FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Paipo's Stone Tikis V2.0 - 2011
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 Next Page )
Paipo's Stone Tikis V2.0 - 2011
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-19 6:44 pm   Permalink

Very nice paipo, Both of them are GREAT!!! That tongue is a nice addition, (this might be stupid but is it supposed to be a fern leaf? Also, those guys have nothing on you!

Craig

http://www.myspace.com/crutler

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-19 6:44 pm   Permalink

Thanks Paipo, So do You Rawck but most Of all this piece with the BIG Green tongue I got a feelin Rawks more than All of us put together. It's a Rawk Tongue for Crise sakes and he just Has SO Much stuff goin on that he's Waaay out there where no one will mess wit him Brau ya Hear??? This one with the Bananna leaf in his mouth is a Shaker and Stomper,,,You DO What he says When he Says, He's One straight up Dude. I think you need to feel just a teeny Weeney bit Proud of this one. He won't let Nobody get away wit Nutthin ya hear, Nutthin so don't even try.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-19 7:18 pm   Permalink

Dude! that looks wicked! really REALLY awsome

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-19 8:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-14 01:30, Paipo wrote:

Meanwhile, back in the shed, here's a quicker piece that was finished today - Austral Islands drum figure mask:

Hope you dont mind me adding this: I remember talking to you about the origins of this mask; the tie-down lugs on an Austral Isld drum. Finally found the pics I was looking for:

I can imagine you plucking this baby off a real drum & mentally willing it to solidify into stone..

-

Love the newly finished mask. Funny, first thing I thought of was a fern/toungue too! Very cool how the jade goes back behind the eyes to also act as pupils. Has anyone ever told you that youre getting pretty good at this carving business?

*Invention is the key mate: move so fast that the ripoff merchants simply cant keep up.. (like LLT!)

ps: Im just waiting for the call 'Maitai O'clock' - I trust we will be supping from P'po mugs?

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-19 10:40 pm   Permalink

Very Nice the face with green tong insert WOW.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-20 2:24 pm   Permalink

T-freak (and Tama)...a fern? Well, no, but yes, but...it was meant to be a sort of mini Rei-Puta, kinda like the Aussie jade piece I posted a while back with the notched sides. It's pretty simple and abstract, so I guess it's really in the eye of the beholder. Banana leaf anyone?

Ben, I love rawk tongues, I grew up on Kiss and I'm not shamed to admit I still dig 'em. So I guess everyone now knows why I make so many tongue tikis!

T, I knew you'd know/have that source pic somewhere. I really like the look of that whole rectangle-with-opposing-faces version too...hmmm....
Using the insert to create the eyes meant quite a bit of post-work fiddling around with the cavity to get everything nicely lined up, and in this case it's the stuff you can't see that took up a lot of the time.
Drinks aren't far away, I promise! Have I told you I've got 2 bottles of Tequila waiting over the hill?

Duddy and seeksurf - thanks for dropping by, glad you liked this new fella. Here's some better pics of him:

Hmmmm...ferns?

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-20 4:55 pm   Permalink

Gene Simmons Family Jewels...I get it!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-20 6:23 pm   Permalink

Another Masterful Paipo Piece hits the streets. Your skills at this are really getting Scary, I think Tama hit the nail on the head when he was talking about you taking a piece of something and Willing it to be stone..
Then there is this "Bonus" picture?

Frickin' Unbelievable shot, Hard to get Lighting, Very Well done.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-21 08:17 am   Permalink

just too cool paipo! how do you set the jade into the stone? just curious

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-21 2:58 pm   Permalink

Absolutely stunning, Paipo.

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-22 06:23 am   Permalink

WHOA!! P-Dude! Tongue man rules!

View Profile of Kahu Send a personal message to Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-23 2:03 pm   Permalink

Surfin, one day when I get the time to fully indulge my whims, I plan to do a full set of 4 KISStikis based on the makeup designs of the original members. That oughtta have the purists choking on their Mai Tais!

Ben, that was sitting about 12 inches away from me..it looked so nice I grabbed the camera and snapped off a few shots. The oblique angle works well for a lot of pieces - they often look pretty flat from the front-on view.
PS That box it's sitting on is chock full of jade beach pebbles

Duddy, the tongue is held in by the cord so it has a tiny bit of movement (which is great when it gets dropped on the floor!)
Because the top edge had to line up in the eye sockets, I spent ages getting the two carvings to fit together just right. Like I mentioned above, these "hidden secrets" can add a lot of extra work to a piece.

G, Kahu - Cheers!

This guy is now hanging around in the marketplace looking for a new home if anyone's interested - I've got a couple of tiki related commissions on the bench but things will be lean around here after that, until I get the next couple of shows out of the way.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Skinny Dog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-23 2:10 pm   Permalink

That is awesome looking Paipo!

Great Job!

Jen

View Profile of Skinny Dog Send a personal message to Skinny Dog  Email Skinny Dog Goto the website of Skinny Dog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
timidtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-23 2:22 pm   Permalink

Hi Paipo - If there are any internet links to the shows in which you are participating could you list the links here. Thanks.

View Profile of timidtiki Send a personal message to timidtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-23 2:52 pm   Permalink

This mask tong is incredibly beautiful work.
The last pic with the trees his tong looks like
a leave also.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation