[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Backyard Imu
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Backyard Imu
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-01 7:07 pm   Permalink

While not quite the traditional "hole in the beach", I built a cement deep pit BBQ/imu. Made from a 30 inch concrete pipe buried in the ground. You fill the pit with hardwood and burn it several hours until just the coals remain, this heats the concrete and the surrounding soil. You put the meat in and cover the hole with the metal lid, then shovel sand over the lid and wet it down well. The pit has to be sealed airtight or the coals will continue to burn and you'll have ash instead of kalua. After about 18 hours you pull the meat out, shred and serve.

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2011-12-03 18:27 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-01 7:18 pm   Permalink

That's just...awesome.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-17 8:07 pm   Permalink

Why is there a ramp next to your pit?

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-17 8:20 pm   Permalink

That is the coolest thing I've seen today!

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-17 9:17 pm   Permalink

Why thank you Murph! The ramp is actually the metal lid that covers the pit. The concrete block "corral" helps keep the sand all in one place until next time. Placing the lid over the sand keep the DAMN CATS from using it as a litterbox!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-18 06:11 am   Permalink

Looks like a washing machine drum. Do you use that for the coals, so the ashes are easier to remove? Or, to lower the meat into the pit, on top of the coals?

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-18 06:21 am   Permalink

this forth of july, my brother and i are cooking an 80 lb pig in an above-ground "imu" of sorts made by stacking concrete blocks. pictures soon

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-18 07:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-18 06:21, Johnny Dollar wrote:
this forth of july, my brother and i are cooking an 80 lb pig in an above-ground "imu" of sorts made by stacking concrete blocks. pictures soon

Be sure and fill the cells of the blocks with sand (or dirt), so there is more solid mass to hold and re-radiate the heat.

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-18 08:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-18 06:11, Limbo Lizard wrote:
Looks like a washing machine drum. Do you use that for the coals, so the ashes are easier to remove? Or, to lower the meat into the pit, on top of the coals?

Both- a metal washing machine drum fits in there perfectly. The bottom one is to remove the spent coals (they never actually burn to ash), the top one holds the meat and has some chains on it for handles to raise and lower it.

Edit - Johnny Dollar, looking forward to seeing the pictures of that. Does it work like a big "caja china" that the Cubans make from plywood?
www.lacajachina.com Sounds like a semi-temporary set-up (not mortared together)

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2008-06-18 08:48 ]

Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-18 10:01 am   Permalink

yes, it is the cuban style. loose concrete blocks.

thanks for the sand/gravel info ~ i think my brother is engineering it, but better safe than sorry.

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-18 11:21 am   Permalink

We're considering building one of these at Lund Manor. Any thoughts on how much clearance one might need to be fire-safe?

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-18 5:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-18 11:21, Haole'akamai wrote:
We're considering building one of these at Lund Manor. Any thoughts on how much clearance one might need to be fire-safe?

I wouldn't put it in a room with anything less than a 9 foot ceiling.
Seriously, I would think 3 - 5 feet horizontal clearance would be OK (I'd keep it further than that from the house). The fire's pretty deep, so the flames aren't gonna "reach out" too far to the side, unless it's very windy. Might be a good idea to put a coarse wire mesh screen over it, while the wood is burning, to keep any embers from flying off and starting another one of those famous California wildfires.

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2008-06-18 17:21 ]

Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-18 6:02 pm   Permalink

Oops, I should have clarified that I'm thinking of putting one in the backyard of Lund Manor...

I've never seen one in action, so I guess I was figuring you'd have wood all the way up to the top, but that would be overkill and cause too much heat for too long, huh? Good thought about the mesh, still. Even in NorCal, it's dry around here. Good natural clay earth, though.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-18 6:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-18 18:02, Haole'akamai wrote:
...I guess I was figuring you'd have wood all the way up to the top

MadDogMike described using two washing machine drums in the pipe/hole (that's the ingenious part!). The bottom one holds the wood/coals, so I assumed he only filled it to the top of the drum. You could add wood, as it burns down, if it hasn't heated the surrounding earth enough, yet.
I could be wrong... maybe he does fill it up to the top, then lets it burn down until it's below the top of the lower drum. Mike?
If you have moist clay, you might want to dig it out, somewhat, and surround the pipe with loose sand. The clay would probably shrink away from the pipe, when it heats up and loses water content. Then you'd have a heat-insulating air gap between the pipe and the surrounding earth. The sand would be more 'dynamic', and would conform to the outer wall of the pipe, as the surrounding clay shrinks and swells.

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2008-06-18 18:35 ]

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-19 09:22 am   Permalink

Yes, I fill it completely full of wood and it burns down to about 1/3 or 1/4 coals. L'Lizard, you may be right about the sand vs clay. I do have clay soil with poor drainage, it may shrink away from the concrete pipe. Unfortunately, I poured a small concrete slab around the pipe and now have no way of knowing. EDIT - If you were building a new one, that would be easy enough to fix. The hole you dig is bigger than the pipe anyway, just backfill it with sand instead of the dirt you took out of the hole. Here's a little more info http://mgilbert.net/deep%20pit.html

I'm interested in knowing more about the above ground concrete block pit. What are they called, does anyone know of a website with more info? You can never have too many ways to BBQ (see my signature line )

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2008-06-19 09:25 ]

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2008-06-19 09:29 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation