a woven matte and sandwiched it with the Hawaiian print between two pieces of plexiglass amd mounted it in the frame.
I plan to put some amber varnish on the matting to give it a nice aged patina but here is how it looks right now.

Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-14 7:28 pm   Permalink

Man you are full of great ideas and very resourceful. I'm just catching up on this thread after a short absence from TC and you've done a lot! Those rattan picture frames look awesome the way you cut the PB#'s and added the chalkware wahine. Can't wait to see how the carved styro relief map project tuns out. I'm blown away, please, get busy and show us more!!!!

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-15 09:20 am   Permalink

This is one of the coolest threads on here.
What a transformation! Your attention to detail
is awe-inspiring. Great score with the restaurant
and craigslist. Also, the unique way you've
taken different elements and turned them into
framed pieces of art is killer.
Rock on!

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-15 3:13 pm   Permalink

Thanks very much Guys! Working on this room has sort of pulled together everything I love to do into one big project.

As far as pulling together odd items to make stuff--I guess we're all 'beachcombers' at heart. Just looking at the cool junk we've picked up and using it to make something else.
I've also certainly been inspired by all the beautiful work I see here on TC!!

...and yep, I was extremely fortunate to find that pile of bamboo from the old restaurant on Craigslist (and I especially felt that way after I had finished pulling all the many hundreds of nails and scraped all the old peeling varnish off of every linear foot and burnished/finished it all over many, many hours on my front porch. Even that part was fun most of the time.

Thanks again!!!

Tai Won On
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-17 08:18 am   Permalink

Mr. Pupu,
I've been following this post from the beginning and have not posted any comments because...well...I'm speechless. Incredible work, such creativity. Tiki Central has many very talented and creative artist but, you sir, have raised the bar pretty high. Great job

View Profile of Tai Won On Send a personal message to Tai Won On  Email Tai Won On     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-18 11:08 am   Permalink

Hi Tai! Great name (kinda also sounds like a character in Star Wars)
Thank you very much for the nice words. My basement would not be the room it is without the inspiration and ideas I've also gotten from this terrific community.
I've been working hard and will have some new pics to post in the next couple of days.
Thanks again!!
Sir Pupu of Pants

McSwanky
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-01 11:46 am   Permalink

I would LOVE updated pics of the airplane/deco seating nook if you have them!

View Profile of McSwanky Send a personal message to McSwanky      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation