FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts TikiMango's Art- P6 New Art: Tiki Flyer
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
TikiMango's Art- P6 New Art: Tiki Flyer
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-28 07:37 am   Permalink

The 'Incredible Mr. Limpet' is a treasured nugget of my childhood too!

Thanks Ray for creating such a "Mango" hybid of two diverse cultures..a collision of admiration located in a parallel universe of your mind..passive & aggressive..you could have painted a Maori Barney Fife and achieved the same self-deprecating emotional quality.

Of course now that you're merrily strolling down this path - how much longer before 'The Ghost and Mr. Chicken' or 'The Reluctant Astronaut' or 'The Shakiest Gun In The West' or a wacked-out psychedelic Ralph Furley release themselves from the mighty Mango paint-brush?

(Spell Check just erased half my message -Damn computers!)

[ This Message was edited by: TikiG 2009-09-28 07:43 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TikiG 2009-09-28 07:44 ]

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-28 09:10 am   Permalink

TikiG, interesting that you should mention the passive/aggressive theme here, as that was exactly what I was going for. The only reason I picked Henry Limpet over Barney Fife was that Limpet also has an element of escapism and water that I enjoy so much. It's been awhile since I've seen the movie, but I am pretty sure that Henry really wishes he could get turned into a fish to escape his life. The animated Fishy-Limpet turns into a reluctant WWII hero at the end, and finds the love of his life... awe. (cue the sappy end song)

So yea, the warrior moko on such a meek character, I thought was very fun. No plans to turn this into a "series".

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-28 5:50 pm   Permalink

my 2 favorite things
Don Knotts
and moko...

too MUCH!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-12 6:51 pm   Permalink

Ok, so let me stick my foot in my mouth... I wasn't planning on doing a "series", but I really enjoy the juxtaposition of frailty or cowardliness and Maori Moko. I racked my brain trying to think of a 60's TV actor that wasn't too iconic, yet would still be recognizable. I decided on Johnathan Harris' most well known character, Doctor Zachary Smith from Lost in Space. For those that remember the very first episodes, Dr. Smith was a cruel and ruthless saboteur/spy, but somewhere along the way he turned into a whining and complaining character. Such a shame. So here's #2, Lost in Moko.

Another small painting, 9x12, acrylic on canvas. The shirt looks black in this scan, but is actually a dark green with black folds.

Detail of Moko on face. I wish I had taken a picture before the application of the Moko, as it's really hard to see Dr. Smith in there.

I've also been asked why the Moko is blue and not black. From what I have read, the Moko could vary from a black to indigo shade, depending on time period and technique/materials used. For me is was just a personal preference to go with the indigo.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-13 1:47 pm   Permalink

TMango:

Thumbs Up for Moko No.2 I always loved to hate the Dr. you love to hate - Zachary Smith. Whiny? Yeah!

See! I know you have a series here, Ray - I knew it!

I trust you have more ideas rolling around your head...should you run out of ideas...I'm here.

G

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-23 4:26 pm   Permalink

TikiG, you called me out on the series for sure. I still have one more I need to get out of my system, but it'll have to wait.

So I haven't done much on the painting front lately. I did manage to work up this idea for another silk screened t-shirt. I'll probably have these at Hukilau this year. I sketched this last night laying in bed, and then cleaned it up in PhotoShop today.

Thanks for looking as always.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-25 06:38 am   Permalink

Mango, I missed this! Another study in contrasts, this time it's modern technology vs ancient technology. Very cool.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-25 06:48 am   Permalink

Great Moai art. Looks amazing.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-25 07:56 am   Permalink

I love this! Why? well it inspired an immediate concept for an amusement park ride!! Get a patent on this right away, TMango!!

Like MDM said: "another study in contrasts"...that says it all when it comes to describe your graphic art over the past year or so. We're so lucky as a group to have you a member, Ray, and I'm proud to say my friend is doing the "study in contrasts" concept regularly. It fits your personality in relation to Poly-Pop art like a glove.

OK! I hope it doesn't take another three months for you to post something new on THIS thread

tiki since '67!

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-25 07:57 am   Permalink

you gonna build one?

hope so!
great piece!
and great talking to you on the hone at the chop yesterday!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-25 4:33 pm   Permalink

MadDogMike, thanks for the compliments. I always have the mantra of juxtaposition running through my head.

Kon-Hembsy, glad you like the moai. That image has been rolling around in my skull for a while, I was glad it finally got out.

TikiG, you're the master of the Dark Ride concepts, if that's the direction your mind's eye was heading. I'll try to get more active over here.

LLT, it was great gabbing on the phone with you guys at the Chop over the weekend. I'd build it if I could, my folks rid me of my Erector set.

Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-25 10:15 pm   Permalink

Sweet design Mango! Great line work.

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-26 12:05 pm   Permalink

The Mecha-Moai is very cool. I like seeing something so non-traditional!

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-17 8:27 pm   Permalink

I've been away from the Tiki Tribe for far too long! I'm glad I was able to find my way back to the paints. I'm trying to do a few more paintings this year, as I hardly did anything last year. This was a small painting, just to get my feet wet again and remember how to hold a brush. I call this one Tiki Flight, and it mixes my interests of sci-fi and tiki. Maybe some of you can ID the tiki?

Acrylics on canvas board, 9x12.

Close-up of the "retro-future" Flyer.

Close-up of the Tiki and Explorer.

Thanks for looking!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation