FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki on television
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
Tiki on television
Tiki-Atari
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-28 09:14 am   Permalink

The Venture Brothers (on Adult Swim) are full of MCM Jet age awesome-ness (seriously, they go to a LOT of trouble with incidental backgrounds). This scene from a swinger's "key party" has a mug, but there are some other references sprinkled throughout the series.

View Profile of Tiki-Atari Send a personal message to Tiki-Atari  Goto the website of Tiki-Atari     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-28 12:13 pm   Permalink

The Marriott Kona Kai of Phildelphia, then newly opened, is featured in the TV series, Route 66, at the beginning of an episode from 1961 (second season), titled "The Thin White Line".
YouTUbe: Route 66-The Thin White Line

When it comes to the Tiki on TV thread,
I I am am seeing seeing double double....

TikiCentral: Tiki on TV

And I ain't been drinkin'
And I ain't been drinkin'

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-29 10:18 am   Permalink

Triplets?

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-29 9:31 pm   Permalink

Tonight's episode of The Simpsons, titled, "A Totally Fun Thing Bart Will Never Do Again," showed a cruise ship with a luau featuring a nice Tiki head table topper. The episode ended with an admonishment of a Jimmy Buffet concert!!

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-08 10:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-29 21:31, Otto wrote:
Tonight's episode of The Simpsons, titled, "A Totally Fun Thing Bart Will Never Do Again," showed a cruise ship with a luau featuring a nice Tiki head table topper. The episode ended with an admonishment of a Jimmy Buffet concert!!

And you can now watch the episode here...
FOX.com: The Simpsons-A Totally Fun Thing Bart Will Never Do Again

The luau is around 12:20

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-13 11:50 pm   Permalink

In tonights episode of "Madmen"
Roger Sterling takes Manischewitz executive Max Rosenberg to "Trader Vic" to pitch an ad concept.
It looks like it was filmed in Trader Vics L.A.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-14 12:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-05-13 23:50, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
In tonights episode of "Madmen"
Roger Sterling takes Manischewitz executive Max Rosenberg to "Trader Vic" to pitch an ad concept.
It looks like it was filmed in Trader Vics L.A.

That's LA TV

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-14 01:26 am   Permalink

Thanks for the quick screen grabs Otto.
Confirmed & validated!
Notice the classic TV mugs.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2012-05-14 01:27 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiphantom
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-14 5:43 pm   Permalink

I'm glad someone caught this! Was wondering when the crew would hit a tiki bar? Is this a set of the old place or the original place?

View Profile of Tikiphantom Send a personal message to Tikiphantom  Email Tikiphantom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-14 5:57 pm   Permalink

It's Trader Vics Downtown L.A.

CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-14 7:00 pm   Permalink

I was hoping that some other TCer's caught that scene!

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-15 5:38 pm   Permalink

Here's a reference on TV to a certain tiki palace in Florida... Tonight my local PBS station broadcast a show called "American Masters: Johnny Carson." In the episode they interview Perry Cross who was a producer of the Johnny Carson show. He mentions a trip where a group from the show went to Fort Lauderdale and stayed at a beach-front hotel, then went to "a Polynesian restaurant" which must have been the one-and-only Mai Kai. He continued to describe what a great time they had at the restaurant including "everyone had about 4 mai tais each," they participated in hula lessons on the stage, and how they had a great time with considerable privacy. At one point in the show, either in or around the interview with Perry Cross, they said that this was at a time when Johnny wasn't yet famous enough to be recognized by other people in the general public. They didn't show any photos of the evening at the restaurant, but did show photos and home movies of Johnny with his family on a yacht and at the beach-front hotel.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-21 6:40 pm   Permalink

Roger Sterling and his awesome shirt from last night's Mad Men.

I think Sun Surf may do a reproduction of that shirt and I want one.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-21 7:21 pm   Permalink

Beat me to Boris!

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-21 8:03 pm   Permalink

And since we're on the topic of that specific episode, here's a shameless JOHN-O plug.

It was also the umpteenth episode of "Mad Men" to use the Prince lounge, stop #1 of my K-Town crawl...

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation