FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Hula Sue's South Seas Hideaway
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
Hula Sue's South Seas Hideaway
Trader Bob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-04 8:07 pm   Permalink

Great to see your back! I was suffering withdrawal symptoms!
Absolutely fantastic work. People like yourself give inspiration to all of us and I myself am truly great full. Its a pity there are a few pests along the way. Are their moderators on this forum that can block scumbags from posting trash?
I have only been a member for a few days and have learned more in that time than I have in a year or so.
Keep posting man your work is awesome!
Trader Bob
Australia!

View Profile of Trader Bob Send a personal message to Trader Bob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rocktiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-09 08:42 am   Permalink

I am seriously envious of you. I wish I had a space to have a bar like that. Oh well, I guess I just have to drool over your pictures for now. Keep up the great work.

View Profile of rocktiki Send a personal message to rocktiki  Email rocktiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-09 9:56 pm   Permalink

I love the detail in that bar from your idea to do the portholes to the lighting behind the figurehead.

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-10 3:15 pm   Permalink

My Main Man is back! The bar is gorgeous, with beautiful, loverly lighting.

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Bob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-19 7:48 pm   Permalink

It's been a while. Hope your still posting!
Did you make your own Tapa cloth or did you buy it? Living in Australia it is a bit of a hassle getting hold of tiki bar building supplies you guys have Benson's, Oceanic arts, Franks cane and rush. and other places We have zip and none. freight and shipping charges are very expensive so we have to make our own stuff. Thatch Lahala matting floats and all that other stuff we have to import or find at trash markets or antique dealers who want a weeks pay for a 12 inch fishing float. Its even hard just to get hold of some Bamboo! Any way I need some Tapa cloth and if you made yours I would sure be great full if you gave us a little "how to" post.
Thanks....Trader Bob
South Seas, Australia

View Profile of Trader Bob Send a personal message to Trader Bob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-26 11:01 am   Permalink

Wow...it is looking just awesome. Love your angles and lighting.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-29 12:39 am   Permalink

Thanks very much, my excellent friends!
Here are a few more recent pictures of work on the booth map.

The 'cyc' wall behind the booth is painted with a base color of dark blue granite textured paint from Home Depot into which I added several packets of metal 'sparkle' flakes.

The shallow water areas around the island will be painted with a lighter blue-green version. I'll also be adding a large map compass, painted island names and travel routes and a number of chalkware wall plaques as map 'icons' (fish, hula girls, tikis, hibiscus flowers, palm trees, etc).
There will be an ornate wood and bamboo border around the edge of the map.

The islands are made from carved in relief out of insulation styrofoam that was then primed, puttied and primed several more times to create a thick skin. It'll be painted to match the topography of the islands.

The sill around the back edge of the booth will be transformed into a sandy, undersea terrain with random terraced areas to display the shell and plant 'T.V.' lamps that see you see in a few of the pictures.

The ceiling will have a wrap-around awning that parallels the shape of the booth riser on the floor. The booth itself will be partially walled in with bamboo poles. As they wrap around to the front, some of them will be shorter pieces mounted from the floor up and from the ceiling down to create a graduated, irregular shaped opening at the front (as though someone cut a large hole out of the bamboo wall to view the booth).

The floor will eventually be painted to look like stone and the concrete steps will be chipped and ground with a grinder to create the appearance of mis-shapen stone.

Lots more work to do but it's coming along.

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-29 03:08 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2009-12-29 00:39, Mr. Pupu Pants wrote:

VERY COOL!!! Thortiki

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pwest71
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-29 05:59 am   Permalink

Pupu,

INCREDIBLE!! The map is definitely a highlight of the room, especially the location above the booth, that's just classic. Your work is so inspiring to me, I can't wait to get started on my own room, hopefully soon...Thanks for coming back and posting updates!!

Mahalo!!

Paul

View Profile of pwest71 Send a personal message to pwest71      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-29 10:58 am   Permalink

John, you have such great ideas!
Really looking forward to seeing the
booth area evolve. Looking great so far!

P.S. You asked about the frames for my
velvets on my thread. I can ask my framer
for the info and pass it on to you if you like.

Happy New Year!

Jason

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-29 11:01 am   Permalink

WOW is in order and a BIG congrats on your wonderous gift of imagination!
The place looks jawdropping allready ,make sure to keep us all motivated and jealous!

View Profile of TIKIVILLE Send a personal message to TIKIVILLE  Email TIKIVILLE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-29 11:20 am   Permalink

Mr. PuPu Pants,
First of all, your name is fun to say.
This thread is a great inspiration and you are a very talented master craftsman.
Thank you for sharing this adventure with us!
What a way to start out 2010.
ALOHA!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-29 3:03 pm   Permalink

Mr. Pants, what a wonderful project! The whole place is coming together and the attention to detail is amazing!!! Great Job!!!!

Happy New Year !

amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-29 4:20 pm   Permalink

Awesome work John! That booth and table is a great find

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-29 4:36 pm   Permalink

The level of work you're doing is so inspiring and amazing I can hardly stand it. Beautiful attention to detail. If my place looked that good I'd explode with pride.
Thanks for keeping us all posted with the updates.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation