FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » fresh start . . . update - 8/25
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
fresh start . . . update - 8/25
Toataiaha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-28 10:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-28 22:15, pdrake wrote:
thanks, toataiaha, i love the info. this wood is not too heavy so it will probably be a display piece. it's still far from done.

No worries mate .
The thing is with edged Patu , they are Blades , not clubs .
Same with the Taiaha , it is a double ended , two handed , LongSword .

Jock

View Profile of Toataiaha Send a personal message to Toataiaha      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-28 10:42 pm   Permalink

heath, it's beef bone.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-28 10:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-28 22:41, Toataiaha wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-05-28 22:15, pdrake wrote:
thanks, toataiaha, i love the info. this wood is not too heavy so it will probably be a display piece. it's still far from done.

No worries mate .
The thing is with edged Patu , they are Blades , not clubs .
Same with the Taiaha , it is a double ended , two handed , LongSword .

Jock

and they were usually carved from whale bone, like a kotiate.

i also thought the style of club i was carving was a patu-paraoa, but i'm just a white guy in las vegas. i'm sure there are lot's of things i don't know and am always happy to learn from the source. kia ora mate! seriously.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Toataiaha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-29 12:42 am   Permalink

'Patu paraoa' is simply whale bone club . The design is , whatever it is .
In your case , it is a 'patu rakau waha-ika ' a 'wooden fish-mouth club '
A point here is that the term 'club' is a misnomer . Whoever came up with that one must have been looking at a blunt one .

This transcript from Te Papa Museum may interest you .
there is a short video too

""
Erana
And we’ve got a couple of hand held weaponry here, in particular the kotiate. Now those of you who may not have seen a kotiate before, as you can notice it is of a different shape, has a couple of niches in here. Dion how does the kotiate work?

Dion
For all the boys who are doing kapa haka, they are most probably familiar with the kotiate. It’s… the English terminology for it is what we term as a cleave. We don’t use the term club, ‘cause club basically means that you don’t need to aquire any sort of prowess when you’re fighting. But with the likes of the kotiate, the wahaika, the patu parâoa, the patu râkau, the mere pounamu, all those other types of patu, there’s skill that’s required and you need to master them. Basically, the functionality of this particular taonga, is that…say for instance if you have the taiaha which I had previously, if it was struck down towards you, basically you could offer a block (if you can just catch that in there). So I would catch the taiaha…and there is a groove, (I don’t know if you can see it, but there is a black sort of curtain behind me) but anyway it would be caught in this area here. And that’s why the young guys would work on their flexibility to strengthen their wrists so as they could actually snap…like so - you’re most probably familiar with this – and basically destroy your opponent’s weapon. ""

http://www.digitalconversations.org.nz/vc/weaponry/mov/4/?video-size=transcript

na Jock

View Profile of Toataiaha Send a personal message to Toataiaha      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-29 12:52 am   Permalink

keep up the good work my friend.work work work

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-29 10:05 am   Permalink

thanks, marcus. hope you guys are doing great!

thanks for the post jock. that's a lot of great information. i really appreciate it.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-29 4:14 pm   Permalink

here are a couple of pictures with daylight.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-30 12:35 pm   Permalink

almost done.

harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-30 1:19 pm   Permalink

sweet inlay work pdrake!!

me likey.

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-30 5:04 pm   Permalink

Nice, very cool looking, so white and the shell WOW!

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-30 5:18 pm   Permalink

thanks, harro and seeksurf.

i cut both pieces of paua from the same shell next to each other so they'd kind of match grain wise. it's all about learning and trying new things.

it's extra white and very shiny now that i've given it the final polish. i just have to finish the lashing and it will be ready to move to market. just about 15 minutes of work left. i say i have about 4-6 hours into this piece. if it ever sells i'll be making about minimum wage. oh, well, it's either this or dunk fries at a local fast food joint. (not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-30 5:20 pm   Permalink

That is a really nice piece. Good work man!

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-30 5:25 pm   Permalink

Pdrake- awesome job! Did you already get the shell with the rough side already polished or did you sand it down yourself. I had issues when I tried to sand the rough side down with all the bumps and pockets, it was hard to tell the thickness (for me anyways) just wondered if you had any pointers because I'm about to do some shell work.

Thanks,
Craig

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-30 5:32 pm   Permalink

thanks matt and craig.

craig, i buy the shells already sanded off. they run about $15US. they aren't polished, just sanded down. i'm sorry, i don't remember where i bought them. i think it was from ebay.

JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-30 6:47 pm   Permalink

Sweet inlay work!

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation