FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Hula Sue's South Seas Hideaway
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
Hula Sue's South Seas Hideaway
hombre
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-03-09 1:17 pm   Permalink

amazing. This will be the coolest room ever!

View Profile of hombre Send a personal message to hombre  Email hombre Goto the website of hombre     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-09 1:41 pm   Permalink

Nice recap John!
Love the bar with the wahine in the corner.
Great attention to detail.

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-10 01:19 am   Permalink

Here are a few pictures of some recent work on the booth.
First, the (very, very) rough mock-up design for the map. The idea is to make it look like a 3-D representation of an old 1950's Hawaiian travel brochure map:

To make a border for the map, I picked up some of that scalloped wood trim from Home Depot, burned and brushed it and cut up some bamboo.

I positioned the the contour of the scalloped wood in juxtapostion to the half-bamboo sections and added small bamboo rounds
(covering the 'seams' between the bamboo) to create a kind of 'woven wood' effect. I just liked the way it looked so I went with it.

Still alot to do, including mortar mix poured and sculpted over the wood shapes on the sill around the back of the booth
to create a terraced ocean floor for the shell lamps, coral, sea fans, etc.

The ceiling of the booth will have cross beams, matting, float lights, Disneyland Submarine ride Sewaweed, etc. and there will be
irregular cut bamboo poles for partial walls and a thick grass awning wrapping around the front.

The map will have a directional compass with a sculpted/painted flower lei as the border and gold-leaf covered arrows pointing N,S,E and W.
Other details (route lines and chalkware figures) will also be added.

I'll be working more on the booth and the airplane fuselage this weekend.
Thanks guys...and have a great weekend!
John

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. Pupu Pants 2010-05-29 16:21 ]

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-10 05:01 am   Permalink

Wow, stunning bar! Just went through the entire thread, awesome work mate

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-10 06:24 am   Permalink

You're killing me! That's amazing!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ashman_atl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-10 06:48 am   Permalink

Lookin' good John! Love your imagination and passion for the detail. Keep the inspiration coming!

View Profile of ashman_atl Send a personal message to ashman_atl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-10 2:24 pm   Permalink

Thanks Guys, sorry the pictures themselves are kind of lame. For lack of any real mood lighting in place, I've just been using a work light to throw some illumination for the pictures. I can't wait to make it look more inviting so it'll look the way it's supposed to and, maybe I can hold a foot-candle (bad lighting guy joke) to some of your beautiful postings.

I'm looking forward to posting the airplane section. Really happy with the way that's comin along.
Much aloha,
John

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-10 2:36 pm   Permalink

Very clever use of that scalloped wood John - looks great

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-10 3:55 pm   Permalink

Beautifully done! It's great how the smallest additions you make tend to flow into the overall feel of the room. Fantastic. I am sure that if Trader Vic's soul was to roam this world looking for a new home your address would be high on the list. Well... it would be on my list too. Keep up the fine work and thanks again for sharing the build pics.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2010-04-10 19:44 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trailerpark Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-10 9:47 pm   Permalink

Unbelievable! I'm amazed at the attention to detail. I've been inspired once again on Tiki Central. Here I am, fretting about putting up a wall and you are putting a fuselage of an airplane in your room. lol Great job!

View Profile of Trailerpark Tiki Send a personal message to Trailerpark Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-11 05:10 am   Permalink

The map/mural over the booth is absolutely incredible - what a great idea. Love the relief sculptures of the islands. Can't believe how much work you put into that braided border. It in itself, is art! Happy to see all the update pics in one post. Cant wait to see more!

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPops
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-12 10:04 am   Permalink

Man I love seeing your latest posts. The booth & map are awesome. That border is truly unique. Your attention to detail is great. Looking forward to what's next!

View Profile of TikiPops Send a personal message to TikiPops  Email TikiPops     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-12 10:09 am   Permalink

Love the new update. It's lookin' awesome!

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JackLord
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-12 10:58 am   Permalink

Incredible. I would love to drink there. And its not even done yet.

View Profile of JackLord Send a personal message to JackLord      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-12 10:59 am   Permalink

The island artwork is fantastic and it curves in the corner just like the booth..

The details really make it incredible.

Nicely done.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation