FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events LA Home Tiki Bar Tour Aug 9th PICS PAGE 3
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
LA Home Tiki Bar Tour Aug 9th PICS PAGE 3
Joe Kona

Posted: 2008-08-09 10:24 am   Permalink

Thank the tiki gods for that tour bus! You're right.....this is better than Christmas, especially since my Christmas' as a kid were freakin' snowbound in the drifts of Chicago. Brrrrrrrrr.......hence my migration to the West! Ahhh, liquid paradise is HOURS away!

Cannot wait to check out the home bars of the generous tiki hosts!

Joe

View Profile of Joe Kona Send a personal message to Joe Kona  Email Joe Kona Goto the website of Joe Kona     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-09 12:36 pm   Permalink

Joe Kona, nice pictures. See you guys in a few hours, this is going to be fun. My first home crawl.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joe Kona

Posted: 2008-08-10 01:56 am   Permalink

All I can say is WOW........what an inspirational and fantastic day! Tiki is definitely alive and kickin' in Los Angeles!

Mahalo to the all the great hosts and everyone who helped for making the tour extra special! It's 2AM, pics of the tour to post tomorrow!

Joe

[ This Message was edited by: Joe Kona 2008-08-10 20:14 ]

View Profile of Joe Kona Send a personal message to Joe Kona  Email Joe Kona Goto the website of Joe Kona     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joe Kona

Posted: 2008-08-10 11:33 am   Permalink

I'm finally up and working on some of the pics from last night....enjoy!

[ This Message was edited by: Joe Kona 2008-08-10 11:35 ]

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-08-10 1:26 pm   Permalink

So, are those pics from one bar or a few bars, and whose was it?

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thedivas

Posted: 2008-08-10 1:44 pm   Permalink

i'm hoping to add a couple of pix from yesterday myself, but in case i don't get to it right away, i just wanted to add my thanks and appreciation to all who were involved in making this happen. all the hosts/hostesses, and particularly Mr. & Mrs. Murph for organizing the whole thing and opening their awesome tiki home, and Mark, Gem and their daughter for opening their wonderful home/bar and preparing all the drinks and food(from scratch)!!! Everyone was totally gracious and it was the perfect way to celebrate International Tiki Day and get me revved up for Tiki Oasis next weekend!

[ This Message was edited by: thedivas 2008-08-26 16:40 ]

View Profile of thedivas Send a personal message to thedivas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joe Kona

Posted: 2008-08-10 1:54 pm   Permalink

Grog,

All pics are from the Waikiki Womb except for the pic of the matches in the decanter. That pic is from Pete's Tiki bar. I'll post more epics, most likely link them to an iWeb photo gallery later. This pic is also from Pete's. BE sure to check out his new book on Havana available at 8 Ball!

Off to the beach to recuperate!

Joe

OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 2:21 pm   Permalink

If that's Pete's bar in the Silverlakish area, thats a great pad. we did the Zombie shoot from Sippin Safari there.
I was sad I could not make it out for this trip, my wife was slated to fly in that evening, then turned out last minute her flight was cancelled, she had to stay another night, and flew in this morning. Will have to join in the next time around. Thanks for posting pictures.

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 6:59 pm   Permalink

Hey OceaOtica, you may be right, if the pic in Tiki Magazine ad for the book is from that shoot... the bar top, wall and shelves look similar... and Pete's Tiki Lounge is in Siverlake/Echo Park. You really should take the next tour!

And WOW! What an AWESOME tour it was!!! Mucho Mahalos to Murph for organizing the event, and Sparklemark and Sparklegem for the incredibly delicious pupus and drinks!

Thanks to all the owners of the tiki bars on the tour for opening your homes to hordes of tikiphiles filing through your domiciles:

(Sparkle)Mark & (Sparkle)Gem Noland: The Bamboo Bar
Darrell Rooney: Darrell's Tiki Bar
Peter Moruzzi & Lauren Le Baron: Pete's Tiki Lounge
Alan Smart & Michael Uhlenkott: The Halekahiki
Kevin (Murph) & Claudia Murphy: The Waikiki Womb

Here's some pix of the event:

Pete's Tiki Lounge:

(without flash)

(with flash)

L to R: Darrell Rooney, Kevin (Murph) Murphy and Peter Moruzzi

Sven (bigbrotiki) Kirsten in his natural habitat

Joe Kona, Carrin (hope I didn't mangle your name!) and Manuel

The Halekahiki:

(without flash)

(also without flash, at least from my camera... I caught someone else's flash, which is why this pic actually came out)

L to R: Michael Uhlenkott & Alan Smart. Note the tiki award for tiki bar participation on the bartop. Murph whipped up these sweet little babies!
Maybe Murph can post a close up?

L to R: Manuel, Peter, Joe Kona

Manuel and me on the tikitourbus!

Joe Kona and his souvenir tour cocomug!

I discovered I'm not very good at low light photograpy, unless you really like looking at blurry squiggles of light! Unfortunately, the pix of the other bars that I took were basically blurry squiggles of light! So far the Bamboo Bar and Darrell's Tiki Bar have not been represented here. I know Joe was snapping away like a madman, so hopefully he'll have some to post soon.

And that Bamboo Bar... that house! When the Sparkles bought it, it came with Witcos already hanging on the walls! WITCOS! Already hanging on the walls!

I highly reccomend to anyone who loves tiki: TAKE THE NEXT TIKI TOUR!

Thanks again Murph!

http://ericoctober.com

[ This Message was edited by: tobunga 2008-08-10 19:03 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tobunga 2008-08-10 19:31 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tobunga 2008-08-20 09:45 ]

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 7:57 pm   Permalink

Tobunga,
Thats the one, Peter was a gracious host for our shoot. Don't know if you saw much of his backyard, but it is gorgeous as well. Will definitely make it for the next one!

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwmn
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-10 9:02 pm   Permalink

Thank you Murph and Claudia for putting this together. What a great job! Thanks to all the Hosts and Hostesses for opening their homes and Tiki Bars to us. Thanks Gem for the food, and Mark for the drinks. The homes and bars were amazing and inspiring. Anyone I forgot to thank, please consider yourselves thanked. Everyone I met and spoke to was great. (I thought about this on the way home, we should have put our T.C. names on our name tags also, easier for me to remember.)It was a resounding success, I'm sure everyone agrees. Can't wait to do it again.

Dar and Pam

(tikiwmn and auntiki)

ps- I will try to post my pics on myspace
http://www.myspace.com/darlenelavettre

[ This Message was edited by: Tikiwmn 2009-04-24 14:47 ]

View Profile of Tikiwmn Send a personal message to Tikiwmn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thedivas

Posted: 2008-08-10 9:06 pm   Permalink

tobunga, i did also want to say how groovy your design is. thanks for the mini-poster and pin! i plan to be sporting it (the pin, not the poster) at TO next weekend.

View Profile of thedivas Send a personal message to thedivas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sparklegem
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-11 07:49 am   Permalink

What incredible home tiki bars, gracious hosts and super fun crawlers!! It was an amazing night!! We had so much fun. I can not believe how cool all the home bars were that we visited (and the houses and landscaping, too!!). Everyone was so interesting and fun. My only regret was that I did not have more time to visit with each person. Thank you so much to everyone for making this event happen. It was the best!

I was wondering if anyone might have pictures of our house. We had wanted to take some pictures but were pretty frantic making those Mai Tais right up until the last second and I will start painting again this week; so things will be a bit ladder-y for a while. If so, please pm me.

Mahalos to all!
Gem

[ This Message was edited by: sparklegem 2008-08-11 07:50 ]

View Profile of sparklegem Send a personal message to sparklegem      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-11 4:23 pm   Permalink

It was YOU guys who were amazing, the whole family, thank you, and Murph, for all your hospitality and yummy food and fine libations! I still have to get some pics from Naomi to do a full post, but I doubt I can sum it up any better than the happy writer on this blog!:

http://www.eatingla.blogspot.com/

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Smokey

Posted: 2008-08-11 7:08 pm   Permalink

Hey Murph and Claudia-

Thank you so much for hosting such a fantastic event! I had a wonderful time. Everyone was so fun and friendly. Thanks also to the Nolands for all of the delicious food and drink. I can't wait until next years tour!

Alan

(My first Tiki Central post- how exciting!)

View Profile of Smokey Send a personal message to Smokey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation