FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food The real Dr. Funk
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
The real Dr. Funk
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-11 1:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-11 12:50, The Gnomon wrote:
Anyone know what Bernard Funk looked like? Maybe he sported a Fu Manchu. I can find any pics of the guy yet.

I got as far as this:

Stevenson" target="_blank">http://202.4.48.191/cgi-bin/koha/opac-search.pl?op=do_search&type=opac&marclist=∧_or=and&excluding=&operator=contains&value=Robert+Louis+Stevenson

...but I think one has to contact them and find out if they can scan a photo....

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-11 1:47 pm   Permalink

I can just see the confused look we're all going to receive next time we're in a Trader Vic's and order a "Doctor Foonk". Damn the Germans and their foonky pronunciations!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-11 2:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-11 13:47, GatorRob wrote:
I can just see the confused look we're all going to receive next time we're in a Trader Vic's....

...upon which we are gonna launch into this lengthy tirade about WHY this is correct, irrevocably outing ourselves as the Tiki know-it-all nerds we are!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tabu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-12 2:51 pm   Permalink

I always wondered about that cocktail. Since I like my booze with a little history I'm off to make one. Cool thread.

View Profile of Tabu Send a personal message to Tabu  Email Tabu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tabu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-13 08:21 am   Permalink

Ok. I tried it and it was delicious. I am going to make it a regular at my house. Did not have any geranium leaves handy so that's something to try in the future. I'm not sure if that would add any scent or flavor to the whole experience but otherwise it was great.

View Profile of Tabu Send a personal message to Tabu  Email Tabu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-13 2:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-13 08:21, Tabu wrote:
Ok. I tried it and it was delicious.

Did you make it without rum?

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tabu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-13 8:14 pm   Permalink

There was rum. Had to go with Goslings black.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-14 4:00 pm   Permalink

Here's even a Trader Vic's version that is rum only, completely mitout Absinthe, from a 1940s booklet that I lent someone and forgot who (boo hoo):

Vic knowingly changed it and thus renamed it. Even though (if the illustration is supposed to depict Dr. Funk) he seemed to had an inkling that the good Dr. was of Caucasian origin, I doubt he knew about the R.L. Stevenson connection, because he repeats the "Dr Funk of Tahiti" moniker, while we now know that the man lived and practiced in Samoa...

Re-reading the text passage that I started this thread with:

"But his fame spread...from Samoa to Tahiti..."Dr Funk" one hears in every club and bar.."

It appears to me that the DRINK spread to Tahiti and became THE thing there, and so "Dr. Funk of Tahiti" is meant in regards to the cocktail, not the man. I asked Mr. Berry, and he believes that it was here that Don the B picked up the recipe, on one of his early travels.
Both Vic and Don liked a good story, and if they would have been privy to the fact that the cocktail was invented by the physician of a famous South Seas writer, they would have used that.

Which means A.) We now know more than Don and Vic did, and B.) We still need to find the original recipe, the one without rum.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-07-14 16:22 ]

Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-14 7:09 pm   Permalink

cool. we got the funk.
hey bigbro, doesn't "funk" mean "radio/wireless" in german or somesuch?

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-14 7:32 pm   Permalink

Correct:

"Rundfunk", and its abbreviation "Funk", means Radio (not the object, but the institution)

A "Funker" is a radio operator.

"Funken" as a verb means to radio, to transmit, and as a subject "Der Funken" it means "the spark" ---which is probably were the above terms originated in the German language, from the spark of the telegraph clicker...

...which doesn't really help us one bit in the above quest

MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-14 8:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-14 19:32, bigbrotiki wrote:

A "Funker" is a radio operator.

Then his mom would be a "Mutterfunker".

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TraderPeg
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-19 1:11 pm   Permalink

This is a great thread. Leave it to BigBro to sniff out the provenance on the Dr. Funk, which could turn out to be the oldest Tiki drink recipe of all!

View Profile of TraderPeg Send a personal message to TraderPeg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 11:12 pm   Permalink

Here is a Dr. Funk entry from the Luau Room at the Hotel del Coronado

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Carmine Verandah
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-01-12 4:45 pm   Permalink

Love this thread -- quirky history being one of La Verandah's pet hobbies.

I recently came across this reference to Dr. Bernard Funk under a section titled Prominent Personalities, in an old book reprinted online called "Island Reminiscences: A graphic, detailed Romance of a Life spent in the South Sea Islands," by Thomas Trood, British Vice-Consul at Apia, Samoa:
http://www.archive.org/stream/islandreminiscen00trooiala/islandreminiscen00trooiala_djvu.txt

"...Dr. Bernard Funk, the oldest medical practitioner in Apia,
made his bow to the invalid public here about the same period,
1881, and since then has won golden opinions by his medical success.
In obstetric cases especially he is the man."

In another book mentioned on Google, "Selected Letters of Robert Louis Stevenson," Dr. Funk is mentioned in Fanny Stevenson's diary as a "boisterous surgeon" with a strident voice.

Sounds like quite the character, in keeping with someone who would invent a memorable cocktail.

View Profile of Carmine Verandah Send a personal message to Carmine Verandah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2010-01-17 12:28 pm   Permalink

Another reference to the enigmatic Dr. Bernard Funk, from "Samoa 'Uma, Where Life is Different" by Llewella Pierce Churchill, Forest and Stream Publishing Company, New York (1902), digitized by Google on www.archive.org:

"With a Mother's affection and gratitude, this volume is dedicated to Dr. Bernard Funk, whose great skill and unceasing care saved the life of my dear Son at Apia, Samoa."

I'll drink to that!

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation