FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Hula Sue's South Seas Hideaway
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
Hula Sue's South Seas Hideaway
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-14 12:11 am   Permalink

I am humbled. Robb, I would love to give you a tour if you're ever in the 'neighborhood'.
I promise I'll post more very soon.

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-26 06:00 am   Permalink

Some new pics of work on the basement 'entrance'.
Carving the fake columns (made from assembled 2 x 6's).

Concept.

Partial installation of the actual entrance. The cross beams and trim work and the hole in the roof/awning with night sky showing through has yet to be added.

Corner view.

Another angle of the corner.

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. Pupu Pants 2009-01-26 06:11 ]

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-26 08:22 am   Permalink

NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO... NNNNNNOOOOO!

I don't believe my eyes, they are lying to me.

This whole thing is too awesome, and it cannot be real.

The new posts are incredible touches, an excellent break from bamboo poles or totems.

What gives you these superhuman skills of both design and construction???

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-26 10:19 am   Permalink

OOOOH! PRiiiiTTY!
you have such a wonderfull feel for atmosphere, balance, color,inspiration and general design.
Do you have any formal education in this stuff, or is it just a natural talent?
If this is a deity given thing, I need to have a word or 2 with my own personal ones,
Maybe there is something left in the gift bag for me!

View Profile of palapala Send a personal message to palapala  Email palapala     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-26 10:38 am   Permalink

Those columns look great! Can you give some detail on yopur process? Like, chisel or router? And how did you bring out the grain?

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-26 1:50 pm   Permalink

Dearest Robb, Palapala, 4WDTiki, you are all being waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too kind (but I sure do appreciate the nice feedback --thank you ).
I most certainly have no training in any of this (it's really more technique than talent). I've worked in film and video production and sometimes designed and put together sets --so that makes me think carefully about the placing of 'props' and design elements in an attempt to get the most visual impact. I've learned the contruction techniques as I've gone along on this project (and have the scars to prove it).

Palapala, in my view, all of this stuff is god given

4WDTiki, I used a router for the lines (even to outline the flowers). I then used the tried 'n true propane torch technique. I torched the wood to the point that the burned surface starts puckering and then I wire brush away the charred remains to get that nice 'rise' out of the grain (since the grain burns slower than the meat of the wood). Sometimes I'll do this twice.

Disneyland does this to some of it's woodwork but they more commonly use sandblasting to get the effect (ie--the beautifully textured wood railings and posts on some of the Fantasyland rides).

For the flowers, I got out the chisels and, using the routered outline, chiseled them out to give them more of a concaved carved look and texture to add a contrasting look. I stained the poles a dark brown and 'stipple brushed' a golden oak stain on the flowers for contrast and to make them look warm but slightly faded and aged.

On top of all that--a nice coat of satin polyurethane.

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. Pupu Pants 2009-01-26 13:59 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. Pupu Pants 2009-01-26 14:00 ]

leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-26 2:08 pm   Permalink

Your room is turning into one of my favorites on here.Such a great job!

Did you ever post pics of any of the other rooms in your house? If not be sure to do so.

Keep the pics coming! I like that you are using that padded diner bench set. Love the "hole" with the sky showing through. Nice touch!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-26 3:43 pm   Permalink

After you're done practicing on your room, I'll give you my address & you can do mine!
Great job! Love everything except, except, except....aw, crap, I can't find anything I don't like!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thisoldhippie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-01-26 6:30 pm   Permalink

Just to let you know - I bookmarked this link because your room is awesome. I am very new to this site but want to build a tiki lounge in an extra bedroom that I have and you have given me even more inspiration than I had to this point. The connection that you have to Disney and what you have done and are doing in your house is awesome! I have one daughter who works for Disney World, (she hangs out with Mickey, Minnie, etc.) and a younger daughter who wants to work in concept, so believe me, I know where you are coming from, lol! (Maybe you can tell me what she needs to do i.e. school, etc). Anyway, this room is as good as I've seen at Disney and is absolutely fantastic! PLEASE keep posting pics!!

View Profile of thisoldhippie Send a personal message to thisoldhippie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-26 7:17 pm   Permalink

Dang Mr. Pupu...this place is HOT! Damn nice. I love that bit of twilight showing through in you concept...choice.

Keep Posting!

Welcome to TC thissoldhippie...love the name

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thisoldhippie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-01-27 5:35 pm   Permalink

Thanks Babalu - love that one as well! My youngest daughter always calls me an old hippie, so I decided to run with it. I LOVE THIS SITE! It has become my home away from home to escape the realities of work and politics. I save my favorite pics and just spend time looking at them. Am I hooked on Tiki??? Is this what it's all about??

View Profile of thisoldhippie Send a personal message to thisoldhippie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-29 05:29 am   Permalink

It just gets better and better...really nice job. You are definitely an inspiration. PLUS>>>>you have the best name on the board.

[ This Message was edited by: VampiressRN 2009-01-29 05:30 ]

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-04 11:55 am   Permalink

Thank you all very much for the nice words.
I have a question about Lahala matting. I'd like to age it and give it that old, slightly darkened patina. Can any of you share recipes for finishes you've used? I'm guessing some mixture of stain and polyurethane or...?
Bamboo Ben does beautiful work with some kind of mixture.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-09 11:09 pm   Permalink

Bumping for my question.

woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-10 11:40 am   Permalink

It would seem from the high level of detail and creativity you're capable of that you of all people would be able to figure out how to get what you want. But here's my 15 cent's worth...

I've used all sorts of different things to age carvings, paintings, furniture, and natural mat like Lahala. Experimentation is best.

Ralph Lauren Paint has several different aging materials. I've used the Smoke one and like the effect. Home Depot carries the Ralph paint line.

Paint and wipe techniques generally work well: Apply a stain or thinned paint (I've also mixed water based stain and paint)and wipe off excess with a cloth. Whether the cloth is dry or damp or soaked in the material you're applying all depends on what sort of look you're going for.

The surface of some natural materials can be resistant to taking stain so finishes have to sit on the surface. A full wipe will often remove everything applied but a patting technique will work.

When I age something I don't want it to look like a piece of made in China "rustic" decor. Avoiding signs of brush strokes and wiping is important.

Many surfaces in a bar that have acquired a genuine patina of age have often been cleaned over time so broad flat surface areas might be essentially clean with all the "age" showing in the cracks and edges.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation