FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Hapa Haole Hideaway Rebuild Again! - Open
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Hapa Haole Hideaway Rebuild Again! - Open
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-21 2:29 pm   Permalink

Looking good, love the tapa door panals, nice tough. The whole project is coming together!

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPops
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-23 08:33 am   Permalink

I really like the door treatment. The bar stools are cool too. The room is coming together with a nice vibe.

View Profile of TikiPops Send a personal message to TikiPops  Email TikiPops     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-26 07:09 am   Permalink

July 25, 2009
More help from Tiki 65 Saturday. We had to rehang the thatch over the bar. The support hook was not to our satisfaction and a few other tweaks. That was done. The big job was the bar top install.

We chose to cover the bar in hardwood flooring. 6' X 7.5" pieces.

With each end of the bar angled to match the wall and the support beam, it required a lot of custom cuts. We glued them down, and ran screws up from underneath to hold it in place to the 3/4 plywood.

11 foot bar, that's near 3 feet deep, meant a lot of looking at flooring. We found what we wanted, and it turned out that one box would cover the whole bar. That was a very lucky break on this special order. We could not have bought another piece.
Sahara is the color and it is very close to the look of the bar and tables at the Mai Kai. Ours has square pegs in it.

I also reworked the foot rest. Picked to good straight pieces of 5 inch bamboo and cut them to match. We'll do a little decoraing on them and screw them in when we do the bar front later.

The bar moulding is cut and ready to go. Maybe stain it today. Looking to start the back bar now and tile it and install the sink, etc.

Your key to Beachbum Berry's books. Login and start concocting!

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2009-07-26 07:12 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-26 10:19 am   Permalink

Love how you made the door look! Awesome job!
Can't wait to see it all come together.

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
machinelf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-07-30 12:15 pm   Permalink

Great choice for the bar top, it looks fantastic. Love those pegs. Looking forward to continued progress!

View Profile of machinelf Send a personal message to machinelf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-31 8:07 pm   Permalink

I like the bar, the wood has a nice look to it with the square pegs.

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-08 6:13 pm   Permalink

August 8th, 2009
You know, you post these pictures and it seems like a snap. Each of these is hours of work and hours of planning...

Tiki 65 reworked all the 2x4 supports on the bar. Made things cleaner, better, stronger. Added 2 shelves.

Put the stained trim around the bar front.

Ms. Swanky started painting the shelves.

Finished painting the shelves and added stained trim to the back side of the bar. Also reworked the bar bar 2x4s.

Installed the surround sound speakers and ran cable to the bar.

Put up a little decor. This was a real pain to hang.

Enjoyed the first Mai Tai in the bar...

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-10 09:11 am   Permalink

Nice job - the square pegs really do seal the deal.

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-22 5:44 pm   Permalink

August 22nd, 2009

Fixed the bamboo footrests. Attached a sort of footer on them so they are a bit off the ground and stable. Really difficult to line things up.

Built the liquor shelves. 4" deep shelves. 4' wide.

And a shelf for the surround sound DVD player.

Painted them.

Hid the speaker wires under split bamboo.

Laid the slate tiles out to see how they fit.

Laid and grouted.

Sink installed. Backsplash in and it all matches the PNG stuff well. Put a piece of 1/4 bamboo in the corner to hide wires to the lamp over the bar.

Installed the stained trim.

Your key to Beachbum Berry's books. Login and start concocting!

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2009-08-22 17:48 ]

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-22 5:44 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2009-08-22 17:54 ]

Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-22 7:35 pm   Permalink

Great stuff swanky. It's interesting to see your progress as you're doing some very similar things to what I'm doing...

Like I said, it's looking great so far.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-22 9:17 pm   Permalink

Nice work Swanky...I have been watching the progress on your project for awhile.

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-23 7:30 pm   Permalink

August 23rd
Really a lot going on in the bar now, but not everything warrants a picture. Decor on the walls, etc. Everything is a lot of tweaking and decision making.

Tiki 65 covered the mini split in vinyl to hide it. Yeah!

Thanks Bob & Leroy for our custom order rail post! He also did lots to make the OA rail post ready to install. Just so you know how this was done for your reference: The rail post has a bolt in it and we drilled into the floor and used what is basically a large (3 inch) washer and lock nut to tighten it to the floor. The bamboo cross posts are attached by having specially carved plugs on the rail post and the beam that are exactly the size to fit inside the bamboo. We bolted these plugs to the beam and rail post and slid the bamboo on and screwed the bamboo to the plugs. Also cut the bamboo to form fit the rail. It's a near invisible rail support.

Ms Swanky wired the ceramic tiles to the rails.

Close up of the wiring for the tiles. In the background are some experimental colors for the bar front... Stay tuned...

Here are all 4 tiles in place before the rope wrapping. Oh, and the kapu thing, the 32 inch flat panel TV. The horror! I used to be in the no TV camp. I later realized, we spent in the neighborhood of $10-15k on this tiki bar. We are looking for more reasons to be in here. When it's Tiki time, either no TV, or slideshows of vintage Tiki scenes. When it's SEC football season, we're in the bar shouting at our boys.

Hung the cargo net stuff.

Lots of flash here to show details. When we get done, there will be lots of appropriate lighting shots. Really down to details. Decor. Painting. Touch-up. Should be shaking and serving for Labor Day!

Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-23 9:07 pm   Permalink

WOWZA!!!!!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exotica59
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-31 9:11 pm   Permalink

wow! You can really be proud of all the hard work you have put into this Swanky! Looks great. I love the step by step photos.

View Profile of exotica59 Send a personal message to exotica59  Email exotica59     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation