FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki on television
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
Tiki on television
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-21 3:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-02-05 10:52, bigbrotiki wrote:
Wow, thank you so much for those great images, Michelle! I can't play PAL on my DVD player in the U.S. And those statues are indeed all African, not Oceanic art. But this finding does support my general "Tiki Modern" theory.

That Sponge Bob Tiki Land episode is most unfortunate. Why would a show that was the first to incorporate some really cool Tiki elements, like Squidward's house, and an A-frame movie theater with Tiki bathroom sinks, stoop so low in its Tiki designs with badly-rendered, 2-dimensional Party Store-colored Tikis !!?

This should have been an ode to mod-cartoony Tiki art, and it's not. It might be OK for kids, but where were the adult designers that bought the Book of Tiki multiple times when it came out, at 8-Ball right down the street from Nickelodeon? I can only fathom that, like back ground designs often are, it was farmed out to China. These Tikis bear the hallmark symptoms of non-Amercian, internet-sourced Tiki.

New poster on this great forum. Great thread and good point Bigbro we all must beware and learn to distinguish between genuine ancient Tiki, Polynesian Pop Tiki and "Party Store" Tiki which I call Tiky-Tacky(trash/crap) and not to be confused with Kitschy-Catchy(little better with some historic value)or Wiki-Wacky(just plain crazy)

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sofa King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-23 11:13 pm   Permalink

I was going through some old files and found some photos I took of Dr Jacoby's office in the first season of Twin Peaks(1990).

There is a discussion of this here:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=9250&forum=1&hilite=twin peaks

Here are some images of the good Doc's office. I apologize for the poor quality photos.

Best single season of TV ever!

[ This Message was edited by: Sofa King 2012-02-23 23:14 ]

View Profile of Sofa King Send a personal message to Sofa King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-25 2:10 pm   Permalink

Come to Hukilau to see the whole thing. Well worth it!

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2012-02-27 20:14 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-27 09:29 am   Permalink

random tiki mug on pan am.

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-02 7:03 pm   Permalink

Taki Tikis on The Wheel Of Fortune....Hawaiian theme tonight.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-04 12:31 am   Permalink

Watchin Donnie Brasco (1997). When they go down to Florida the FBI agent who fakes as owner of the club they want to buy is wearing a cool Tiki shirt. then they hop on a boat and there's a Wayne Coombs Tiki at the dock. On the boat the mafia boss is wearing a cool Aztec Tiki shirt.

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-04 11:26 pm   Permalink

Still watching TV...saw The Simpsons tonight, Sunday, March 4, they had a spoof of Trader Joe's done up with bamboo, a Tiki, Hawaii shirt employees, and in one corner a net full of what appears to be mini Japanese fishing floats and attached to the side of it is a shrunken head!
here is a photo of the net and head:

Hawaiian shirt-clad employees wrap Apoo in a Hawaiian shirt to restrain him

And here is the Tiki (in red box) sorry it's so blurry, The Simpson's moves fast

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-15 1:59 pm   Permalink

Supernatural, season 7/episode 14, 2012, "Plucky Pennywhistle's Magical Menagerie" has the brothers staying at the "Tiki Motel" and their room has hula wallpaper, rattan chairs, leopard print drapes, rock walls, and a small Tiki bar with a Tiki standing behind it.

[ This Message was edited by: Trader Tom 2012-03-15 14:02 ]

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-20 4:28 pm   Permalink

The last episode of The Fugitive (1967) was shot at the Pacific Ocean Park, where the Doctor meets the One Armed Man. One of the scenes included the Tiki totems and the Mahi Mahi ride.

I could not find any cleaner photos or videos.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-21 1:22 pm   Permalink

Aaaah, the fugitive! That was a "street sweeper" in Germany when I was little! The FINAL episode, after 120 episodes of being on the run and chasing the one-armed man! And now, exhausted, holding onto columns carved by Jim Casey...

I loved the original Fugitive show...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdiQ2ihZ1mE&feature=related

And lookey here, what we walk into at 18:08 minutes of the above episode:

Though this tropical hideaway is sadly bereft of Tikis, it is a pretty nice set for TV show.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-22 12:19 pm   Permalink

Bigbro,

Great looking set, almost looks like the handy work of Bamboo Ben. Do you know if Eli did work for the studios?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-26 10:12 pm   Permalink

I know this is probably not the TV watched by most PolyPopsters, but Robert Jebediah Freeman of Adult Swim's "The Boondocks" has a Tiki Bar in his basement;

Well, I don't see any tikis. And the ceiling is white. But there is a big netted float on the right and the yellow chair could be interpreted as MCM

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-27 09:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-03-22 12:19, Dustycajun wrote:
Bigbro,

Great looking set, almost looks like the handy work of Bamboo Ben. Do you know if Eli did work for the studios?

DC

I wish DC.

Regarding Eli... that'll all come out in my future book " Eli Hedley, The Original Beachcomber"

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exquisitecorpse
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-27 10:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-03-27 09:39, RevBambooBen wrote:

hey speaking of tiki on tv; bamboo ben was on one of those auction/storage wars shows.

View Profile of exquisitecorpse Send a personal message to exquisitecorpse  Goto the website of exquisitecorpse     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravnerRavenweird
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-03-28 08:11 am   Permalink

Nothing that spectacular but figured it should be cataloged. Last night's episode of Breaking In on Fox had a party scene with a few Tiki items in the background. Too early for screen-caps on the episode as it just aired.
The episode title is Game of Jones, season 2 episode 4.

Also lots of Indiana Jones references for those 'gear heads' out there...you know who you are.

View Profile of TravnerRavenweird Send a personal message to TravnerRavenweird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation