FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Hula Sue's South Seas Hideaway
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
Hula Sue's South Seas Hideaway
corrinnao
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-18 2:30 pm   Permalink

This is the coolest bar I've ever seen! and the diorama is AMAZING!!
I love dioramas! This is gonna look soooo cool especially the flickering torches and water! I'm so glad you're feeling better. I've been following the progress of this project for years now and I'm really anxious to see it complete - I wish I could fly over there and help you!! Do you have a model of a clipper yet and what scale is it gonna be?

View Profile of corrinnao Send a personal message to corrinnao      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ESP182
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-18 6:23 pm   Permalink

Looks like that diorama is going to be pretty big, from the amount of space it looks like in the photo of the bar. If I'm not mistaken.

By the way - what is your daytime occupation?

[ This Message was edited by: ESP182 2011-03-18 18:23 ]

View Profile of ESP182 Send a personal message to ESP182      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
faztiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-23 10:01 pm   Permalink

my fingers are speechless. wow.
you are an inspired man, sir pupu.

one method I can think of to add to the sense of perspective is to have objects or lighting moving at one rate near the viewer and much slower at a distance.

sounds easy, huh?

glad to hear your feeling better!

View Profile of faztiki Send a personal message to faztiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-26 2:03 pm   Permalink

That diorama needs a video when it's up and running.
Super space!

Aloha

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-30 11:03 pm   Permalink

Dearest Kon-Hemsby, Slacks, Trav, teaKEY, pablus,
Thanks very much you guys. Your words really mean alot.

Dearest VampiressRN, Big Kahuna, ESP182
Thanks for the well wishes. I was rear-ended on the freeway by a guy going about 50mph. Completely totaled my car and really did a number on me (torn tendons, bulging discs and nerve damage in the arm) but I expect to fully recover from everything. (From my tiny voice to God's giant ear.)
I've really missed working on my house and posting stuff here. I have had quite a bit of time to draft some ideas in
Photoshop (like the details of the diorama) which has been nice and at least slightly productive.

Dearest MadDogMike,
Mike, you will always have an open invitation to come and visit if you're ever in the area.
Great idea on the water light projector.I've seen those and, at one point, was considering using something like it to create a moving water effect on the booth map (but am going a different route there too).For the Diorama, the water footage I got in Hawaii will work out great. I did a little test rear-projection and was really happy with the way it looked. Can't wait to show you when it's all put together.

Dearest Grand Kahu,
Wow, that sure was a generous compliment. No, I don't but that sure would be my dream job. My brother and I both used to dream
about that. He has amazing talent and moved to L.A. and is a Director for Dreamworks (Madagascar, Megamind). I stayed here in
Edmonds (would much rather raise my family here than L.A.). If I could do projects for Disney from up here and ship them down,
that would be my idea of heaven on earth.

Dearest Trader Mitch, ESP182,
The diorama will be about 8 ft wide by about 5 - 6ft deep (there is an storage area on the other side of the wall that the bar
sticks out from and I'll be building it 'outside the window' back there. The forced perspective may be a bit of trial and error
but I'm pretty sure it'll work. I've done something similar in the past and that seemed to work out.

Dearest faztiki
I definitely know what you're referring to but that shouldn't be an issue in this case. The only 'motion' is the filmed water and the lighting transitions.

Dearest ESP182
I work for Microsoft and do film and video production (for work and fun).
Below is a link to a kinda fun (for me anyway) video I made for my brother that always cheers me up if I'm down. It's essentially a home video I made years ago (mid 90's) as a 'Day-in-the-Life' of my brother (currently a Director at Dreamworks). At the time, he was working on Ren and Stimpy. I was down in L.A. shooting some interviews for Microsoft and had a day off to hang out with him. He was storyboarding from home that day so I got out my gear and we just had fun -- part of which included having him pitch the episode he was working on.

It's pretty goofy but we sure had a blast that day and you can definitely tell by watching that he's me best buddy. I'm so proud of him. I think I need to make a part 2 now.
Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3KpU9shrj4

Dearest corrinnao,
Thank you soooooo much. I do already have a clipper model. It has a wingspan of about 31" and has some great detail work (even has pilots seats inside the cockpit. I'll probably run some interior lighting and possibly some running lights as well.
The flickering miniature torches on the forced perspective dock should create a nice atmosphere.
Here is a picture of the Pan Am clipper:

I'm still amazed at how much my wife puts up with during all this construction (she actually really enjoys the results too). I'm a very lucky guy.
Thank you all again. Take care,
John

[ This Message was edited by: mr. pupu pants 2011-04-01 19:22 ]

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ESP182
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-31 2:52 pm   Permalink

Dear Mr. PuPu Pants aka MR. 3Ps

Ugh 50mph!! Least you are okay now and improving!! Good luck on your bar project and will be keeping an eye out here for updates! Looking forward to seeing the diorama completed.

Best of luck.

View Profile of ESP182 Send a personal message to ESP182      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-02 12:06 am   Permalink

Thanks ESP182,
Honestly, it's been a really painful, tough haul. I definitely appreciate the words of encouragement. Just wish I could heal alittle faster.

Several of you asked what I do in my day job. Part of that is Video production for Microsoft. Some is fun stuff, some of it is pretty dry. In the snippet below, from my earlier post, is a link to one of the videos I did outside of work for fun. (It's essentially a no-budget home movie but its the kind of thing I love to do and I thought you might get a kick out of it).

Back in the mid-90's on a trip to L.A. to shoot some stuff for work, I was able to take a day off to hang out with my brother. We just goofed around with the camera while he spent that day working from home (back when he worked on Ren and Stimpy).

I later waded through all the random footage and put together this little slice of who he is (at the time). These days, he's the same great guy but making much bigger budget stuff these days. I'm planning to make a part 2 of this video soon. It's long overdue

Anyway, I thought you might get a kick out of it -- he's an incredibly creative guy who also loves to make all kinds of cool stuff like the people on this forum.

Quote:

Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3KpU9shrj4

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-06 6:22 pm   Permalink

Sorry, there was no Tiki in that last post.
Please forgive me.

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. Pupu Pants 2011-04-06 18:23 ]

Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-07 11:05 pm   Permalink

Wow, another great project! I am glad you are getting back on your feet!MDM finished a diorama for my Mojave bar using the light system he told you about, I will be posting pictures in the next few days. I cant wait to see how yous come out, you bar is an inspiration!

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-08 08:02 am   Permalink

"Perpetual flushing toilet" That's funny, but it seems like he might feel that in the water bill!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-11 7:17 pm   Permalink

Thanks Amy
Not quite back on my feet yet but much closer. Really can't wait to get back to work on my house. I've been doing alot of drawing and planning for my
Moonliner Spaceport Rec Room as well.

Can't wait to see what Mike has come up with for your diorama. He's a very creative guy and I'm sure it'll be awesome!

He lives in a much nicer (and environmentally friendly) place these days, Mike.
I guess I should have posted my little family video in Bilge or something -- thought people might get a kick out of it but this was probably the wrong place.

Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-12 12:40 am   Permalink

**I just want to add right off the top that I am moooooooost certainly no expert on any of this stuff and learned most of what I've been doing from just picking up the tools and experimenting. Some of it turned out well, some I wish I could have done better. There are many people on this site who just awe me with their talent and I take alot of inspiration from them and try to put my own twist in things. The 'tips' below are just what I arrived at when working on my bar and are only based on my subjective taste. That said.....blah, blah, blah

Since I've been down and out for a bit, it's given me time to read around the site alittle more than I usually have time for.
One of the basic jobs we all do as part of building a tiki bar is dealing with bamboo and how to make it look pretty. One thing I see people having mixed results with is the treatment/finish work on Bamboo

After treating/aging/'colorizing' what seemed like miles of bamboo for my own bar, I thought I would offer a few tips from experience. Obviously this type of thing can be very subjective but I thought I'd contribute alittle info that may help others who are just starting out. It may also just seem like a great
big 'well, DUH John!' to others.

Here's what I did when burnishing the bamboo for Hula Sue's and it seemed to result, for the most part, in a rich and naturally aged looking patina.

1) lightly burnish the entire pole with long feathered strokes as though you are using an airbrush to create a nice even flow of paint. With the torch already in motion at the beginning of a stroke feather it downward and then evenly through the stroke ---- ending the stroke by feathering it up and away from the wood. This will prevent the look of 'hard edges' where a burnish begins or ends)

Work your way around and down each pole, slightly overlapping until the whole thing has a nice warm 'Base Coat' of an aged, golden tone.

For the nodes do mini-versions of the same technique but go for slightly more feathered darkening on the node. Be careful to remain SUBTLE here and don't 'toast' the wood because the differences in contrast will be even more dramatic in a dimly lit room and you want it to look like natural aging, and varying degrees of wood tone --- not as though someone just spray painted the nodes black or burned periodic rings around each one. Naturally aged bamboo doesn't generally look like that and I think most of us want the warm golden-brown , 'years of nicotine' look of the classic tiki bars.

Also---you can't unburn wood. Build up a desired tone in steps and layers. If you do end up overdoing a bit here and there, you can take some steel wool and polish off some of the 'carbonized' wood to smooth out the tone of the finish.

The idea here again is to do some subtle tonal blending so it looks more natural

To create an overall blended feeling and pull the contrasting tones of the pole together, I lightly burnish or exaggerate an imperfection or unusual vertical grain(character)in the bamboo -- especially ones that run through more than one 'node section'. All this stuff helps to pull the effect you're creating together.

The trick is subtlety and graduated realism and not something that looks manufactured and too stark.

Additional ways to warm up the look are amber varnish or varnich mixed with stain. I'm sure similar info (and many more ideas) have probably been posted in other places on the site but, since I can't work on my own bar at the moment, I thought I'd try to contribute in other ways.
Aloha, my friends,
John

SPECIAL NOTE: when working out the tonal values and level of contrast between all the architectural elements you are creating for your bar, it's obviously also important to consider the lighting levels of the finished room, and how that will combine with what you've created to provide a unified design with the right balance of definition, detail and contrast and shading of all your materials. It really can make a huge difference in the overall look to consider the th relationships of 'cool' vs. 'warm' values with the colors you use and the range of tones of what invariably ends up being a majority of browns and beiges.

It's great if you can pick a group of complimentary tones and then work them in around the bar via your various materials and textures. It will really give you a pulled together, 'professional' look.

blah, blah, blah...what the hell do I know.
Just mentioning what has seemed to work for me.

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. Pupu Pants 2011-12-28 08:00 ]

Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-25 02:30 am   Permalink

Hi Guys, as I look for things to do until I am physically able to get back to work on Hula Sue's,
I've most recently bored you with home movies and waxed poetic on how to burn bamboo.

Here's an idea I've been planning to do for a long time and thought I'd mock up for my TC pals
(aaaaaaand make myself feel like I've made an honest to goodness creative contribution in a while).

Over the years, I've collected several of the old motion lamps that have fish
and other creatures of the sea swimming in circles -- just like in your finer aquariums.

The illustrations below are just quick Photoshop mock-ups but the actual effect does work pretty nicely
to combine the spinner mechanism and spinner (and even the outer shell of the motion lamp as in the first
example), to create a nice (if kitschy) tropical themed lamp.

In the Glass float, you can also use some 'actual fake' undersea foliage to camouflage the physical base of the motion lamp
which also helps add to the 3D feel of the scene.

Just in case there is anyone unfamiliar with these cool old lamps, they basically work by using the air movement
generated by the the heat disappation of a light bulb to turn a vented 'spinner' --helping create (sometimes with
multiple juxtaposing patterns) all kinds of fun animated scenes.

Hope you like them and hope you all had a great weekend,
John

jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-25 10:06 am   Permalink

OMG.

That just gave me a (minimally) related idea for lampness.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-26 2:11 pm   Permalink

Hey John good to see you up and around. Your lamp Ideas are cool! I actually have that motion lamp sitting in a box, great use of another item...... I love everthing you have done...

amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation