FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki The poetry of Don Blanding / Vagabond's House
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
The poetry of Don Blanding / Vagabond's House
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2012-10-13 7:00 pm   Permalink

Since there is not a Locating Tiki post for Vagabond's House and since t's Pre-Tiki anyway I'll put this here. From the Los Angeles Public Library Photo Archives -

"Two notables at Vagabond's House for Tuesday Fashion Show Revue were Joe Chastek, he only owns the place, and beloved Joe DiMaggio (right)." Photograph dated: August 21, 1953.

Not much to see but hopefully this inspires people to keep looking. There were a also couple of very generic boring shots, not really worth posting.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-14 03:00 am   Permalink

Indeed, when looking back at the first two pages of this thread, there is more material on the Vagabond's House restaurant than on Blanding's poetry in it - which is OK, because the existence of the restaurant represents the main context of Blanding's oeuvre to Tiki culture (in addition to, perhaps, my Don The Beachcomber origin theory). So can a moderator go in and add "Vagabond's House/" to the existing header written by China Rose?

In addition to my OTHER theory expounded on on the previous page, there is of course an easy way to see more of his art work:
Although I abhor the pilfering of books to sell single illustration pages, looking under "Don Blanding" on e-bay provides an extensive, visually rich gallery of his graphic art:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_lncat=0&_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=don+blanding&_pgn=2&_skc=50&rt=nc

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-12 8:58 pm   Permalink

This is a great thread. Just got this really nice old linen color postcard showing three views of the Vagabond's House and a photo of "Vagabond Joe Chastek".

Also got some paper from the third Chastek tropical restaurant, can you name it?

Will post that one soon.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-15 5:18 pm   Permalink

What, no guesses on Joe Chastek's third restaurant?

Here are some close-ups of my new postcard.

And a really cool Christmas matchbook that Cheryl Crill posted in her Matchcover newsletter.

Finally a screen grab from a 1964 episode of Burke's Law that shows the Vagabond's House building.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-15 8:02 pm   Permalink

Joe Chastek's second nightclub was the Tradewinds, and it's driving me nuts that I can't find any photos or ephemera of the place (on line or anywhere).
How about you Dusty? Any images?
aloha, tikicoma

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-16 08:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-11-15 20:02, tikicoma wrote:
Joe Chastek's second nightclub was the Tradewinds, and it's driving me nuts that I can't find any photos or ephemera of the place (on line or anywhere).
How about you Dusty? Any images?
aloha, tikicoma

You are correct sir! An yes I have some paper on the Trade Winds. Will post soon.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-16 5:10 pm   Permalink

Here is the link to the Trade Winds thread I started.

Trade Winds

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-28 3:15 pm   Permalink

Picked up this old news wire photo showing a more "mature" Joe Chastek and the interior of the Vagabond's House.

Joe is the second from the right. The other gents are baseball men from the Minnesota Twins who were in town for the first ever game played by the Los Angeles Angels at Wrigley Field in Los Angeles in April of 1961.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-27 9:48 pm   Permalink

A menu cover I saw some time ago, nice one.

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-29 06:36 am   Permalink

...the Dayak design of which was discussed on page 1 and 2 of this thread:

And here is a nice little pocket puzzle, with some wonderful Polynesian pop poetry:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-03-27 4:29 pm   Permalink

You can read some more about Blanding's design work for Vernon Kilns at www.replacements.com/thismonth/archive/v1011d.htm

The handpainted aquarium design is very rare. www.don-blanding.com/vernon.htm

A company called Hawaiian Islands Tea Company puts snippets of Don Blanding's poems on some of their boxes of tea.
Such as:
"So many days throughout the year I drink my cup of herbal cheer. It warms the body and calms the soul. No fragrance, tint or taste is missed, in Nature's wonderous teatime gift." Adapted from My Hawaiian Garden by Hawaii Poet Don Blanding.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-01 5:12 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

May Day is Lei Day in Hawaii. Mahalo Don Blanding where ever you may be...

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-07 11:07 pm   Permalink

I just spotted the Vagabond's House in a 1964 episode of "Burke's Law" entitled "Who Killed WHO IV" (the show that of course also featured Don the Beachcomber bartender Leon Lontoc).

Incidentally, I know my parents went there some time in the early 60's, because my mother brought home a couple of matchbooks which I still have:

Caltiki Brent

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-06 2:31 pm   Permalink

Here is something fun for my Tiki/Hawaiian collector friends out their that are always going to thrift stores and enjoy the hunt to preserve our Tiki/Hawaiian History.
This last week I found 20 Sealed copy"s of Don Blanding "Vagabonds House". Published in the mid-1950's on Red Wax.
He was considered the Original Tiki Poet.

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJLee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-06 3:47 pm   Permalink

Wow - excellent! I sure would like to buy one are you going to put any up for sale?
www.dionysusrecords.com

Join me for "Over Under Sideways Down" on LuxuriaMusic.com Wednesdays, 3-5 PM Pacific

View Profile of DJLee Send a personal message to DJLee  Goto the website of DJLee     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation