[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Blue Tiki Gurl
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Blue Tiki Gurl
octopussy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-12 08:23 am   Permalink

Well I've been MIA since I first joined a while ago. I'm back with some practice. I've been working on drawing the human figure. Here's an oil painting I just completed. I'm still working on hands and faces so that's why her face and hands are hiding lol.

[ This Message was edited by: octopussy 2008-05-15 09:05 ]

[ This Message was edited by: octopussy 2008-06-06 08:54 ]

[ This Message was edited by: octopussy 2008-07-23 06:35 ]

[ This Message was edited by: octopussy 2010-05-08 13:53 ]

View Profile of octopussy Send a personal message to octopussy  Goto the website of octopussy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sungod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-12 2:11 pm   Permalink

Hands and feet? Looks like you got the important parts right.

View Profile of sungod Send a personal message to sungod  Email sungod Goto the website of sungod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-12 5:42 pm   Permalink

I like the colors and wave texture. Giving the figure room to breathe with all that sky gives a vacationy escape feeling.

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-12 5:42 pm   Permalink

I like your way of thinking, plan your project to what you are able to do. Looks great!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
octopussy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-13 12:44 pm   Permalink

phew Sungod I wouldn't want to leave out the important ones!

Thanks Robb, nice compliment comming from an artist such as yourself!

You got it MadDogMike! Now where can I get some more photos like this? Guess I'll just have to keep working on those unimportant parts like faces and hands.

View Profile of octopussy Send a personal message to octopussy  Goto the website of octopussy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
octopussy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-15 09:04 am   Permalink

My OH's birthday is fast approaching and he's been bugging me to paint something for him to put up in our "soon" to be tiki bar (although if I don't like it he's free to put it in the pole barn). Specifically -one of Russell Falls in Tasmania with wahine's in it. With my artistic license in hand I did a quick sketch.

Then I primed a 2x4 ft piece of mdf board. This morning I was able to get time to block in some main parts of the rocks.

Next step is to get the oils flying!

Thanks for looking!
O

[ This Message was edited by: octopussy 2008-05-15 09:07 ]

[ This Message was edited by: octopussy 2008-05-15 09:09 ]

octopussy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-16 06:18 am   Permalink

Here's the next update. Still wet where the oil paint is and the lights not the best but it gives you the picture.

Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-19 11:34 pm   Permalink

Its looking swell as did your other painting. The great thing about painting is you can always paint over your mistakes, so go ahead and do the face on the wahine 12 -14 times, get fed up and then paint hair over it, it's all good! Nice figure painting BTW!

Your work looks like acrylic the way you treat the colors in bands and separate them, which is fine. Part of the beauty of oil is in the scumbling and mixing wet paint into wet paint on the canvas or dragging a fairly dry brush with a hint of another shade across the top. You can also do semi-transparent glazes just like in acrylic, substituting oil, drying medium, and thinner in any combination for water.

To be able to glaze faster over a lower layer, add drying medium to your paint, to dry slowly for wet into wet, add extra oil in to your paint. Oil paintings can get really thick so don't be afraid of too much paint and remember drying medium or Alkyd is your friend. Then glaze away!

I'm assuming of course that these are not water based oil paints, of which I know Jack...

Okay! now go critique my work, it needs it! I have learned so much about acrylic paint from the peeps here, I need more clues an' cues tho.

Paint on bruthaman!

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-05-20 12:06 pm   Permalink

Keep practicing those heads and hands. The more you do, the better you get.

When GROG was young, GROG have a hard time with hands, but then GROG buckle down and spend a concentrated effort on drawing hands, and now GROG really enjoy drawing hands. Hands are an important part of acting in animation, so GROG glad GROG put in the effort to get better at drawing them.

Julie, you have some very nice watercolors on your website. Keep up the good work.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
octopussy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-20 4:27 pm   Permalink

Hi SneakyTiki,

Thanks for the info on the oils, I'm still playing around with them and can use all the help any ones willing to give me! I did start with acrylics, self taught, so I may have bad habits to pass on...
but your stuff is pretty fun.

Thanks GROG, I love Grog drinks, my Favorite character on BC is Grog and now I've got some great advice from GROG! Thanks (loved your art on the cover of Tiki mag by the way). I've been practicing life drawings (including hands and feet)several nights a week while others watch tv. Faces give me the biggest challenge. I've looked for books on drawing faces but haven't seen anything yet that floats my boat. Anyone have any good references?

Here's a few updates on the waterfall wip...

next comes the water, loads more tweaking and somewhere along the way I add the people they'll have bikinis on this time, (need to keep to pg in our house due to other peoples kids)

Thanks for looking -
O

octopussy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-23 2:11 pm   Permalink

Here's the next update. I've been working with the water, adding more details. Need to do more work on the rocks, but will save that for later. Once I get more layers on the water I'll start thinking about where I want the people. I've decided to skip the swim suits, just have strategic placed flowers and plants.

Thanks to GROG some will have faces and hands. I have been diligently working on my drawings and am now starting to become satisfied with my results. If not... well it's oil paint I can clean the slate and start over!

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-26 05:56 am   Permalink

Julie,

Your work is beautiful. I'm glad you have chosen to share it with us. I love your water scenes The boobies are nice too.....

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
octopussy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-29 05:43 am   Permalink

Hi Gman,

Thanks! OH's getting excited about putting this one up. He's going to have to wait a while though, as this one's taking time!
Boobies? What Boobies?

Here's the latest updates

I darkened the water and kept working on plants and rocks

In this one I started making it look more like a rain forest and less like Canada (no offense, it's just not to warm there!)

I was hoping to put a tiki under the waterfall ie the log, but too much water covered it up.

Hopefully when it's a bit dryer I'll be able to start adding the people. Any maybe a bird...

Thanks for looking.

octopussy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-01 5:43 pm   Permalink

Here's the next update:

I've started to add the peps. Had to do a dude, after all I prefer the male models as do some others. I'll be adding two wahines later.

here's a closeup of the peps

here's a closeup of the Canadian side.

Any suggestions for birds? Not to hip on a macaw but those are the only flying birds with color that I have.

Julie

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-01 6:40 pm   Permalink

Canadian dudes? What the....? Looks great Julie! I imagine it is only going to get better as you add more layers (and boobies )

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation