FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Hula Sue's South Seas Hideaway
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
Hula Sue's South Seas Hideaway
Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-19 06:32 am   Permalink

Glad to see you're back and I look forward to seeing more of the Hideaway!

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-19 11:38 am   Permalink

YES!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-29 11:48 pm   Permalink

Hi Guys, sorry it's been so long. I'll post again very soon as I'm on roll right now
Here's a look at some progress on the bar. In the first couple of pictures you can also see a strip of metal that I was riveting to apply to the outer edge of the airplane section (it'll be distressed to look as though the plane was torn apart in a crash landing).

The front corner of the bar will be rounded and the upper level ('customer' side) of the bar top will have portholes every 1.5 ft. that are flush to the surface. You'll be able to look down into them to see lit display cases that have Hawaiian travel memorabilia.
The front edge of the bar will probably be wide bamboo with the customary rope light hidden behind it to create a nice glow.

A background behind the hula girl masthead will be painted to resemble shades of blue water with a lighting effect that looks like rising bubbles. The foot rail will be bamboo supported by carved struts.

I'll post some updated pictures of the booth and the airplane section later this week. Thanks for all the encouragement!!!
John

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. Pupu Pants 2009-11-30 09:39 ]

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-30 04:14 am   Permalink

Thank you, thank you, thank you !!! Welcome back Mr. Pupu. The bar looks fantastic and can't wait to see the airplane section. That lighting effect behind the figurehead in the bar sounds killer. Inspiring work as always and I am looking forward to more posts. Thanks again.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-30 05:45 am   Permalink

That is so inspirational. Amazing vision. I'm loving it.
And your bar structure certainly gave me some ideas for mine.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-30 10:45 am   Permalink

Thank you both very much!!!
Kon, just saw your bar thread --awesome, awesome job. Such great atmosphere.
The name of your bar made me think of an alternate name for mine (considering the travel theme and airplane seating):
'The Lei Over'.
Not sure what Hula Sue would think about that, however

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-30 12:20 pm   Permalink

Yea, Mr. Pupu is back!!! The hideaway is looking great!

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-11-30 12:22 pm   Permalink

WHOOHOOO!!! More Hideaway pix!

Looking great John. Did you find the riveted metal piece or did you have to drill and set all those rivets yourself? The portholes is a cool idea, keep us posted.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-30 2:26 pm   Permalink

Hi Mike!
For the airplane 'skin', I actually bought some rolled aluminum flashing and drilled and riveted it myself. I'm going to add a hint of some airline paint stripes to it as well --- although I don't think they'll be all that noticable once it is distressed and 'shredded' (but I'll notice them)

On another note---this is a good time for me to toot your horn as a generous and creative tiki friend.

In an earlier post, I had mentioned that I was planning to have a video monitor running aerial footage within the porthole window of the airplane seating area. Well, Mike took it upon himself to create an awesome set of 'aerial' clips by building a miniature airplane wing (complete with Hula Sue moniker and engine), shooting it as a 'window P.O.V.' and adding sound effects and captain.s announcements. Over the course of several weeks , I received several DVDs of 'flight' footage (daytime, sunset and night time with clouds) in the mail. How's that for tiki community spirit and generosity? Mike, I know you did it for fun but it was also very kind and meant alot. Thank you again, kind Sir!!!

Oop, had to edit and add one thing -- Thank you Amy! I'm sure enjoying watching what you're doing with your new treehouse 'village'. It is beyond cool

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. Pupu Pants 2009-11-30 14:38 ]

Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-30 4:52 pm   Permalink

WooHoo! He's back, he's back, he's back!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-01 09:16 am   Permalink

Looking good Sir Pants of the Pupu! So good to have you back and posting pics of your bar progress.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pwest71
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-01 10:37 am   Permalink

YES!!!! I've been waiting and watching and waiting and watching some more, and now it's finally here, the update!! Thank you!! Looking great as it has since the start, thanks for sharing with us all again. I love the portholes in the bar idea, and the airliner area as well, great ideas...Any progress on the 3D relief map?

Aloha,

Paul

View Profile of pwest71 Send a personal message to pwest71      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-01 1:20 pm   Permalink

That bar is looking killer! Love the bamboo
and the maiden in the corner. you have such great ideas!
Welcome back PuPu!

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-01 6:12 pm   Permalink

TERRIFIC keep those creative pics a comin

Thortiki

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-02 3:26 pm   Permalink

Yer Bar is looking great!!
Nice work.
More pic's.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation