FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Hula Sue's South Seas Hideaway
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
Hula Sue's South Seas Hideaway
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-29 8:30 pm   Permalink

I just can't thank you guys enough for all the kind words and encouragement. I have to admit, it makes it even more fun as I work on it and look forward to sharing stuff with you all. I've certainly received my share of inspiration and ideas from all of you.

I'll post updates on the crashed airplane 'lei-over' seating area within the week.

Thanks again, you guys are awesome.

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-29 9:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-29 20:30, Mr. Pupu Pants wrote:
I just can't thank you guys enough for all the kind words and encouragement. I have to admit, it makes it even more fun as I work on it and look forward to sharing stuff with you all. I've certainly received my share of inspiration and ideas from all of you.

I'll post updates on the crashed airplane 'lei-over' seating area within the week.

Thanks again, you guys are awesome.

pupu rocks!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-30 06:51 am   Permalink

Mr Pupu your room looks great!
Thanks for the pic's
It's fun to watch you progress.
I was looking up ww2 radio on ebay
was looking for music but got more
radios of the time.
These radios looked like something needed
in your bar.( You know the "may day may day we are going down" type)
I don't think they sold too high.
Check it out, they are fun to see anyway.
Good luck! keep the photos coming!!!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-30 3:02 pm   Permalink

Gosh, I missed you! Oh,crap! Does that sound like a man-crush? Errr, cuz it isn't. No really, it's not. Oh nevermind. Great work as usual PuPu!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-23 11:57 am   Permalink

Mr. Pupu.
great build so far and like everyone eles i'm waiting for the next pics. Glad your back!! Did want to ask what did you use for the diamond background in the entry stair area? Looks hand painted??

Again great build.........wish I had a basement....er.. large room.....corner??

View Profile of ka'lenatiki Send a personal message to ka'lenatiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-23 2:28 pm   Permalink

Ben, with two words, you made my month. Thanks

Tikiskip, we're on the exact same wavelength (pun intended)

Amy, you are awesome and you (and Ben et, al) have created your very own Magic Kingdom. So incredibly cool. You are livin' the dream, baby!

Kahuna, I can't quit you (in a manly sort of way).

Trader Bob, Ka'lenatiki (is that your Kryptonian name?) -- thanks very much for the nice words. The pattern on the wall at the entrance is actual glued Tapa cloth I bought from a nice gentleman in Hawaii. It would be pretty easy to recreate on your own with brush and sponge.

Mike, Matt, Jason, Paul, Tikiville, Unga Bunga -- thank YOU for the very kind motivation.

Sorry, I meant to post again much sooner but I've been pretty swamped on some videos for work. I'll post updates very soon (I'm working in the basement all weekend).
Thanks again,
John

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-23 4:28 pm   Permalink

Amazing - that topographic map is so cool. I can't wait to see the finished product. SOOOO much time and effort! Do these excellent ideas just pop into your head or do you research your butt off? I just sit here with my mouth agape looking at the details! I do love the airplane section too - really clever. Hey, how come we've never met - we're practically neighbors! I'm glad you came back to us - I really missed these updates.

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-24 04:03 am   Permalink

I am PuPu inspired! Not in the same league, but inspired!

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-24 1:23 pm   Permalink

Hi Beadtiki, sheesh, we are neighbors! I hope I get a chance to meet you.
The time and effort is a big part of the fun and I figure, when it's done, I'll have learned alot as well.
I just try to put my own twist on the stuff that has inspired me (much of it here on Tiki Central -- so much talent and encouragement on this site).

As a general rule of thumb, what has helped me draw everything together is creating a sort of 'backstory' for the bar in order to stick with a theme of design and content.

I figured, if I was going to do it, I might as well go all out (which is the only mode I know -- for better or worse).
I picked a 'decade' (1945-1955ish) and a 'location' (favorite beach on Kauai) and a 'purpose' (floatplane airport beach bar) and other 'influences' (Disney, WW2, Nautical, Hawaii Vacation Travel) and collected and designed stuff around that. It has helped me keep style, color and materials together (and then I break the 'rules' from there).

It definitely makes an overall difference when the layers of details look like they were 'created' with similar type materials and techniques. Helps create a 'reality'. I don't mean for this to sound all overblown...blah, blah, blah -- just the only way I can think to describe what I was thinking.

Hey Bongo, I look around this site with my jaw lowered all the time. I just try to remember that we're each in a league of our own (based on space and resources) ....and there's no crying in Tiki
Also -- I can't tell you the number of mistakes I've made that turned into....uh.....'works of art'. Thanks very much for the very kind words.
John

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-24 4:00 pm   Permalink

I must admit I too have the PuPu flu. This is one of my all time favorite posts on TC. The idea of a back story is classic and you should have a bar menu with the story written on it somewhere. I was wondering if your idea for the outrigger seating area is still a go? And as always you are doing a fantastic job.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-24 5:11 pm   Permalink

Eagerly awaiting new pics. I've begun to plan the Mauna Kai Lounge a little better & should have progress of my own to report, soon. I sure could use some more ideas to steal!
PS: Hey, Trav! You're creepin' up on 1000 posts. We'll have to have a virtual shindig!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-24 8:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-01-24 16:00, uncle trav wrote:
I must admit I too have the PuPu flu. This is one of my all time favorite posts on TC. The idea of a back story is classic and you should have a bar menu with the story written on it somewhere. I was wondering if your idea for the outrigger seating area is still a go? And as always you are doing a fantastic job.

You should contact Sophista-Tiki for a personalized menu - have you seen the pop-up menu she did for the swap? Really fun. Thanks for sharing with us all - it is a bit addictive!

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
whiskeyblood
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-01-24 10:10 pm   Permalink

This is my first post on TC. I've been following for a long time now. I have seen some amazing things on this site by some amazing people but this thread has to be one of the best of TC. REALLY incredible to see the awesome ideas take shape. It's always fun to see someone into this stuff show a thread of their project but this one is just so damn awesome! Mr. Pupu, You are such a brilliant creator and you do a really top notch job carrying out these awesome ideas. I think you have constantly raised the bar on this project to a far more imaginative and custom room than any of us thought it would originally be. Really inspiring to me to see this thread. Please continue to post photos- over post send us tons of photos from your awesome world! Really killer stuff!

View Profile of whiskeyblood Send a personal message to whiskeyblood      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-25 10:17 pm   Permalink

Need a fix Mr. PPP!

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-29 08:22 am   Permalink

I second that, this thread is one of the main reasons to come to Tiki Central! The stuff you've done fires me up for the day I finally have a space to build a tiki bar of my own. And the backstory idea was really nice.

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation