FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Paipo's Stone Tikis V2.0 - 2011
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 Next Page )
Paipo's Stone Tikis V2.0 - 2011
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-16 1:59 pm   Permalink

Oh man, thanks for all the awesome compliments, and the bump! You guys are incredibly supportive and I feel kinda slack for not having anything to share lately, and also for not responding in kind to all the awesome stuff I see here. What little studio time I've had has been devoted mainly to my contemporary jewellery, but I am working on a very cool (and very tiki) piece that is taking sooo long, but it's getting closer every day. One of those ones where I just have to do a little bit each time before it does my head in and I need to stop and think about the next step.
Tama and I have also signed up for a Whakairo (trad Maori carving course) taught by an incredible master carver & artist, so there may be some bigger and better things to come. Watch this space!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-16 2:13 pm   Permalink

the suspense is maintained, more than expected, waiting.....

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-05 11:01 pm   Permalink

I've let the tiki torch flicker and wane, but it's starting to burn a little brighter now:

Maui went to the village where his parents lived. His father told him he had heard of his doings, but he
thought he could not do one thing—which was, to overcome Hine-nui-o-te-po (the great goddess of the night).
He remembered that when he baptized him he left out some part of the ceremony, and he feared he would,
after all, perish because of that omission.
Then Maui asked his father: 'What is my ancestress Hine-nui-te-po like?'
He answered: 'What you see yonder shining so brightly red are her eyes, and her teeth are as sharp and hard
as pieces of volcanic glass; her body is like that of a man, and as for the pupils of her eyes, they are jasper;
and her hair is like tangles of long seaweed, and her mouth is like that of a barracouta.'

#67 - Hine-nui-te-Po

I laid down my first wood cuts the other night and my respect for chizzlers has increased tenfold! When I finally got my rhythm going with the mallet and chisel it was a total buzz (and I think also the beginning of a beautiful friendship!)
I'll post some stuff up once I get started on my personal project.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-05-06 12:50 am   Permalink

Yay!!! Paipo's back!

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-06 01:04 am   Permalink

Nice work! Love it when there is a story behind objects.

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-06 08:18 am   Permalink

Goddess of Death and Night is Stellar!
The legend really added to the piece
thanks for sharing that!
BEEEE-U-TI-FUL!
The grace and the lines and the curves...
how the heck did you get that one part to curve under the other?
Maybe Pele's given you some pointers on vitrification?
because no human can carve like that..
Oh wait...we're talking about paipo...
Carry on!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-06 08:22 am   Permalink

Absolutly Awesome! Wood carver now too? Can't wait to see it.

View Profile of tikimecula Send a personal message to tikimecula  Email tikimecula Goto the website of tikimecula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-06 08:36 am   Permalink

Paipo! glad your back, I see you have added a new style....nice!!!

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-06 9:21 pm   Permalink

The lighting in this shot is the icing on the cake:

Wood carving now, you say?
Let's see!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-07 04:59 am   Permalink

You're in the summit of your art with stone and you try wood! Respect from me! But I'm sure what a new summit is not far for you...

the great goddess of the night is absoluty awesome!!!!!!!!!

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
greentikipat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-08 3:36 pm   Permalink

DAMN MAN!!!!!!!
i just spent the last 3 or so hrs going through all 30+ pgs of this thread! i am BLOWN AWAY and don't know what to say. i am stunned, overwhelmed, a little dismayed, and yet COMPLETELY inspired all at once. i am taking too long to write this and mostly just shaking my head and sighing deeply. dude.

View Profile of greentikipat Send a personal message to greentikipat  Email greentikipat Goto the website of greentikipat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-08 6:26 pm   Permalink

Welcome back, Rhys!

Everyone needs a battery recharge now and then, I've had many throughout the years.

Every return back is filled with more passion than before, and I can really see it in your latest piece!

I too love the story that goes with this one.

Wonderful detail and color!

It also has a great feeling of fierceness and gentleness about it. Everytime I look at it, it stimulates different feelings.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-08 8:33 pm   Permalink

Paipo, your girl ios Definitely incredible. Sorry for being so late posting here but I figured I would let everyone chime in so I wouldn't be "Always " the first . I can see where you agonized about the time spent on her and how you hated doing it but loved it so much you wouldn't cut the corners. Very Well done mate!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-12 12:59 am   Permalink

Damn, Paip' you're killing me with those waves !

Bravo,

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-12 04:21 am   Permalink

Oh Boy, I get to be the first post on the Ghost page.

These 2 shots Really show the workmanship you put into this piece Paipo. It shows that you really care about your work and that you sacrificed the time spent to get the utmost detail out of that meager River Rock than you could possibly get, transforming it from a lump of stone into a true work of art worthy of any museum collection.
BRAVO Sir! Five Stars for sure...OH, but Wait, I See a flaw, send her to me and I'll fix it right up?

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation