FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Orange County Tiki Crawl 3/29/03
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Orange County Tiki Crawl 3/29/03
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-04 2:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-03-04 14:12, Tiki_Bong wrote:
...we meet at my hut for drinks, jump on the bus, bombard the Royal Hawaiian with our bombastic bafoonery, jump back on the bus, cruise to Sam's and finish off the night.

If anyone has ideas on some more stops, which there are MANY I'm missing, fill in the spaces.

How far out would it be to add the Purple Orchid to this crawl? Also, what would you guys think of starting earlier in the afternoon? We could add some spots such as Bamboo Ben's, House of Tiki, etc. to make it interesting...

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stentiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-04 2:50 pm   Permalink

Man, this thing's starting to roll!

Okay, Bong. I hear you volunteering to coordinate the bus to meet at Bongo's Hut.

Can I get a witness?!

Anyhoo, I think the PO's way too far out and we made the mistake of including too many stops last time and did not have much of visit to RH.

So I concur with Bong's plan to meet at his place. Those that want to get an early start can stop by House of Tiki and Bamboo Ben's en route to "Bong's Joint" (is that a redundant name?! )

Hey maybe the day outing can be a kind of Tiki scavenger hunt! Something from House of Tiki, something from Ben's...

Anyhoo, just some thoughts.

Trader Pup, are you in or what?!

Arty

View Profile of stentiki Send a personal message to stentiki  Email stentiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-04 2:55 pm   Permalink

Although I've wanted to make it to the Lagoon Room for some time now, I think that the bus from Bong's would make more sense. Plus, we may have a little taste of the 'Smokin' Menuhuenes' to give you all by that time.

If we are gonna get a bus, we may as well do a full on bar crawl. I think that three musts are, of course, the Royal Hawiian, Sam's, and Billy's by the Beach (which happens to be right in between the first two places in Newport).

Also, Arty is right, we need to do the Royal Hawiian early and first because it is a pre-party spot for a dance club in Laguna and gets super busy.

After that, hit Billy's in Newport for some really strong tropical drinks (the navy grog really does it) and decore by the boys at OA.

Finially, to the So. Cal tiki headquarters at Sam's to finish it off. If we call ahead and let 'em know what we're doing, I'm sure they'll stay open later for us. After all, Jeff (the bartender) did name a drink after our group.

Then, back to Bong's to throw up on his lawn.

Also; Ben, Dick Dale did the song, 'Let's Go Trippin'. Very nice touch Arty.

[ This Message was edited by: Luckydesigns on 2003-03-04 15:04 ]

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stentiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-04 3:04 pm   Permalink

LD,

It's been years since I've been to Billy's but I seem to recall that they make a decent Mai Tai. No Tikis either as I recall but Hawaiian theme and bamboo decor and work done by Leroy, right?

May have to make a test run this weekend to give a full endorsement.

Arty

View Profile of stentiki Send a personal message to stentiki  Email stentiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-04 3:07 pm   Permalink

I may have to meet you there to make sure the drinks are still what they were. And actually, there are a couple of tikis out front and some cool lamps on the newly developed patio bar.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stentiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-04 3:10 pm   Permalink

Excellent idea!

I didn't know Tiki was there. I think we gone to code orange now, kids! A must do!

Hey! Ho! Let's go!

Arty

PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-04 3:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-03-04 14:55, Luckydesigns wrote:
Although I've wanted to make it to the Lagoon Room for some time now, I think that the bus from Bong's would make more sense. Plus, we may have a little taste of the 'Smokin' Menuhuenes' to give you all by that time.

If we are gonna get a bus, we may as well do a full on bar crawl. I think that three musts are, of course, the Royal Hawiian, Sam's, and Billy's by the Beach (which happens to be right in between the first two places in Newport).

Also, Arty is right, we need to do the Royal Hawiian early and first because it is a pre-party spot for a dance club in Laguna and gets super busy.

After that, hit Billy's in Newport for some really strong tropical drinks (the navy grog really does it) and decore by the boys at OA.

Finially, to the So. Cal tiki headquarters at Sam's to finish it off. If we call ahead and let 'em know what we're doing, I'm sure they'll stay open later for us. After all, Jeff (the bartender) did name a drink after our group.

Then, back to Bong's to throw up on his lawn.

This plan makes the most sense. No offense Arty, but if you're trying to reduce the number of spots to visit, then why do the bus at all? Hiring the bus to go to two stops doesn't make sense. Just 2 weekends ago, we did Bahooka, Hale Hawaii and Purple Orchid on our own - without a bus! The point of the bus is to allow us to visit a number of spots without drinking and driving, right? I say we take advantage of it and make it a true excursion - not just "a ride" from Royal Hawaiian to Sam's Seafood.

* * * The Polynesian Popster * * *

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-03-04 15:28 ]

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-03-04 15:29 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stentiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-04 3:47 pm   Permalink

I think you misunderstand me, Popster.

Tentatively speaking, I always thought there would be a third stop somewhere between RH and Sam's. I'm open to anything, man!

Billy's works well because it's just about the midpoint between RH and Sam's. Just want to be safe and sane! Hence the bus suggestion.

Lucky D and I were talking about sampling the drinks at Billy's this weekend just to get a feel for da place. TC stamp of approval!

Do you concur, Lucky D?

PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-04 3:53 pm   Permalink

Okee-Dokeee. You guys know I'm down for anything. I still think it would be good to change things up a little. If the concern is too many stops, then we should just start the crawl a little earlier.

My 2 cents....

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-03-04 4:33 pm   Permalink

All right folks, let's gather some ideas until, say Thursday of this week. On Friday I'll start setting up a solid itinerary.

Poly Pop, I think Purple Orchid is way too far. We got lots of cool tiki places within a 15 mile radius.

But, the Popster has a good idea he's gonna check on. It may have something to do with a stop in South Orange County. Maybe some sort of factory that might make stuff we're into.

It will definately begin with some drinks at Bong's Tiki Hut though. Lucky D and I may make you suffer through a short set of some hapa haole tunes we've been polishing up (Crazy Al, bring your coconuts (if ya know what I mean)).

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-04 5:32 pm   Permalink

There's also Harpoon Harry's just down the road from Sam's.... really cool heavy nautical theme a la sunken shipwrecks, loads of aquariums.... it is worth at least a quickie stop!

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
weirduncletiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-04 5:43 pm   Permalink

If The Smokin' Menehunes are playing, count me in!

View Profile of weirduncletiki Send a personal message to weirduncletiki  Email weirduncletiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2003-03-04 5:57 pm   Permalink

Whew!

The Smokin' Menehunes is only the name of Bong & Lucky's band? That's a relief!

I was worried that it might be something I would catch from eating Bong's food and drink - and that I might be running to the boy's room the whole rest of the night.

Ok. I'm still in.

Sabu

Traderpup - Why don't you join us? We could even go to Harpoon Harry's. They have a cool nautical-theme with lots of aquariums.

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2003-03-04 18:04 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-03-04 6:18 pm   Permalink

Man, it doesn't take long for the So Cali's to get something happening does it! What, Arty posted this yesterday and it's already a full-blown event!

(Traderpup, if you're gonna be a fuddy-duddy and not join us, maybe you should just join some chess group instead.)

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stentiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-04 6:21 pm   Permalink

Things are really gettin' wierd now! The Smokin' Menehunes, Crazy Al + Wierd Uncle?!

That's one Luau not to be missed!

Hey, as long as we make it to the Royal Hawaiian, I'm cool with whateva!

With this crowd just being on the bus is half the fun, anyhoo.

Traderpup, please join us!

Arty

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation