FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Bosko patio project- 07-07-10 update
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Bosko patio project- 07-07-10 update
TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-19 8:10 pm   Permalink

I don't think Witco used cedar, I read that they used another type of wood that is not widely available like it was back then. It was something unusual, like cyprus or sycamore or something. Maybe it was in one of BigBro's books that I saw that, I'll have to go back and look. The marlin I have that was done by Ken is cedar, plus I have a couple of carvings by Bosko that are cedar. They both got a lot deeper cuts into the grain than I did and they are much smoother too. I'm going to test a power washer, I'm thinking that when the wood gets wet it softens the wood between the grain and gives it that deeper "cut". I'll try to borrow my neighbor's washer tomorrow and give it a try.

View Profile of TikiTres Send a personal message to TikiTres  Email TikiTres     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-20 09:38 am   Permalink

Witco used cedar. It was a kind of cedar called 'swamp cedar'. It is very soft and isn't very good for construction purposes, but good for carving.

View Profile of blindy the pirate Send a personal message to blindy the pirate  Email blindy the pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-20 6:45 pm   Permalink

Thanks Blindy! I looked it up and apparently "Swamp Cedar" is the same thing as "Eastern White Cedar". Not sure what it's availability is in other parts of the country, but around here we mainly get Western Red Cedar.

I'm not done with my wood testing, but I decided to go ahead and finish up the sconce today as I hate half-finished project laying around Here are some pics:

All the lights are candelabra bases. I drilled two holes in each of the metal supports and screwed them into a wood block. The wood block in turn was screwed to a plastic j-box (the thinnest profile box I could find). Eventually when I get my tiki patio remodel complete this will be mounted directly to a j-box in the wall, but for testing purposes I wired it up with a plugged cord. The mouth light was screwed to the back of the sconce and a notch was cut into the j-box to fit around that base. All the wires were wire-nutted together, pushed into the box and the box was screwed to the back of the sconce.

Closeup...

Back with box in place...

Front view...

Hanging in the garage over the shop bench for now...

Bosko is carving me some columns and an A-frame beam, once those get here the patio remodel can get underway in ernest Until then I'm going to try and do some more wood testing because I have another project to work on- a couple of moai supports to go under a wall-mounted bar countertop. I'll post more pics as I go!

View Profile of TikiTres Send a personal message to TikiTres  Email TikiTres     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamboo stu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-20 7:21 pm   Permalink

Wooh, intense eyes, are they as bright as they look?

BTW, the "tightness" of the grain on the oak is because the face of the board was cut perpendicular to the growth rings. When we woodworkers desire such a grain, we order boards that are "rift" or (for the tightest grain) "quarter" sawn. For less vertical grain, we order "plain sliced", this is what you're seeing on the cedar. Quarter sawn wood produces the most waste in milling, so it always costs a lot more.

You definitely made the right choice of wood, it's very "witco-esque".

Custom Furniture and Cabinets

View Profile of bamboo stu Send a personal message to bamboo stu  Goto the website of bamboo stu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-20 10:48 pm   Permalink

Hey Stu, thanks for the refresher on wood cuts I had to learn all that back when I was in school (for architecture). Hard to get the "good" cuts of wood these days, it doesn't just grow on trees like it used to.... oh wait, never mind Another thing I noticed (too late) is that of the two boards I'm playing with one has significantly harder "standing" grain than the other. Of course the board I cut the sconce from is the less desirable (softer) of the two, Murphy's law in action!

The brightness of the eyes is completely inaccurate, I have a really craptacular camera that takes barely adequate photos in broad daylight and really bad photos in low lighting. They are 4 watt night light bulbs so they just put off a soft glow. I will be replacing my camera any day now because it is also having some electronic issues.

I'm not happy with the finish on the wood on this one, but I wanted to go ahead and put it together to make sure the wiring/ lighting worked as planned. There will be a sconce #2 after I get the wood technique dialed in.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTres 2008-07-20 22:50 ]

TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-20 10:49 pm   Permalink

Oops, double post.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTres 2008-07-20 22:50 ]

TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-29 09:43 am   Permalink

A quick update.... I'm still in the testing stages and have been playing with different techniques on scrap cedar. I discovered that simply brushing the wood by hand (with a nylon brush) after flaming it does a decent job of exposing the hard grain while keeping the soft wood between unscratched. I recently scored that old book that Westenhaver wrote ("Fun and Profitable Chainsaw Carving") and in it he discusses the burning technique... sure enough that's all Witco did was brush the wood off by hand. More pics to follow.

surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-29 3:43 pm   Permalink

Man that is kewl! It looks the heavens shining out of his eyes. Too cool.

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
shampoovta
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-29 6:42 pm   Permalink

Look at this guy, wiring shit up and everything. Killer job.

View Profile of shampoovta Send a personal message to shampoovta  Goto the website of shampoovta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-29 9:14 pm   Permalink

Nice1 the light touch is so cool!

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-30 08:17 am   Permalink

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words Once I get this wood thing figured out I'll do another sconce that will hopefully look a little more true to the Witco style than the one above. Speaking of which, I snapped a quick photo this morning of last weekend's experiment, this is a 4x4 that I butchered with a chain saw (much as I love power tools I feel like a freakin' ape with a chainsaw in my hands). It was then burned and brushed by hand with a nylon brush. Sorry about the drops (it got rained on this morning), this is mainly to show the hand-brushing versus the drill-brushing I was doing previously.

TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-01 10:35 am   Permalink

Truus just emailed me; the columns, beam and trim that Bosko has been carving for my patio remodel are done and on the way! Woohoo! I'll post pics when they arrive.

TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-04 6:53 pm   Permalink

These are the latest in my continuing efforts to try not to ruin too much wood in an attempt to create something moderately painless to look at:

The larger of the two is 22" x 7". I was perusing some photos I've saved to my hard drive from various TC posts and ran across one of a trio of fish that I believe are Witco. They may not be "hardcore tiki", but I liked how they looked (except for the garish paint) and decided they'd be a good next step in my very green carving skills. I did take some artistic liberties with them and added some extra detail because I didn't want to paint the bright colors on them that the Witco versions have. They're not finished yet, I'm leaving them out in the sun a few days to lighten the color and will then either bee wax them or hit them with some matte poly. These were carved from 1x cedar and are therefore single-sided. Next up I'm going to see if I can get some 2x cedar or redwood so I can carve some in the round to suspend free-hanging from the ceiling of the gazebo.

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-04 9:10 pm   Permalink

I like them! good flow and texture in there.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 8:41 pm   Permalink

Thanks Surf! I went to Lowe's today to attempt to order some 2x redwood and cedar, and much to my surprise they had 2x8 cedar in stock so I picked up a couple of 8' lengths and will try some fully carved fish with it. The redwood ain't gonna be that easy though, they didn't even know if they could order it.

On another note, my order of Bosko goodies arrived today! Woohoo! Bosko and Truus were a pleasure to buy from, they gave me a schedule which they met to the day and they did an excellent job on everything! I'm excited to get this patio remodel project underway, all I need is some relief from the 100+ weather we've been getting Here are some pics:

There are two of these columns, both 6" round and 8' tall (that's a tall 7' fence it's leaning against). They are not carved all the way to the top because they will lag bolt behind an existing beam, so there's some overlap.

The columns have 3 stacked tikis, here's a closeup of #1:

#2:

#3:

This is a custom carved 4x beam that Bosko did to my spec's, this will be my A-frame beam with the bird-mouth pointing out. I LOVE how it turned out!!

This trim (2 pieces like this) will be installed over the existing horizontal cedar beam:

And finally this will go in the center of the existing beam under the A frame and will have lights in the eyes:

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation