FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Hapa Haole Hideaway Rebuild Again! - Open
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Hapa Haole Hideaway Rebuild Again! - Open
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-01 6:31 pm   Permalink

Building the bar now. We have a wet bar with a sink in the back and that needs to be built first.

Used two tapes to give us the lines for the bar and lay it out. Built two boxes for the wet bar area, which will be counter height.

The main box on the floor is level both ways.

4 34 inch legs attached to the base first, then screwed the front posts in and made that level, then leveled each point as we screwed it together.

Cut the boards for the bar itself. Decided to make the bar 18 inches wide all the way down. Was laid out 12 inches at this end. Makes everything simpler and more storage underneath.
Got the bottom done and braced up strong and screwed the top together and braced it a little to make it sturdy. Cut 4 4o inch posts.

Screwed inthe base on the corner posts. After the first attempt with the top, we found the back posts were too long. I guess our floor is not level. Had to take them out and cut a bit off and re-assemble. Made sure we were level and screwed the top in.

View from behind the bar.

Need to brace it more, and screw it into the post and the wall studs and start covering everything in plywood. Also screw it to the floor.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-02 05:20 am   Permalink

So I am looking for a little advice here. I am trying to figure out how to construct the bar top. Not sure what I am going to use to cover it. I am thinking of doint something simple like some remnant vinyl flooring in black. But also, we need to do the padded arm rest. I am told to do the top in two pieces. Bottom layer of 3/4 inch plywood, which is screwed to the framing. I figure I'll use a router and roundover bit to make the front edge more "friendly". And then you screw up into the top piece so no screws or holes are visible.

But, should I attach the padding and all to the top piece and hide the staples bewteen the two, or wrap it around both? To do the padded arm rest, do you staple your material across the bar top maybe 4 inches in, lay the padding across, and then pull down tight and staple underneath? Is it that simple?

I have built this bar 50 times in my head. Laid awake at night doing over and over so I can do things in the right order. Woke up early today pondering it too. So, who has done a padded arm rest on their bar top? Call me! PM and I'll give you my number. I want to hear from you today!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-02 06:35 am   Permalink

YAY! Let the fun stuff begin--Lookin' good. I like the dual-level floor plan. It's like it adds a new 'layer' of roomyness (sp?) and defines the area as 2 different 'zones'.

You're on the right track with the bar top construction (at least that's how I did mine and it worked out perfect). I used 3/4 inch ply screwed to the frame and then used 3/4 inch MDF on top of the ply (screwed from underneath AND glued).

As far as the padded arm rest goes--I have never made a padded arm rest before but have used the 'tack-strip' method of upholstery on furniture pieces and the best way I can explain it is.....to draw it out for you. Something like this:

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-02 08:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-11-02 06:35, Howland wrote:
As far as the padded arm rest goes--I have never made a padded arm rest before but have used the 'tack-strip' method of upholstery on furniture pieces and the best way I can explain it is.....to draw it out for you. Something like this:

1 - Stand in front of the 'customer' side of the bar.

2 - Lay the fabric out with the good side against the bar top. Line up the edge closest to you with the edge of the bar, the fabric should drape towards/over the 'working side of the bar.

3 - Attach with tack-strip, staples, really good glue, or some combination therein.

4 - Attach your padding to the customer edge of the bar and pull the fabric over the padding. This will conceal the tack-strip/nails/glue.

5 - starting from the center of the bar, pull the fabric tight and staple to the underside of the bar. Work from the center towards the edge, go a little bit in each direction, then the other, etc until you get to the end. Staple at a 45 degree angle to the edge, the attachment will be more durable ( like this | \ \ \ \ \ \ , not - - - - - - -, and not | | | | | | | | | | )

6 - If the end of your fabric on the underside is close to the edge, you will want to put a strip of something to cover the edge so that you don't rub body-parts or clothing against the area where the staples are.

You should now have a beautiful bumper on your bar that should last a good long time.

And, if the padding you use starts to breakdown over time, you can pull the staple from the underside of the bar and add new with only a bit of work.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-02 08:26 am   Permalink

Yeah, Ms Swanky and I hashed it out this morning more. Didn't know about the tack strip. Makes lots more sense for getting it straight and holding it down. We plan to make the arm rest s seperate piece that can be removed and repaired, maybe.

I think we decided to tile to bar top, which mean maybe doing the top of Hardi Backer or something besides plywood.

Another trip to Lowes. They just never end.

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-02 11:32 am   Permalink

Added more supports across the front and on top.

Attached it tot he wall studs and the pole and to the flooor.

1/4" plywood across the front as just a simplelayer to add onto.

Laid the 3/4" plyswood on top just to get a feel for it.

Had to get back to high school geometry to figure out how to cut this edge to match the angle. Rise over run.

Not ready to screw that piece down, but it's there and looks right.

millerz1897

Posted: 2008-11-02 3:20 pm   Permalink

Rock on!

View Profile of millerz1897 Send a personal message to millerz1897  Email millerz1897 Goto the website of millerz1897     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sungod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-02 4:29 pm   Permalink

That is one talented cat.

View Profile of sungod Send a personal message to sungod  Email sungod Goto the website of sungod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MsSwanky
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-11-03 05:44 am   Permalink

Swanky was hard at work on the bar yesterday while I was out buying up tons of Halloween decor on sale. 'Came home to see the bar in full scale. Up to this point we've just had measuring tape laid out on the floor as sort of a pattern for the bar - seeing it built up, all 40 inches tall and 10 feet long, really changes the perspective... this thing is mammoth!
This room has always been dedicated to be 'the bar' someday but now the bar is the room. Having said that, I'm looking for suggestions too - the bar is now truly the focal point of the room so, it's got to be done well! We have some ideas as to decor on the front of the bar but, the rest we're undecided on. What should we put on the bar top? What do we do with the front and sides? Tile, Bamboo, matting, etc...???? It is so large (bigger than what I've seen in a lot of restaurants) that we may be limited on materials, just due to the cost alone. I had notions about what to do with it before - now that it's real, and huge, I am not sure anymore... Suggestions anyone?

View Profile of MsSwanky Send a personal message to MsSwanky      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-03 06:52 am   Permalink

MsSwanky - for the bar top I like how poured resin looks. Real bars use that to create a super-thick clear surface that is hard to damage and ages well. One of the advantages is that you can use A/C plywood (plywood with a quality finish on one side). You stain the wood (done it, it looks great), pour the resin on, and you're done. The Kahiki used it, and a friend of mine has a bunch of their fifty-year-old tables and they still look great! Some pubs I saw in Ireland used resin, or something like it, and they were much older.

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-03 07:31 am   Permalink

I'm a big fan of the poured resin top too---done it m'sef. (You've seen it MS). It's coming together nicely!

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-03 07:50 am   Permalink

Great job on the room!! Its really coming together and looking good!
Stay away from tile if you are not sure about it. Sometimes they make a nice counter but I only recommend it on outside bars or projects. It kind of takes away that cozy, warm and worn in feeling. Also, any single glass or mug dropped, spilt or knocked over will probably break. At least if you have wood you have a little bit better of a chance.

Stick to a nice stained wood, planks or old wood that has character (Like your great old chest!) with alot of coats of finish. Minwax makes a nice Hellsman Marine finish that works good on Bar tops. Even some people like glass tops which enable you to change what you have underneath it. Your bar is probably a bit too big for this one but others may consider it.

The resin finish looks great and is very durable. You can also color the wood underneath any color you like. It will also look much better with the padded arm rest like you wanted. Posted above is one of the best and easiest ways to do it. What a talented bunch on here!! It's really cool to see all the different ideas you get on here.

Keep up the great work!!
TabooDan

[ This Message was edited by: TabooDan 2008-11-03 08:09 ]

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-08 12:16 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the detailed bar construction photos & description. I'm just about ready to start on mine & this is a big help!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-11-08 2:19 pm   Permalink

Hey Tim looking good!!
Do you have one of those woodworkers stores where you live?
You know the ones with all of the funky wood you do not see at Loews.
Go to one of those stores and get a veneer of some rare exotic wood.
The bar top is what people will see a lot of.
You can put a clear coat on that as well.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-08 6:41 pm   Permalink

Thanks. I wanted to put the images and things on here that I myself wanted to see.

We moved the bar top back to a 10 inch overhang instead of 12 and it makes a big difference visually. It'll be better. Also cutting an inch off the back so we have just a one inch overhang in back. That should still keep spills from running down the back. It makes the bar top much smaller.

Skip, I think you are right. We have decided that the padded arm rest is not necesary and will be a big expense (4 yards of material is easily $100) and it'll be fine without it. Just do a more "plain" bar top with a trim edge. Might just stain the top wood, or, as you say, get a veneer.

The mini split heat pump is going in tomorrow. May work on the foot rest tomorrow as well. Will update as we can.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation