FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Paipo's Stone Tikis V2.0 - 2011
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 Next Page )
Paipo's Stone Tikis V2.0 - 2011
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-12 1:56 pm   Permalink

Oh wow!! (I know you don't have time to answer so please don't answer this) But I have to tell you ,that piece is the most amazing thing I ever seen! congrats on the award but more congrats on being able to pop this out of your head , and make it a so perfect piece! Droooolll

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-12 5:52 pm   Permalink

Clarita, thanks for the bump. I've been meaning to post and thank everyone for a while, but yet again I wanted to wait til I had something new to post. So thanks for all the messages of congratulations and the perseverance with my infrequently updated thread. I am always thinking tiki, looking at it and even drawing it - just not carving it lately!

A few Qs to answer:

Quote:

On 2009-02-15 04:45, JenTiki wrote:
So which piece won an award? Pics please!

Tama posted some catalogue pics, but the photo didn't show my piece in detail and I never got any myself before dropping it at the gallery. I finished working on it literally 30 minutes before the deadline, and dropped it off with 15 to spare! I decided I had to make another for my next show (and take plenty of photos this time):

Surfcast - on the surface pretty simple - a USB memory stick encased in a pebble....but, the stick contains a short song-length video file (in several formats to be compatible with most devices) filmed on location the day the stone was gathered. Looking into the waves from a "Stone's eye" perspective on the beach, the effect is somewhat disorienting with no horizon in sight (although the sea itself creates a constantly changing horizontal plane) and the heat haze shimmering off the stones in the foreground:

So the piece plays on concepts of memory and place, as well as contrasting the ancient (stone amulets) with the contemporary (portable devices and podcasts). I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, even more so that the judge got what I was aiming for!

Quote:

On 2009-02-15 08:34, surfintiki wrote:
Wow. How often is it good there?

Like that ? Hardly ever, but we have had a ton of great sessions at that break and the connecting banks down the beach this summer. Looking real good for this weekend with a groomed swell, offshores and a 17 second period

Quote:

On 2009-02-26 06:26, Aweulekuula wrote:
What stone is the Shark Fisherman carved from and is he for sale/trade?

Thanks Marcus - had he been available I would have been in touch sooner, but he went to a regular buyer pretty quickly after I posted him. Usually I post here before anywhere else, so often a piece is still available when it first appears in the thread. The stone is my typical greywacke beach pebble, luckily a very clean and tight specimen as this guy was reasonably fine-boned!

Quote:

On 2009-02-26 08:35, TheBigT wrote:
Paipo - congrats on the award! Did you get a trophy? Let's see it.

Unfortunately no - but I did keep the envelope my cheque came in! The catalogue is also a sweet reminder/keepsake of what is easily the highlight of my not-so-brief career.

Well, thanks again to everyone for some pretty lavish praise. I finished all the tikis I mentioned a month or two ago so I better get busy with a box of stones and a black pen! Here's the last of that bunch:

#66 - Baby Buma

As the name implies, just a wee fella at about 1 1/2" long, and the eyes are inlaid silver.

Thanks for looking!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-12 6:31 pm   Permalink

'Baby Buma', I love the title!

Interesting to hear a little more of the concept behind the Surfcast piece; thanks for that. There I was thinking you were just very very very clever..

*How about a fresh round of applause for our boy? Well done mate!

ps: still the 'Peoples Choice' Award to come..

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-12 7:58 pm   Permalink

paipo

the storage device is unbelievable! great idea and a wonderful job of pulling it off. baby buma is pretty awesome as well. once again a masterful job that continues to inspire me to do better.

bd

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-12 10:41 pm   Permalink

Damn! I'm jealous!!!Your work is too perfect and your inspiration has no limits...
That said, I started a USB stick in a piece of black palm,I did it so fine that it was cracked ....
I do not despair, I would restart him , even if you have the scoop!!

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-13 12:12 am   Permalink

Rhys, good to see you checking back in and thanks for the story behind the Surfcast.

A wonderful idea, especially encasing technology in nature, love the "stone's eye view" concept!

And again swinging for the fences on your latest creation and hitting it out of the ballpark!

Envious of the surf... I've been dry for about 4 months now... going crazy but not much you can do when the water is iced in and funds are not available for a surfari someplace warm. I hope I get my surflegs back when I do find myself back in the lineup.

Enjoy your incoming swell, and keep up the great work!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-13 06:43 am   Permalink

Well well, look what happens when I disappear a few days(weeks?), Nice stuff Paipo. Really Brilliant idea with the Surfcast and it's Double great that the judge understood what you did.
THEN you throw in the 'Baby Buma" with Silver eye inlays even! Another Off the shelf Pipe dream to wow the peeps!
Just Where DO you come up with these ideas? Very well done and Big thanks for giving us the update too.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-13 10:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-12 17:52, Paipo wrote:

Surfcast - on the surface pretty simple - a USB memory stick encased in a pebble....but, the stick contains a short song-length video file (in several formats to be compatible with most devices) filmed on location the day the stone was gathered. Looking into the waves from a "Stone's eye" perspective on the beach, the effect is somewhat disorienting with no horizon in sight (although the sea itself creates a constantly changing horizontal plane) and the heat haze shimmering off the stones in the foreground:

So the piece plays on concepts of memory and place, as well as contrasting the ancient (stone amulets) with the contemporary (portable devices and podcasts). I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, even more so that the judge got what I was aiming for!

OOoOOOHHhhhhh! You are so clever and with such a nice heart!
What blows me away, is all this cleverness, craft and concept focused in the stone perspective. I think this says "Thank you" to the material (the natural stone siting in it's natural place), like nothing else could! And to me that means you are a great artist, because you are a humble person willing to say thanks to a stone!
Bravo! and thanks! Nothing makes me more happy than finding some meaning in peoples art and/or art (way) of living.... Sigh...

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-13 11:01 am   Permalink

Wow! That is not at all what I expected, but it's so cool! I may have to discuss one of those hidden sticks within a carved pebble with you for my birthday present to myself.

And Baby Buma is adorable! I'm sure he'll get snatched up pretty quickly.

There haven't been any major tiki events in my neck of the woods lately, so I haven't had a lot of opportunity to wear my Paipos, but I'm looking forward to sporting them at Oasis this year! I love that when I wear an original Paipo, I know I won't see anything like it around the neck of anyone else at the event. I really like some of the resin pendants I have from you and other artists, but there is just something so special about the one-of-a-kind stone pieces you create. You are a treasure to the community, and I'm always proud to call you my friend. Rock on!

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-13 7:54 pm   Permalink

Great thinking! Looks like a winner.
Do you remember the pet rocks in 70's

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-14 6:47 pm   Permalink

Aloha Paipo -

Surfcast is BRILLIANT - I'm completely blown away. Really astounding concept, and (as always) beautiful execution. Paipo no ka oi!

Henrik

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-15 06:11 am   Permalink

Paipo, I "have" to chime in here with everyone else....

Surfcast...Surfcast is just absolutely wonderful! You are truly an amazing artist. I LOVE the way you see.

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Marty

Posted: 2009-03-15 2:41 pm   Permalink

Dude, your work is insane man!!! I love it!

View Profile of Marty Send a personal message to Marty      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-14 3:51 pm   Permalink

BUMP, You do the rest!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-14 3:57 pm   Permalink

GENIUS!

THE PEBBLE CONCEPT/PIECE IS CLASS...PURE CLASS!

and baby Buma makes me SMILE!

#66,eh? that's a lot of grinding!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation