FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Paipo's Stone Tikis V2.0 - 2011
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 Next Page )
Paipo's Stone Tikis V2.0 - 2011
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-10 02:50 am   Permalink

Why do I always get the ghost page? Is it for my ghosting around your shed?
Ghost or not, #54 is a Powerful but Happy looking tiki, Just who you would want for a buddy. Aw C'mon, we were just starting to LOVE those round stone necklaces, they are the Perfect answer to this guy's hard straight lines and really help make the total piece.
A Lono from Ben? Maybe soon maybe!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-10 08:52 am   Permalink

Paipo...you are just too much brother. #54 is soooo tight!

You might find this interesting? My mother in-law purchased this necklace at a NY auction back in the mid 60's...It is suppose to be pre-Colombian, but I really don't know for sure. The holes that pierce the stones are really interesting...they taper in diameter from the outside edges of the stone to the center of the stone - from both sides of the stones piercings.

Keep cranking out this fantastic work Sir P....As Benz would say "happy, happy, happy!"

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GreenCarvings
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-09-11 11:14 pm   Permalink

Beautiful paipo!

View Profile of GreenCarvings Send a personal message to GreenCarvings      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-12 9:31 pm   Permalink

Thanks again all!
Babs, I love the random yet obviously well thought out nature of that necklace. The biconical (hourglass) holes are a good indicator of genuine neolithic workmanship and were usually made by one of these (posted by Toataiaha in the stone thread):

Artists' exhibition Te Kaha-nui-a-tiki District High School, Te Kaha. Dr Doug Sinclair demonstrates traditional drilling techniques. June 1973
Our first day at "Rock School" involved going to the beach and bush, finding the materials to construct one of these, and then using it to drill through a jade slab (which nearly all of us succeeded in doing).

Which brings me to the latest:

Before....

After!

This one is based on several old half-done pieces I saw in the museum up North, which were just a series of holes and grooves with no real details. This pebble has been earmarked for a pekapeka for over a year now - like the Lono, and the piece I am working on now (another jade), part of a backlog of stalled projects that I have found a new energy for.

Also, after months of bad luck, poor timing and illness I finally got some water time in this week (2 mornings running). I had literally been out maybe twice since April, but I doubled that this week! Only had time for a quick shot out the car window yesterday, but I know you fellow waveriders like to see a glimpse of the sea:

The guy in the shot is a friend of mine who also happens to be a jade and stone carver (and a bloody good one at that). Just the two of us out both mornings!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-15 5:02 pm   Permalink

Interesting angle, and sweeeeet offshores!
Oh, and your carving is F---'ing unbelievable!
I honestly don't know how you do it. Now that I've tried, and hacked and mangled perfectly good pieces of stone...I just don't know. Top notch tools would only help me a tiny bit! I think I'll carve pieces of jade that look like rock slabs...or maybe plain squares! Grumble grumble.

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-16 7:22 pm   Permalink

Wassup Paipo? I'm hearing fast and furious working sounds coming from your shed, What you Hiding??Hey? What Color izzit???:P

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-17 07:53 am   Permalink

Gorgeous looking stone I'm not sure what it is? snake worm?

Good to see and hear about the surf! Yes, you should recharge your self more.

Myself I just came home from another week of surf and carving at the coast good summer for me.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-17 09:05 am   Permalink

pekapeka

Pekapeka are named after the small native New Zealand bat (Chalinolobus morio), which they might be said to resemble in appearance. The pekapeka form fuses together two opposing manaia (stylised beaked figures) heads into a single form.

A rare form

Like their reclusive native namesakes, pekapeka pendants are rare relative to hei tiki (neck pendants), which exist in museum collections in large numbers.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-17 1:53 pm   Permalink

Surfin - I'm sitting in my car on the breakwall, looking down. The takeoff zone was literally a stone's throw away right next to the rocks this day. Gotta love a 10 second paddle to the lineup! Patience grasshopper - top results with jade take lots of time and careful finishing . There is no other material that is so unforgiving when it comes to showing up where the time and attention to detail have not been put in. Get the basics down, then focus on the hand finishing to bring out the best in the stone.

Ben - well, you know what's coming, and it's looking really nice about now but still not quite ready for the unveiling. Soon....still some more of that painstaking hand finishing to go, using every stick and scrap of abrasive in the box of tricks!

Seeksurf - see Perry's reply. I'm obsessed with these bird-headed/beaked figures and have carved all the different styles of them I can find. Still got one more to come!

Perry - thanks! There actually are quite a few of these guys in NZ museums, certainly Te Papa and Auckland, but they never made it into the big-time like the regular manaia or hei tiki. I still think of the koropepe and pekapeka as essentially just manaia figures - sometimes the name can be misleading.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-18 12:41 am   Permalink

This pekapeka is amazing. It makes me think of Todd couper's perfection.

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-19 01:36 am   Permalink

Thanks Benjamin. Still a way to go to reach those heights I think, but that's a very nice compliment! I still need to add that book to my shelves too.
Here's my newest bird(?) - "Ariki Manu":

[ This Message was edited by: Paipo 2008-09-19 01:37 ]

benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-19 05:27 am   Permalink

This compliment is good for "Ariki Manu" too !
Kahui Whetu is a must have book, indeed, you'll find a lot of inspiration in it, even if to me you don't need inspiration.

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-19 08:15 am   Permalink

Oh my! That's just beautiful! So fluid and elegant! This may be my favorite, Paipo! I'll raise a cocktail to your talent this evening!

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-19 08:18 am   Permalink

wowowowow!

that is incredible. lot's of symbolism going on there. eating it's tail, huh?

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-19 09:21 am   Permalink

Sigh....sigh. Outstanding as always. Your interpretations and refined sense of line is poetic. Just beautiful work.

View Profile of Robin Send a personal message to Robin  Email Robin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation