FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Paipo's Stone Tikis V2.0 - 2011
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 Next Page )
Paipo's Stone Tikis V2.0 - 2011
kiwishaman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-17 2:49 pm   Permalink

Paipo I hate to tell you this, but your thread continues to be haunted lol.

Great stuff there - wow - but if only I could make such exquistite pieces.

"Excellent work Sir!!"

KS

View Profile of kiwishaman Send a personal message to kiwishaman  Goto the website of kiwishaman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-17 11:33 pm   Permalink

Paipo, my man! I missed you while wiling away the weekend in San Diego. My good friend, Buzzy, hooked me up with a certain pendant that Gecko was doing for you! I'm quite thrilled to have my own (authorized, I hope) copy of that fine piece! As for the results of my hunt for unauthorized copies of your designs, that information will be provided in a PM.

The Austral Islands Drum Mask garnered many favorable reviews over the weekend. At one point, there was an accidental gathering of three of us wearing our Paipos, including Bullet, Ernie and I. You were well represented, yet sorely missed!

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-18 03:10 am   Permalink

GreenCarvings - you got it. I'll post the pics of the back of that piece anyway once they're done. Whatever the beast, just picture a pair of nostrils with a pierced septum and you're on the right track...

timid - I thought those exotic beasts looked Burmese. Next to my much-loved Abyssinian (who also endures many hours of toddler torture with nary a hiss) they are my favourite choice for another pet. I'll have to look into that breed, although I suspect the siamese DNA could be a sticking point with the wife!

Robb - it's because we can't afford cheese here anymore! I guess we tend to focus on more authentically based work, because we are a Pacific/Polynesian nation and have a huge amount of great source material at hand. Although I'm sure you're referring to the more lowest-common-denominator style of goofy grins shallowly etched into cylinders , I'm actually a big fan of North American cheese (of the more refined classic variety) and am always working to get a handle on this whole "Poly Pop" thing.

Duddy - yep! that why I dig 'em! Should be another 1 or 2 on the way soon!

Kiwishaman - thanks for healing page 14. I'm still wondering if this phenomenon is entirely contained within this thread, or is occurring elsewhere?
Keep honing your skills and you will get there - you've got to remember some of us have been at this for a very long time now (almost 10 years of stoning for me...)

Jen - sorry to hear about your Oasis mishap - but on the plus side you got to hang with "Mr Tiki 2008"! Post a pic of the Gecko piece here when you can as I haven't yet seen it. It is indeed legit and authorised - Kinny's original piece went from NZ, to Hawaii, back to NZ and then on to California. I've told him he now has to take it to Rapa Nui someday to complete the Polynesian triangle!
I'm hoping those resins might be used as some sort of combo with the mug when it's finally released. Good to hear no Piepo™ pieces were spotted at Oasis and that the originals were out in force!

I didn't have much luck with the camera today, but here's one of the finished pieces from the last couple of days - "Anakena Beachcomber":

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kiwishaman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-18 04:10 am   Permalink

wow - bold, simple, solid.

awesome . . . . again

KS

View Profile of kiwishaman Send a personal message to kiwishaman  Goto the website of kiwishaman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-18 04:16 am   Permalink

Paipo, this "Anakena Beachcomber" is a powerful looking soul seemingly singing a "Huki-Lau" song or something similar. He is really trying to get something across and long as it isn't his Right then we're OK. I Love this Bold, powerful design.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SCTikiShack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-18 08:55 am   Permalink

Paipo,

You have been one of my favorite artist here on tiki central for quite a while now.
It is excellent how all of your pieces are unique, the mark of a true artist.

Keep up the good work.

You have inspired me to carve some stone pieces, many out of jade, alabaster or other stones I find on the beach.
In your work it is evident that you must be a very patient man.

It takes me as long to carve a 4in jade tiki as it does an 6ft wood one.
That is why I mostly stick to wood.

Take care and get some waves for me,
Will

View Profile of SCTikiShack Send a personal message to SCTikiShack  Email SCTikiShack Goto the website of SCTikiShack     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-18 09:06 am   Permalink

Paipo, you are one of my favorites also, I check your thread on a regular basis.. I love how your pieces are so perfect, flawless and beautifully designed. They are expressive and they each have a life of their own.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-18 12:14 pm   Permalink

Really cool. I also love the rocks necklace. And the moai looks perfect. Very minimalist, futurist, modern.
I also love your art, and would love to get one of your fantastic artwork.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-18 2:27 pm   Permalink

Wow...thanks for all the very kind comments KS, Ben, Will, hil and virani. It really is appreciated - I've got a lot of tiki to get through and it's great to know when I'm on the right track.

I definitely wanted a "Tiki Modern" look with this guy, and he's also based on some of those cool whittled surfer/beachcomber necklaces from the 60s that I've seen on ebay. I like the concept of some dude camped out on a Rapa Nui beach for a couple of weeks, making his own souvenir out of found stones. All my other moai pieces have been much more classically influenced and quite stern looking, so I wanted this one to lighten up a little. Once he was done there was no question he needed the chunky stone necklace to hang from, even though it meant more hours of work.

PS Will, I'll be looking to satisfy that request today - I've been criminally neglectful of my outdoor pursuits this year. Right now I'm off to check out your jade work...

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-18 2:51 pm   Permalink

jonesEy had the refurbish you did on too. it was the first time i saw grog's paipo in person. what a gorgeous piece! i've seen jen's before and really dig it too. i was sporting skull of yatumba v2.0 myself. i really hope you can make it to a tiki oasis.

bangin' my slit gong drum until the cops come!

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-18 9:06 pm   Permalink

Yeah...we really missed you a Oasis Paipo. Next year brother?...bring that Tama guy with you too

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 03:10 am   Permalink

Great to see you stop by again Bullet - I had a feeling you might be wearing your skull to Oasis this year. He's definitely got the zombie/voodoo vibe going on. I've just spent a chunk of the evening catching up on all the pics and it looks like you guys had a blinder - especially those room parties

Likewise Babs - I missed being there, and seeing all the pics of my pendants having fun makes me jealous as hell! I love the show of hands thread you posted. Gotta get my mitts in on the next one!

More stuff - I'm going to keep some momentum in this thread from now on with any luck:

Koropepe finished...

Lono's progress...this one is gonna be a real time-eater! Easily the longest (and therefore the largest) pebble yet....

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 06:32 am   Permalink

The new stuff is excellent!! Lono's tend to have a huge appetite for time and effort - but well worth it. I crossed the continent to go to Oasis and you were represented nicely. It seemed like every other person I met was wearing something from you. Way to go!!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 10:33 am   Permalink

Man-O-man, Paipo! That Lono is going to be fab-U-lous. I have really enjoyed watching your recent stones. As Will stated - your patience and discipline show in everything you make. Love it. Love your work.

-G

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GreenCarvings
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-19 11:45 pm   Permalink

And so the curse carrys to pg 15...

that koropepe is awesome paipo beautifull clean lines.
and i see the hole as well looks like it goes pretty deep? mine are usually quite shallow other wise my cord wont thread through...

View Profile of GreenCarvings Send a personal message to GreenCarvings      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation