FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » TIKI FREAKout Art show @ Closing Reception this Saturday 8/9 7p.m. til Midnight
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 )
TIKI FREAKout Art show @ Closing Reception this Saturday 8/9 7p.m. til Midnight
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-11 07:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

These artists don’t seem to be saying much about themselves or the human condition or any of that other stuff you kind of hope to find in fine art

heh?

[ This Message was edited by: Babalu 2008-08-11 08:14 ]

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clysdalle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-11 09:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

I'm just stoked we didn't get dogged as bad as Clysdalle!

Quote:
Some of these pieces, while pleasant enough to gaze upon, look a little too much like backgrounds left over from the old Gilligan's Island Saturday-morning cartoon (David Lazeau's The Islander Spring Cleaning, I'm gazing meaningfully in your direction).

Are you kidding...I love that quote...it's going on my business cards, website, Christmas cards...everything. I've spent my whole life trying to paint like an old background from a Hanna Barbera cartoon!!!

View Profile of Clysdalle Send a personal message to Clysdalle  Email Clysdalle Goto the website of Clysdalle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigToe
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-11 11:29 am   Permalink

thanks for the photos, Rick...almost makes it look like the lovely ladies WEREN'T creeped out by me!

and i LOVE the stink-eye Ivy is giving Steven! classic.

and regarding the article. any pub is good pub right??? i am just bitter he didnt take some cheap shots of my work!

And no thanks the rest of u lunk-heads, i don't need u to step in and wax eloquently about my short-comings in his stead.

tee hee, t

View Profile of BigToe Send a personal message to BigToe  Email BigToe Goto the website of BigToe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ETseven
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-11 1:10 pm   Permalink

That pic is too FUNNY! One second we were discussing our plans for the next Art Tease show, the next I was turned to stone. I must have been trying to goof on Ruzic again, before Ivy slapped me across the face! Lesson learned, I'm now gonna make one of those Texas shirts that will read "Don't mess with Ken"

View Profile of ETseven Send a personal message to ETseven  Goto the website of ETseven     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-12 06:09 am   Permalink

I like that the OC article mentioned me and Ken together. I'm moody and he's crazy - we go together like Abbott and Costello, Hope and Crosby, Little Timmy and Lassie....

"Doesn't say anything about the human condition?" My paintings are about loneliness - that IS the human condition.

He DID say he's fawning; I thinks he was surprisingly positve.

Kick-ass job everyone!

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ETseven
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-13 02:19 am   Permalink

So here's a few pics I snapped from the closing reception of the FREAKout.

B.T.Dude Hipped me to some good wax early in the eve

Mr Blair happy as a clam

Squid & Bai!

Kinny had em convinced he was the model for Ultratang!

Thanks again to all of you for the good times!
you guys seriously Rock
*Insert shameless plug here*
Next stop Surf Revival August 23rd!

View Profile of ETseven Send a personal message to ETseven  Goto the website of ETseven     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ETseven
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-15 2:13 pm   Permalink

The rest of the pics from the closing reception have been posted and can be seen
from the link below or in our myspace pictures

http://www.thelightgalleries.com/wp-content/plugins/falbum/wp/album.php?show=recent&page=1

You guys enjoy yourselves at TIKI Oasis this weekend!
Have a cold Mai Tai in the breeze for me

Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-22 11:17 am   Permalink

Attention all you Freaky Tiki's!!!!!!!! We have am Original Robb Hamel left at the Light Gallery that is ready to go!!!!!!!!!! This piece was Presold and was talked about from people that came to the opening reception... We did not take waiting list names because this piece was prepaid for. The customer who payed came in the gallery and wanted the larger Robb Hamel Original instead. (probably because it was featured in O.C. Weekly)

We would like to sell it to a T.C'er so please let us know A.S.A.P.

The light gallery will be having a surf show that will premier this weekend and this original will be on display if not SOLD.

P.S. If you do not pull the trigger,Wildsville Man will!!!!!!!! This is an AWESOME piece!!!!

Price is $475........and it's ready to go
Let me or the light gallery know (steven)

Sorry about the picture quality.....go to Robb Hamels link to see a better photo

http://tiki-caliente.com/info/?cat=12

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ETseven
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-09-04 11:05 pm   Permalink

So I'm reading the OCweekly again today, and someone named Erika wrote in a letter to the editor to defend all of the artists work in the Freakout who were subject to Art reviewer Greg Stacy's article. She says "he revels in mediocrity, and once again takes the easy way out by condescending his way through an empty review with underdeveloped thoughts and childish insults."(I shoulda warned him don't mess with Kinny!) Homegirl has has your back, You've gotta check it out.. It's really well written and she goes as far as to say "I can appreciate the raw talent and reckless abandon of these artists"

I like that, I think i'm gonna make that our new gallery slogan!
The Light Gallery> Orange County's home for "Raw Talent and Reckless Abandonement!"
Now Mark Your Calendars>

Clysdalle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-05 3:50 pm   Permalink

Credit to the OC for printing that....and that is what happens when you piss off my lady. I've gotten about 25 of those letters during our relationship

Here is a link....

http://www.ocweekly.com/2008-09-04/columns/letters/

and the letter....

----------------------------------

TIKI TORCHED
Unfortunately, this article was poorly written and extremely negative, something I have come to expect from Greg Stacy [“Where the Birds Sing Words and the Flowers Croon,” Aug. 8].

Art is, after all, subjective, so I don’t expect, nor would I appreciate, a “vanilla” review, but there should have been some attempt to explore the artistry and appeal of this popular, tongue-in-cheek take on the SoCal beach culture. There are many colors, layers and sides to our community, and let’s be honest, not many of them are represented in the Pageant of the Masters.

I attended the “Tiki FREAKout” show opening, and while I don’t completely understand or like everything the lowbrow scene has to offer, I can appreciate the raw talent and reckless abandon of these artists. Sure, many can paint a perfect, precious watercolor beach landscape, like that from a bored Orange County housewife with too much money in the bank and too little interest in her children, and yet none choose to entertain that kind of mediocrity.

Greg Stacy, on the other hand, revels in mediocrity and, once again, takes the easy way out by condescending his way through an empty review with underdeveloped thoughts and childish insults. The OC Weekly—and the community it supports—deserves better than that.

Erika, via e-mail

----------------------------------

View Profile of Clysdalle Send a personal message to Clysdalle  Email Clysdalle Goto the website of Clysdalle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation