FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tiki Lee's Carving Post: 1st carving since '09!?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Tiki Lee's Carving Post: 1st carving since '09!?
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-20 05:03 am   Permalink

Leester -

There are lots of places you can pick up cedar here in San Diego. Git some 2x12s while you're in town! Can't go wrong - it's cheap as a morning bike ride.

And remind me to show you around a few local classic antique shops if you have the time.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lee's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-22 11:30 pm   Permalink

So here's the finished carving of the last drawing on the board in the post above. Now that I know how to get softer cuts, and am using Howard's Beeswax, I'm alot happier with the results.

It's about 2' tall, and 12" across; rock-hard Doug Fir again.

Which reminds me, I actually found a 2" x 8" x 8' REDWOOD Board today, so I FINALLY get to try out this softer wood in a format larger than a dang fence plank! Yipee!

I'll be back soon!

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Lee's 2008-07-22 23:32 ]

View Profile of Tiki Lee's Send a personal message to Tiki Lee's      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-23 3:22 pm   Permalink

Looking good Tiki Lee, have fun with the redwood.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lee's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-05 2:48 pm   Permalink

O.K.- so the redwood ain't as soft and easy as I had thought. BUT, it was much easier to burn. The doug fir takes a long l-o-n-g time to get the desired effect, and redwood bubbles up "like that".

So here's what I've been toying with these past weeks...

each one is about 1' to 1 1/2' tall.

I've also been making pendant-sized pieces to sell at T.O. 8. Each one is different, but they all kinda look like this:

I just have to decide how to thread 'em. A hook-eye in the top, or a dangerous drilling expidition thru the core? I don't have a drill press, so I'm afraid that I might wreck a bunch with a wobbly drill hand thru fragile charred wood.

I'll be back soon with more!

View Profile of Tiki Lee's Send a personal message to Tiki Lee's      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-05 4:53 pm   Permalink

Nice work! Sounds like you are having fun experimenting
with the wood and technique.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-05 7:49 pm   Permalink

Lee, I just started delving into trying to work wood into a Witco look as well, but you're obviously way ahead of me, these look fantastic! I've been playing with cedar the last couple of weeks and today tried calling around for redwood (ironic now that I've read this thread and see that I'm basically following a few steps behind you). I found a couple of places that stock 2x8's, but won't sell to the public. One told me I could get Lowe's to order it from them for me, so I'm going to pursue that. Anyway, very impressive work you're doing!

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTres 2008-08-08 08:34 ]

View Profile of TikiTres Send a personal message to TikiTres  Email TikiTres     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-05 7:52 pm   Permalink

By the way, are you carving with a chainsaw? I tried it but just can't control it like I want. I finally switched to making the main cuts with a router and then deepening and shaping the cuts with assorted sanding & carving bits chucked up in a moto-tool.

View Profile of TikiTres Send a personal message to TikiTres  Email TikiTres     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Austin_Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-08 07:21 am   Permalink

Nice work, Lee!

View Profile of Austin_Tiki Send a personal message to Austin_Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-08 08:33 am   Permalink

Killer! Look great. They look like little chocolates! Hmmmm, THERE's an idea! Tiki chocolates.

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-27 12:50 am   Permalink

I think your new redwood stuff is bitchin' Lee!

Hey, anybody in San Diego wanting to take a closer look at some of Lee's cool work, stop by Freaky Boutiki & tell 'em Hodaddy sent ya to recieve an Ohana discount card reusable till global warming submerges our store!

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lee's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-16 01:35 am   Permalink

Aloha Gang!

I finally got around to actually carving something these past weeks. Fighting foreclosure is a Royal Bitch and I don't recommend it to anyone because it messes up Everything in your life. Anyway, it's been almost a year since I carved something and I finally got the chance to get back to it. Can you say "RUSTY?" Man, I've forgotten a whole lot. I have to get back to Palm Logs before I forget everything I've been taught.

Anyway, here it is:

It's about 36" tall by 12" wide in Redwood. I made it for my folks' patio. They have a small orchard of Orange Trees, so my Wife Gloria suggested I make this guy holding an Orange. And there you have it... Not too bad, but not as good as I wanted it to be, either. Gotta keep practicing without the dag-gone long down-time in between!

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-16 06:08 am   Permalink

Nice, Lee, I like it! Good to see you back!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-16 07:52 am   Permalink

move over WITCO!
Nice job Lee!
Happy to see you
whipping up a creative frenzy
after a long break....

YAY!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-16 08:10 am   Permalink

Real nice Lee! I guess you don't have to toss your stuff on the campfire
anymore

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-16 09:30 am   Permalink

nice stuff lee. love all the designs you use, gotta agree with little lost tiki. did you ever find the cedar or redwood planks? you might try glueing a few pieces together to get your desired width. just a thought.

bd

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation