FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Honolulu Harry's Waikiki Restaurant, Chicago, IL (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Honolulu Harry's Waikiki Restaurant, Chicago, IL (restaurant)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-19 12:14 pm   Permalink

Puamana,

Nice matchbook. You posted the two front sides, what's the back side look like?

Looks like Honolulu Harry may have come along after the Waikiki started.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-19 3:52 pm   Permalink

Oops, just fixed the pics, thanks DC! By the way, those 2 business cards & the photo folder
are nice finds!

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-22 11:48 pm   Permalink

Here is another pre-Honolulu Harry matchbook from the Club Waikiki.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-24 08:58 am   Permalink

Then there's this older matchbook with Honolulu Harry. I don't think that it was the Club Waikiki without Harry for that long.

DC

Edited with upgraded photo

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2012-07-25 18:22 ]

Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-23 9:14 pm   Permalink

Honolulu Harry had a bit of clever marketing with his goddess, "Hina":

Here is Hina arriving in Chicago from Hawaii (an archival news bureau photo from July 1955):

"HOPE" COMES TO CHICAGO ... Hina, traditional Hawaiian emblem of hope, the first to come to Chicago, was flown in yesterday by Untited Airlines. It is claimed Hina will grant any reasonable wish made to her - provided a token donation is made to charity. Hina is 'alive' - carved from a living fern root and sprouts leaves and flowers. A special niche has been prepared at Club Waikiki. A group of Polynesians greeted the legendary figure at the airport by performing flower and sword dances to island music. From L to R, Nailei, who did a ritual hula, and Honolulu Harry.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiFan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-11-17 10:07 am   Permalink

I found this picture on ebay. Auction for the negative ends tonight.

View Profile of TikiFan Send a personal message to TikiFan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-26 12:13 pm   Permalink

here's a menu i found at an estate sale.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ragbag Comics
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-01 7:12 pm   Permalink

Does anyone know why there are two different addresses listed for Honolulu Harry's?

In older materials (there's a 1940's postcard that seems to pop up on eBay fairly frequently) the address is listed at 4541 N. Broadway, and it's called "Honolulu Harry's Waikiki." On later matchbooks and promotional materials, it's listed at 804 W. Wilson, and the name has changed to "Club Waikiki."

Granted, these addresses aren't too terribly far from each other (I should know, we live a few blocks from there) but I'm wondering if the same bar moved, or if there were two totally different Waikiki-themed bars within a couple blocks of each other once upon a time?

Worth mentioning, too, that the Polynesian Village used to be in the Edgewater Beach hotel, too (just a bit north of the 804 Wilson locale on Sheridan.)

Here is where I would share cool pictures of ephemera from the Polynesian Village...

...unfortunately I don't have any.

View Profile of Ragbag Comics Send a personal message to Ragbag Comics  Goto the website of Ragbag Comics     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-21 05:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-12-01 19:12, Ragbag Comics wrote:
Does anyone know why there are two different addresses listed for Honolulu Harry's?

Ragbag,

Nice observation, never noticed that before. This early postcard is the only piece of paper I have seen that has the 4551 Broadway address. It was Honolulu Harry's so I am assuming the place moved early on.

Here is another photo of the building exterior.

Here is where I would share cool pictures of ephemera from the Polynesian Village...

...unfortunately I don't have any.

And here is the link to the cool stuff from the Polynesian Village.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=34213&forum=2&hilite=polynesian

DC

tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-21 11:50 am   Permalink

The Broadway address is at the corner of Broadway and Wilson, so it might have been a zoning thing, or maybe their entrance moved around the corner or something?

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ragbag Comics
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-09 8:41 pm   Permalink

I know Broadway and Wilson was voted dry some time in the 1960's or early 70's, but Harry's would've moved to Wilson way before that (in fact, it likely closed in the 1960's, as most of the ephemera I've seen from there dries up around the mid-to-late 1950's. Anybody know exactly when it closed?)

Even if Harry's HAD made it deep into the '60's, by the 70's the neighborhood had gotten so bad people were razing their buildings for insurance money. The 1980's saw a new alderman and a massive influx of social services and public housing that was still going on up to her retirement a year ago.

My assumption is the building that housed Harry's was probably torn down during the mass exodus of more affluent folks from the neighborhood in the 60's and 70's. Many neighborhood business shuttered their doors around that time. By the 1980's, even the noble, classic Chicago gem that is the Green Mill (Al Capone's ACTUAL old hang out) was more or less abandoned and full of junkies until the current owner bought and restored it in 1989 (leading to a kind of slow renaissance that's still going on today.)

But I digress... no way Harry's was gonna weather that perfect storm.

--Pete

View Profile of Ragbag Comics Send a personal message to Ragbag Comics  Goto the website of Ragbag Comics     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-20 10:21 am   Permalink

Spotted these napkins on ebay that show the rather seamless progression from Club Waikiki on Wilson to Honolulu Harry's Waikiki on Broadway.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-22 7:24 pm   Permalink

Picked up another matchcover from the Waikiki with some nice graphics.

Back of the matchcover advertises a free Hawaiian Lucky Charm... wonder what that looked like?

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 4:38 pm   Permalink

I found some information on the Honolulu Harry's Club Waikiki time-line.

This article from May, 1962 announces the 10-year anniversary of Club Waikiki. So Honolulu Harry must have opened it in 1952.

This article from June 1962 indicates that talent agent Bernie Horne and Chief Tavui the Samoan fire cancer took over the restaurant from Honolulu Harry.

Some more of the entertainment from 1956.

And finally a nice souvenir tourist photo of the ladies dressed up on stage for the obligatory audience participation hula show.

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation