FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » TIKI FREAKout Art show @ Closing Reception this Saturday 8/9 7p.m. til Midnight
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
TIKI FREAKout Art show @ Closing Reception this Saturday 8/9 7p.m. til Midnight
otikiniko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-07 2:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-07 10:25, ETseven wrote:
Mayor Kinnith has asked me to burn all of the Artwork that hasn't sold at the the closing of the night! So come by this Sat and help save the Artists' hard work from the inferno! Mayor Kinny has also suggested he will help set ablaze the Light Gallery, and we can watch it go up in smoke at the end of the night as well!

um... not for nuthin' but I've already had to go through one gallery fire in the last 12 months, thank you very much let's not jinx ourselves

once again, I wish I coulda' been there to paint live with you fellas... well, if I didn't have to take the fumes outdoors I coulda', um... you'd have made me keep em' indoors for "creative inspiration" I'm sure

View Profile of otikiniko Send a personal message to otikiniko  Email otikiniko Goto the website of otikiniko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ETseven
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-07 7:26 pm   Permalink

Well my friends,
I just picked up today's new issue of the OCweekly and there is a full page writeup
on the Tiki FREAKout, featuring pictures of Robb Hamels "First Moonrise" Moai and David Lozeau's "Frankentiki".. There is also mention of many of the artists in the show, be sure to check it out! The caption of Hamel's Moai painting jokingly reads
"When we said let's go to the beach and get stoned, we didn't mean literally"..

Now back to more important things Like the damn Closing party on Sat, let's send the show out with a bang!..(no pun intended)
Ruzic, Bigtoe and Clysdalle will be participating in some midget wrestling!

View Profile of ETseven Send a personal message to ETseven  Goto the website of ETseven     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clysdalle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-07 8:39 pm   Permalink

Here is a link to the article....very funny....

http://www.ocweekly.com/culture/arts/the-tiki-freakout-art-show-at-the-light-gallery-in-costa-mesa-proves-some-styles-never-truly-die/29083/

View Profile of Clysdalle Send a personal message to Clysdalle  Email Clysdalle Goto the website of Clysdalle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-08 1:57 pm   Permalink

If you are a collector of tiki come check it out!!!!!!! This is the stuff the next generation will look back on as vintage Tiki!!!! They will be going to museums instead of art gallery's to check out this stuff!!! We brought together the best of Classic and Freaky in what is Tiki!!!!!!!

the Right Artist at the Right Place and Time!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not Just a Fan or Tiki Art,I am a collector!!!!!!!!!What better to invest in!!!!!!

http://tiki-caliente.com/info/?cat=12

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
squid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-09 11:44 am   Permalink

I am so there!

View Profile of squid Send a personal message to squid  Goto the website of squid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-09 12:56 pm   Permalink

"Some of it is meth-head crazy, like the squiggly, cheery nightmare visions of Ken Ruzic. (His Night Journey is burned onto my retinas; I can still see the damn thing when I close my eyes to sleep.)"

Funny, I thought it was zipfizz-crazy....hmmm...

Here's the full O.C. Weekly article:

The 'Tiki FREAKout' Art Show at the Light Gallery in Costa Mesa Proves Some Styles Never Truly Die

By GREG STACY
Thursday, August 7, 2008

After decades of being dismissed as pure kitsch, the tiki aesthetic has enjoyed a revival in the past 10 years or so, with cute little cartoon hula girls turning up all over while big, carved Jack Palance tiki-god heads sit scowling in the background. But here in OC, the tiki style never really went away. The historic Sam’s Seafood restaurant debuted in Huntington Beach in 1960, and after closing in 2006, it’s now open again under the name Kona, offering up its burbling fountains, plastic birds of paradise and gorgeously hideous murals to a new generation. The birds are still singing words and the flowers have never stopped crooning at Disneyland’s Enchanted Tiki Room, a kind of animatronic, everlasting shrine to all things tiki. And of course there’s home-grown artist Josh Agle (a.k.a. Shag), who made his name off the look. When everybody else was hiding their tiki mugs and grass skirts at the back of their closets, the hodads (and, er, homoms) of OC were still proudly letting their tiki freak flags fly.

So it’s entirely appropriate that OC’s own Light Gallery should play host to “Tiki FREAKout,” an exhibit that I’m just going to go ahead and call the largest showing of contemporary tiki-themed art ever. If it’s not, it’s surely all the tiki art you could ever want in one go. We’re talking about several banana boats full of tiki goodness, enough to sink Easter Island.

If you take art seriously at all, this retro-lounge-culture business can be hard to defend. It is silly and kitschy, and it’s pointless to pretend otherwise. This is art made by people with pseudonyms such as “Odd Rodney” and “Bamboo Ben,” after all. But if you’re not looking for profundity—if you go into this show fully prepared for hula girls on black velvet—you’ll be richly rewarded for your fortitude.

You expect “Tiki FREAKout” to be colorful and loud, but you don’t expect it to be this varied, given the seeming narrowness of the theme. There are a few traditional-looking pieces, but the ones that jump out at you put their own weird spin on tiki tropes. The artist known as Babalu carves big and surprisingly fearsome tiki bunnies—well, why not? Tobunga (Eric October to the IRS) has done a series of classic movie-monster paintings in tiki form, so you get a Tikizilla, a Rodan Tiki, a Tiki From the Black Lagoon. Frankly, it’s kind of a stupid idea, if you think about it. But if you don’t think about it, they just look really neat. Godzilla! As a tiki!

Some of this art is brooding, like the enveloping black-velvet moodiness of Robb Hamel. Some of it is meth-head crazy, like the squiggly, cheery nightmare visions of Ken Ruzic. (His Night Journey is burned onto my retinas; I can still see the damn thing when I close my eyes to sleep.) But almost all of the art on display here is technically dazzling. These artists don’t seem to be saying much about themselves or the human condition or any of that other stuff you kind of hope to find in fine art, but they make some exciting choices with color and shape, and their work absolutely crackles with dorky, wiseguy energy.

Of course, there’s good dorky, and then there’s just . . . dorky dorky. I have never quite grasped the appeal of hot-rod culture in general or the leering, sneering creations of Ed “Big Daddy” Roth in particular, and both are treated with the usual lowbrow reverence here. Some of these pieces, while pleasant enough to gaze upon, look a little too much like backgrounds left over from the old Gilligan’s Island Saturday-morning cartoon (David Lazeau’s The Islander Spring Cleaning, I’m gazing meaningfully in your direction).

But that’s just the part of the review where we critics have to drop in something a little bitchy to make it seem like we’re not just fawning. And, really, I’m fawning. This show offers the tiki experience in multiple dimensions, with dozens of colorful paintings crawling across the walls and goodness only knows how many intricately carved pieces lurching out at you from all sides. Of course, no matter how lax your critical faculties are, that carved tiki version of Ultraman is maybe pushing it.

“Tiki FREAKout” group show at the Light Gallery, 440 E. 17th St., Costa Mesa, (949) 515-2018;
www.thelightgalleries.com. Call for hours. Through Aug. 16.

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-09 2:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:
"Some of it is meth-head crazy, like the squiggly, cheery nightmare visions of Ken Ruzic. (His Night Journey is burned onto my retinas; I can still see the damn thing when I close my eyes to sleep.)"
Funny, I thought it was zipfizz-crazy....hmmm...

it IS Zipfizz!
I get a case a month...if I'm a good boy!
Costco sells it
Vitamin B is the lift for me!

That article is like a good review
wrapped in rancid bacon and used coffee filters...
this Greg Stacy guy took jabs at
Odd Rodney
BooBen
Tobunga
meth-head LLT
David Lazeau
Hodad Hank

but still managed to write a funny article
with good things to say about the show...
unfortunately,i can't send the parents a clipping
unless i want concerned phonecalls and interventions
for no good reason...

he even snaked Wildsville's "proudly letting their tiki freak flags fly. " quote

oh well...publicity is better than no publicity...
Hope that article brings some folks down for the opening tonight!
See y'all there!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ETseven
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-09 5:36 pm   Permalink

Did anyone meet Greg who wrote the article?
I didn't so i am just wondering..
I've read some of his reviews, and he'll write about some plain old (Read boring, i.e. a fruit bowl painting) crappy shows and manage to fill a page with his words of the artist's struggle to convey their message about society.. I think he was surprised the show was actually much better than the usual stuff he is forced write about. I'm guessing he has an important "fine art" degree to blame for his often Hoity-Toity reviews. But you know He has a fun side that is dying to come out, Your guys art was probably a new beginning for him eh?

See you Krazy's tonight!
8pm-midnightish
NO STREAKING
or SKEETIN in the parking lot

View Profile of ETseven Send a personal message to ETseven  Goto the website of ETseven     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-09 9:02 pm   Permalink

Hey,

Just landed back in SD...Spent all last week in the Keys with the whole family (20 people)...Can't make it down tonight you freaks. Have a blast!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 3:11 pm   Permalink

Hey Babalu! Cool pic! I missed the event too, as I was on the awesome LA Home Tiki Bar Tour.

Quote:
"Tobunga (Eric October to the IRS) has done a series of classic movie-monster paintings in tiki form, so you get a Tikizilla, a Rodan Tiki, a Tiki From the Black Lagoon. Frankly, it's kind of a stupid idea, if you think about it. But if you don't think about it, they just look really neat. Godzilla! As a tiki!"

Hey waitaminit... I'm thinking about taking umbrage at that... Stupid? STUPID? Well, yeah, kinda... but the point is you're not really supposed to THINK about it, so I guess by the criteria put forth by the reviewer, I'm safe, 'cos "they really look neat", there it is, he said it, in newsprint, so you can't argue with it! "NEAT."

I'm just annoyed he didn't mention March of the Tiki Gods and how awesomely un-stupid it is.

http://ericoctober.com

[ This Message was edited by: tobunga 2008-08-10 15:13 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tobunga 2008-08-10 19:35 ]

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 7:25 pm   Permalink

so what does it mean when you get no mention at all either good or bad???????? Ive always wanted to know. Dawn
After re reading "the article" it seems like the writer has the typical outlook of most Americans. Meaning he's going into the show with pre-conceived notions of what he THINKS it should be based on information that he was taught by the OLD SCHOOL establishment of art. Had he attended the show with an open mind he wouldn't be expecting us to depict our views of the human condition. Better to take things as they are, and have an open mind. Makes life more enjoyable.
AAAANNNDDDDD I spend hours looking at all of the fine art produced by our group and what I'm seeing is great ideas, great painting technique, good design, and those of us who are experts at "setting the mood". Weather or not a particular painting is making a statement about the human condition has never crossed my mind.

[ This Message was edited by: Sophista-tiki 2008-08-10 19:27 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sophista-tiki 2008-08-11 07:25 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sophista-tiki 2008-08-11 07:41 ]

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 7:47 pm   Permalink

Dawn-You were lucky enough to fly under the radar!
Eric-I LOVE your work,so don't listen to Mr. Stacy..Just keep doin what you do and ignore STUPID comments...

I'm just stoked we didn't get dogged as bad as Clysdalle!

Quote:
Some of these pieces, while pleasant enough to gaze upon, look a little too much like backgrounds left over from the old Gilligan's Island Saturday-morning cartoon (David Lazeau's The Islander Spring Cleaning, I'm gazing meaningfully in your direction).

Fun time last night!...
a lotta folks were waaaaaaaaaay burnt out from the Beach burn....
Thanks Steve and Rory for a great show that really pushed the envelope!
and thanks for showing up last night if you did!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRick
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-10 8:57 pm   Permalink

Pictures from the closing reception

Ray- Here is that six foot Tiki no one seemed to be able to find
Must of thought you said six inch tiki.

Plus other items that were ingored or not posted.

View Profile of TikiRick Send a personal message to TikiRick  Email TikiRick Goto the website of TikiRick     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 10:28 pm   Permalink

I miss all the good stuff!!!! I need to quit my job so I can do the Burn and Freakout too!!!!!!
Thanks to all the Artist and Tiki Fan's for being part of a cool experiment....

Thanks to Skinny Dog and Tiki Rick for making this show more interactive and coming up with new way's to enjoy TIKI!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Bigtoe I want my Tablecloth from my picnic table back!!!!! Oh,forget it,it looks great on you!!DIG?

Great People and Great Art is what it's all about!!!

http://tiki-caliente.com/info/?cat=12

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ravenne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 10:36 pm   Permalink

I've read better articles in a high school newspaper OOOOOOO...

but seriously, I re-read the article again and man, lame-o.

ANYWAY! Closing Reception was fun!

Didn't take any pics, but whatever hilarious times were had! That's all ya gotta know!

View Profile of ravenne Send a personal message to ravenne      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation