FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki chunk swag lamps
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
chunk swag lamps
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-10 04:50 am   Permalink

it's simple....sven's house and davids store exist as parallel universe.....whatever you find at sven's...will be found at davids store....they are connected by a worm hole in the universal fabric..if you can locate it, you can travel through it between the 2 locations....one second you be standing in sven's living room, the next you will be standing in david's store.....and then back again.

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-07-10 04:52 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-10 09:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-10 04:50, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

it's simple....sven's house and davids store exist as parallel universe.....whatever you find at sven's...will be found at davids store....they are connected by a worm hole in the universal fabric..if you can locate it, you can travel through it between the 2 locations....one second you be standing in sven's living room, the next you will be standing in david's store.....and then back again.

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-07-10 04:52 ]

can you ship through this worm hole? cause that would save alot on shipping.just a thought.

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-10 10:00 am   Permalink

I was thinking maybe Sven could just reach through the wormhole, grab a few lamps he desires to add to his collection, and that way he can save both on shipping and payment! Just an idea!
Just have to figure out a way to close the hole....What would Richard Dean Anderson do..?

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-10 10:04 am   Permalink

glad these came up, i love chunk lamps. I have two of the circular orange yellow (fireball) ones in my living room. Though the same color, the chunks on one are rectangular, the chunks on the other are triangular.
having them shipped can be a bitch because the small pebble like chunks on the base have a tendency to fall off, you have to watch for bald spots.
On the notion of making them, i work with resins and have considered making some of these lamps. The chemical thing is an issue. resins generally never completely gas out their isocyanates, and have always wondered if i am getting low doses on a daily basis every time the lamp is turned on and heated up. There resins out now have varying degrees of toxicity, referring to outgasing during its process of hardening and after. So if i get the time to experiment, i would first look at resins that are supposed to be more consumer/hobbyist friendly.
I have looked at the inside of these closely, and judging from drips and slumping on the inside of the lamp, my guess is that they had a negative rubber mold that they slushed or brushed up. Resin in its process of going from liquid to solid has a taffy stage, so some of the drippy slumping may be from brushing up that material when it hits the taffy stage. Then I assume that while the core of the lamp is still tender,it is removed from the mold, the outside is brushed with more resin, and the premade chunks and or pebble bits are attached.
Not big on the spun resin lamps myself, but i would assume there is some machine work involved.
I would love to find out more about how these were made, and any photos and articles from the period. Hopefully this thread will not get buried too far and someone can shed more light. Sven, i think you have another book, Hanging swag lamps of the 60's and 70's.
At the Tonga Hut show on August 2nd I will have some of my new cast/hand built swag chunk lamp mugs. Will post pics up soon.

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-07-10 10:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-10 10:04, OceaOtica wrote:
At the Tonga Hut show on August 2nd I will have some of my new cast/hand built swag chunk lamp mugs. Will post pics up soon.

I was hoping you were gonna say that.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-10 11:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-10 10:04, OceaOtica wrote:
resins generally never completely gas out their isocyanates, and have always wondered if i am getting low doses on a daily basis every time the lamp is turned on and heated up.

Arrrgh! OK, from now on I will wear a gas mask around the house in the evening...and will only take it off when I drink from my lead-glaze Tiki mugs.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-13 10:47 am   Permalink

Nice amber resin super chunk lamp closing on e-bay now, still cheap:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160258608796&ssPageName=ADME:B:DBS:US:1123

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-13 11:00 am   Permalink

Spoke to lady of vintage age that I have ceramics classes with. She said she used to make these lamps years ago. She recalled the resin being very smelly (but of course). She said the resins were purchased from a paint store. She had classes, i think she said, at macarthur park. They would make them outside. She specifically recalled making the grape bunch lights, having a glass mold to pour resin into. That seems odd to me, do not know how that would work. She pointed me in the direction of another lady who teaches still today, that used to make the lamps. I hope to contact her and pick her brain. If all this info is on the up and up, it would explain why there is no real info on a company that made them. They were all made by people for hobby and home.

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-13 2:59 pm   Permalink

I think both is true, some were home made, some manufactured by lamp companies. This very popular style:

....was offered as a do-it-yourself kit, I have a full page ad for these from an old magazine, I just can't find it right now (arrgh!)

For example, my newest acquisition, this resin flower lamp, was used for 60s apartments in different designs, so it couldn't have been home made:

I posted Kate's example of one in situ in an apartment A-frame on page 2 of this thread, here is a cylindrical version that used to hang at the Kona Pali apartments (and at the Kona Kai):

I just can't decide if this beauty looks better ON....

...or OFF, it is just so yummy and sharp:

in fact it looks SO clean, it must have never been used, like it came right out of the box!

I am looking very much forward to hear any recollections from your senior contacts, maybe they can recall where else similar resin lamps were available, and maybe they have some materials left.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-07-13 15:18 ]

TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-14 03:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-13 10:47, bigbrotiki wrote:
Nice amber resin super chunk lamp closing on e-bay now, still cheap:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160258608796&ssPageName=ADME:B:DBS:US:1123

someone got a deal.

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-04 9:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-08 08:38, naugatiki wrote:

I saw on just like this one on the film The Trip and believe it's a handicraft

Craft stores used to sell the wire frame and lamp parts, you could either buy the resin pieces or they had molds to make them your self. I always wanted to try one as a kid but my Mom would flip out, "Oh my gosh! That is such white trash Stephen."
I wish I had not listened.
Millions of those were sold, where are they now?

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-29 5:16 pm   Permalink

Here's a chunk lamp I found down Ohio way a month or so ago....

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-09-29 7:50 pm   Permalink

I love this one, great find.

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-29 10:11 pm   Permalink

The chunkier the better!
Wendy, any luck with that family connection you mentioned at Oasis?

bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-29 10:44 pm   Permalink

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=330274663988

Not very chunky, but cheap.

croe67, Sweet find! And in TIKIDAVID's neck of the woods. Ohio's got everything!

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation