FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Paipo's Stone Tikis V2.0 - 2011
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 Next Page )
Paipo's Stone Tikis V2.0 - 2011
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-01 04:28 am   Permalink

Well, another 4 weeks or have slipped by, and once more I'm a little remiss in responding to all the nice stuff people have to say. First things first...

GROG - I never left, just switched from "post" to "lurk". Now I'm back again - after another month!

cheekytiki: It is is probably a little easier when the story is already written as it was in this case...but I am trying to make the pieces more "character-driven", whether through my own ideas or adapting existing tales. New guy (below) I think fits this mold pretty well...

KINNY! kinny...kinny! Still providing my biggest fix of eye-candy and inspiration on TC! Much of the aforementioned lurking is devoted to keeping up with your offerings. I'm not posting...but I am always watching....

As for the "crossover", it's just a deep undercut. Not easy to clean up when you have another layer overlapping where you're trying to reach with the tools, but still one of the best ways of making a flat stone look a lot deeper and get some more dramatic shadows happening!

T-mec - yes, well a student at least. We're actually working to a pretty tight deadline with our class so I'm holding off posting until I'm sure I'll finish my piece! Anyway, before I can consider myself a carver I've really got to hook up some chisels (which I will be doing via that way-cheaper-than-NZ website you posted).

Amy - I'm so glad you're back posting and carving again too. Shame I missed your party again - a trip to the desert would be just the ticket right now!

Bowana - well, you'll probably like the latest batch of pics below. Light is also becoming part of the story for some of these characters I'm working on, and I try and get a couple of "Black Velvet" pics of each new piece. As for shots of my wood - see reply to T-Mec! Pics...soon?

laojia - I'm definitely right back at base camp now, and looking up at the lofty heights. The tradition and artistry in this country are unsurpassed, but if I can even learn or absorb just a fraction of that greatness I will be happy. Watching a master carver using the chisels with my own eyes has been a revelation!

Pat - thanks for taking the time to trawl through the archives. You're another person I'm stoked to see back posting and in action with the diamond burrs, and brushes...and needle. Seems like a lot of the regular posters form the last couple of years have been busy with life sometimes overtaking art. I am taking too long to write this too

Lake/Dave - yes, it's been good have a break and not push too hard for a while. I'm often pulled in many different directions with work and home life and it can be tough to choose which path to take. One that's been easy to follow lately is the lure of the sea - two consecutive 3-day weekends of pumping conditions have slaked my thirst and I now need a break from that too. A warm shed is looking very inviting this week! Hope you're getting some freshwater goodness!

Ben - Thanks (for all the many replies and bumps).
I know you always understand how much work these pieces take. Only one flaw? I can see a few in that photo, but fortunately you won't be able find all of them unless you visit this wahine in her new home on the West Coast (and I'm not talking about my West Coast). Speaking of ghost pages, unless you beat me to it , I think this post will exorcise the ghost of page 34! *Fingers crossed*

Benjamin - I like the view from the back just as much too. I had a small obsession with these crossed-over notches, which I think I've satisfied now. Originally the piece was going to be little more than an overlapping form, but somehow it developed a life of its own...

tikibad - thanks too for taking the time to dig back through the thread. I do it myself sometimes to where I've made progress and where I can make more. Hope you like the new piece!

Clarita - succinct and to the point. I like it!

seeks - hope you've been finding and not just seeking! I like to think these guys are alive too, especially once the eyes go in!

tikifreak - it seems a couple of pages in my thread covers a period of months these days, where it used to be weeks. I think I have some catching up to do too...

Iokona - Cheers! Pull up a chair, have a sift through the archive and enjoy!

Henrik - well, I already sort of replied, but yes - I'm in! Thinking I had plenty of time, I now notice half of the 2 months we had has already disappeared into the aether. I better get cracking!

Ben (again..x2!) We're almost there...just a little further....

Kinny - 1 month on - yes! Waves! Check out the next pics....

Perry! WOW! This is like a class of '06 reunion! Whatcha been up to man?

Phew! Gonna take a break, pics to follow in another post cause this one is now officially H U G E! Hang in there!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-01 05:03 am   Permalink

The colours are pretty funky (but also kinda cool) cause of the sinking late afternoon light - I'll take a couple more when I have the cord done. The stone is very black and the inlay a vivid green. Finding it almost impossible to photograph the way the eye catches the light, but I'll keep trying...

Stone Tiki #68 - Tangaroa (God of the Sea)

OK, that's my next month's worth of posting done. I need a nap now - good night!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-01 05:07 am   Permalink

You earned your nap with this one. Beautiful work and I love the
photography too. See you in another month

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-01 06:37 am   Permalink

Gorgeous creative flow on this fella.
The detail and craftsmanship is to die for.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2009-06-01 08:30 am   Permalink

Paipo, great design on this guy. I just sat there staring
at the computer screen for a while, drinking in all the details.

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laojia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-01 12:43 pm   Permalink

It is too simple to say an amazing piece of paipo, and yet what to say?

This light on his eye pierces my heart...

J.

View Profile of laojia Send a personal message to laojia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-01 8:31 pm   Permalink

Paipo, I KNEW this guy was gonna be something special. He's already Pierced Laojia's heart and this golden tone has blinded my eyes

That shot that took out Laojia was really spectacular too ( if you ever stop arving you should take up pro photogrophy, you're a natural!)
Well lets see if I get the ghost page or not. Either way you just have no idea how much I appreciate your works. I know you are so torn between doing it quick versus doing it "All the way" but these pieces rally tell the story. Thanks Paipo.

:0

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-01 8:32 pm   Permalink

COOL No Ghost page

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-02 4:38 pm   Permalink

Unauahi and Tara-Tara-A-Kae patterning in stone? Man, you must have been sharpening your chisels every 30 seconds! Sweet piece mate.

How about a few pics of you latest swap/score..?

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravelingJones
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-06-02 5:12 pm   Permalink

Daaayaaamn! thud...

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-02 7:47 pm   Permalink

Rhys, this one has some special magic in it.

It even controls the way the sun sets on it.

Beautiful finish... I wish I could get wood to look the way you get rock surfaces to look.

If pieces like this require us to wait a bit longer, than wait I will, because this one is wonderful.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-02 7:59 pm   Permalink

what. the. hell. ?????

that is in-freaking-credible!!

man, you are a true talent.

i've been making metal stuff and burning my hands. mostly spending money on equipment. hahaha

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jab tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-02 8:07 pm   Permalink

Paipo,
Wow! Very Nice.
-Johnny

View Profile of jab tiki Send a personal message to jab tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-06-08 10:53 am   Permalink

So, lets see some wood Paipers. GROG know you've been carving.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
prairie jade
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-14 1:05 pm   Permalink

this piece has more mana invested in it than anything i've seen since "tiki emerges from cobble"

View Profile of prairie jade Send a personal message to prairie jade  Email prairie jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation