FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Hula Sue's South Seas Hideaway
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
Hula Sue's South Seas Hideaway
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-14 09:04 am   Permalink

I'm defenitely calling your work the best I've ever seen... DA-AMN!!!

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-12 12:17 am   Permalink

Mr. Pants, though your hideaway totally intimidates me, I'd love to see more. But here's my question, the restaurant in Tacoma that you got the bamboo from, did you see what it looked like before the bamboo was removed? And do you remember it's name or location, because I'd love to go there to see what they did to the place. Thanks for any help.

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-12 11:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-12 00:17, tikicoma wrote:
Mr. Pants, though your hideaway totally intimidates me, I'd love to see more. But here's my question, the restaurant in Tacoma that you got the bamboo from, did you see what it looked like before the bamboo was removed? And do you remember it's name or location, because I'd love to go there to see what they did to the place. Thanks for any help.

Thank you--that is very flattering. It intimidates me too sometimes, actually.
I had never worked with bamboo before.

I've recently been doing alot of work on it -- getting ready to host a hometown 'red carpet' party for my brother (he directed the movie, Megamind, for Dreamworks and it comes out in early November) after we come back from the L.A. one.

Right now, I'm on vacation on Kaua'i so I'll post updates when I get home.
While here, I videotaped my favorite beach on the North Shore to use as a rear-projection element for the windows behind the bar.

The restaurant source of the bamboo was a Chinese place located in the Lakewood area and later became a car themed diner. The bamboo itself was in pretty bad shape -- with peeling varnish and bent nails and screws. It took alot of work to steelwool all the varnish off, clean it up and burnish it all with a torch. Saved a fortune though.

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. Pupu Pants 2010-10-12 23:19 ]

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lovelybunchofcoconuts

Posted: 2010-11-21 8:40 pm   Permalink

I am absolutely enchanted!

Am looking forward to seeing the completed "airplane" section.

BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO!

View Profile of Lovelybunchofcoconuts Send a personal message to Lovelybunchofcoconuts      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tekahottatak

Posted: 2010-11-25 07:58 am   Permalink

This is just amazing. So imaginative, and professionally executed. You should be very proud!

View Profile of Tekahottatak Send a personal message to Tekahottatak      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-17 4:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

As soon as the booth is done, I'll be back to the airplane section.

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. Pupu Pants 2010-05-19 04:46 ]

Thanks for the shots of this booth, and sorry for how long it's taken to find you here and start posting.

The lights in the pics aren't your actual mood lights are they? What kinda lighting will this masterpiece have?

A local guy who isn't a fan of TC, and generally avoids it, still knows your work!! Your bar is known beyond TC - kinda cool, huh?

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-17 9:37 pm   Permalink

Thank you my friend (Robb)!
The lighting in those pictures is just a work light and flourescents. Ultimately the lighting will be very moody/romantic looking with just 'pools' of light. The Hawaii wall map will have wave ripples projected on the water and some of those shells on the sill will be lit from within. I'm way overdue to post new pictures and will do so very soon. I'm on vacation for a month and plan to do alot of work down there.

How did your friend hear about Hula Sue's, if not on TC? That is just bizarre

Hope everything is going great with you. Your latest stuff is just astounding to me. Great, great work!
Your pal,
John

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-17 9:39 pm   Permalink

...and thank you very much Lovelybunchofcoconuts and Tekahottatak!

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-21 4:14 pm   Permalink

Mr. Pants,

Things are looking great. Did you get your pirate chest? If so, did it find a home in the hideaway yet?

I saw one at the thrift the other day but did not buy it.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-16 08:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-21 16:14, Dustycajun wrote:
Mr. Pants,

Things are looking great. Did you get your pirate chest? If so, did it find a home in the hideaway yet?

DC

If it did I bet it's filled with magic and enchantment!!

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-16 2:16 pm   Permalink

Hi Guys, sorry for the long absence contributing here. I've been recuperating from a car accident and hope to be back in the saddle again soon (just as soon as my body will let me). I will try to take some updated pictures shortly and can't wait to get back to work on it.
As always, thank you for the very kind words of encouragement over the course of this project. Also can't wait to share plans/progress on the other rooms in my house. I'll be chattin' with you soon.
Aloha and take care,
John

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-02-16 2:24 pm   Permalink

JOHN!!!! Hope you're doin' OK, get well soon!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pwest71
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-02-17 05:46 am   Permalink

Sorry to hear that John, let your body heal first, no need to hurry things up and cause yourself more problems. We'll all be sitting here chomping at the bit for an update, but will survive the wait...

Malama Pono.

Paul

View Profile of pwest71 Send a personal message to pwest71      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-17 3:38 pm   Permalink

Take it easy John. All good things are worth the wait. Take care of yourself first.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-17 9:20 pm   Permalink

Best wishes toward your recovery sir!

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation