FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tools Stone carvers use
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tools Stone carvers use
kiwishaman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-25 7:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-25 18:31, surfintiki wrote:

Hey Kiwi, I have a typical Dremel. Any clue what size shank that is? I can't find any info that came with it, or from their website. A while back I ordered a burr, and it was too narrow, I had to wrap tape around the base to make it fit.

I think that it is most likely a 3mm shank - you can also get 2.3mm shanks - and i have been caught out a couple of times too - infact - it seems the cheaper versions sometimes have very narrow 3mm shanks at times lol. I am sorry - i dont know what 3mm is in inches. but you should have other fittings for the narrower shanks . . .

i had not thought of wrapping tape around it - ty

KS

View Profile of kiwishaman Send a personal message to kiwishaman  Goto the website of kiwishaman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-25 9:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-25 18:31, surfintiki wrote:

C'mon Tama, a little Youtube action?!

Those you-tube links you added pretty well sum it up: spin those diamond tools, run a dribble of water on them & get to work.. Youll need to add a sheild/s to stop the water spray from totally soaking everything and/or wear a raincoat or towels. As time has gone by Ive discovered the speed of the tool doesnt really matter, just ensure that the water is keeping it well lubed/cooled - if you get dry dust or a glowing tool then you need more water. For handpiece work, allow a trickle to fall directly onto your work and over a sink or similar (or do it outside). For larger carving wheels or 'point-carving' set-up (like the chinese example where larger piece is held against the small 'turbine-wheel' tool, water can be bought to the party via a strip of sponge sitting directly against the wheel).

Hope this helps.

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
T_birdman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-25 10:24 pm   Permalink

Try this for your dremel, it's a twist chuck that fits in both the dremel or the flex shaft, just like chuck in a drill press or hand drill motor. I have one on all my dremels and on a Black & Decker RTX rotary tool, works great and you dont have to worry about changing collets.
http://www.mavin.com/index.php?crn=200&rn=337&action=show_detail

View Profile of T_birdman Send a personal message to T_birdman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sar1
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-25 10:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-25 12:35, JohnnyP wrote:
cheap, cheap, cheap, not the best quality but for 50 bits the price is right. A good starter set to see if you like carving in rock

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=36252

I have a couple of these sets and a couple of the bits are slightly out of round, but most are ok.

Yea, one of my first sets that I purchased and I found the same thing, some are not true but workable. My favorite burr out of the bunch is the inverted cone with the concave center for making circles, eyes and the like. I just wish I could find some more of those type of burrs in a range of different sizes.

View Profile of sar1 Send a personal message to sar1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-26 07:52 am   Permalink

What do you guys think of this thang?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=43533
Kinda cool. but weak motor, small 3" wheels too.

This looks rad
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=35098

[ This Message was edited by: surfintiki 2008-07-26 07:54 ]

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-26 2:23 pm   Permalink

Like anything, you get what you pay for. I'd go for the best brand heavy duty 8" bench grinder you can afford (makita is good) and either get the wheel fitted and balanced by an engineer (best option) or just use the bushes that come with it (cheap option). You can join two of the guards together and trim them down to make a hood over the wheel that you can then attach your water line and sponge to. The free end can have a chuck attached for sanding drums or diamond points, or another grade or type of wheel. Cut down buckets make good cowlings for the wheels too, as the bottoms can be screwed straight onto the side of the grinder (there are usually three screws for attaching the guards per side that go into the cast body of the grinder).

Same with the handpiece - flexshafts are OK, but they really mess with your hand and generally don't perform well at high RPM. I did use the heavy duty dremel for a couple of years, but when I switched to a micromotor the difference was incredible. Foredom flexshafts are probably the best if you do use one.
Set up a block of wood or similar in the middle of sink with a cowling over it (there are pics of mine and Tama's setups floating around here somewhere) and something on the edge of your bench to cushion your arms. Poke a thin hose through the cowling to drip onto the work area and you're away (I prefer to attach this hose to the handpiece so I can ensure it it always directed on to the cutting surface of the tool.)

Spend the extra on good burrs - it makes more difference than you think and will save hours of needless cleanup. Those lasco burrs are highly recommended on another carving forum I frequent. When you buy those cheap sets, you end up with 75% of them that will never be of any use - I still have dozens that I got when starting out and I'll never touch them! Cheap burrs often won't fit the collets on higher quality handpieces too...

Stone here:

Jewelry & Watches > Loose Diamonds & Gemstones > Gemstones > Jade >

and here:

Rocks, Fossils, Minerals > Lapidary Materials > Rough for Cabbing > Search Results for 'jade'

Just use the search term 'jade rough' (or even 'nephrite jade rough') and you'll see there's plenty of good stone around at great prices. Some of the mining companies in BC have sites where you can order rough too. You guys have got it way better than us in terms of being able to get plenty of good material online - competition is fierce here and the prices are ridiculous.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-26 3:09 pm   Permalink

My God Paipo! That is serious information! Thanks! It'll take me a couple times reading it to figure out.
One thing I've been looking for, is the chuck, that goes on the bench grinder. Are these things home depot would have? I couldn't find it anywhere online, maybe I'm calling it something wrong.
I love this guys setup, and want to try to match this...
(I think I'm gonna start doing bone first, before trying stone.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TflQao9Qepk&feature=related

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-27 04:02 am   Permalink

Wow! Who would have thought watching other carvers would be so interesting?

I just want to point out that 'Louie the fish' is setting a poor example in not using ear or breathing protection whilst doing his bonework. His studio does seem semi-ventilated but you can be sure he's breathing in a heap of fine bonedust (another consideration with bone is the smell..) Better to start with good woodshop practices right from the start Surfintiki!

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-27 07:31 am   Permalink

Ahhhhh for cripes sake! I need MORE stuff?! Ear plugs? ok, how bad is bone dust?

Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-27 2:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-27 07:31, surfintiki wrote:
Ahhhhh for cripes sake! I need MORE stuff?! Ear plugs? ok, how bad is bone dust?

A workshop never has enough tools or equipment; building them up is all part of the fun (look at BenZ)!

*The earmuffs are to save your ears from the noise of machines (but will keep dust out of them too).. Breathing mask a must!

kiwishaman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-28 9:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-27 04:02, Tamapoutini wrote:
Wow! Who would have thought watching other carvers would be so interesting?

I agree Tama - that was interesting. A few aha moments -like - aha aha aha - lol.
And it looked like he was working outside under a tarp!

Thought about putting some old sails up over my bench - maybe it is time. . .

KS

View Profile of kiwishaman Send a personal message to kiwishaman  Goto the website of kiwishaman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kiwishaman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-29 5:07 pm   Permalink

Okay - I have a question for the more experienced carvers . . . .

Where can I get information about design elements in tiki carving? Is there an excellent book I could purchase?

input appreciated.

KS

surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-29 5:08 pm   Permalink

Hey folks, just wanna thank you for handing off some of your superior knowledge down. Just gotta say, it's pretty cool I can talk to people on the other side of the earth here...not to mention some of the biggest talents around.
Aloha, and Aroha!

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-29 9:18 pm   Permalink

STONER!!!!

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sar1
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-03 12:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-26 07:52, surfintiki wrote:
What do you guys think of this thang?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=43533
Kinda cool. but weak motor, small 3" wheels too.
[ This Message was edited by: surfintiki 2008-07-26 07:54 ]

Hey, does this look familiar
http://www.contenti.com/products/polishing/310-009.html and just look at the price difference. I like Contenti but it just goes to show you have got to shop around.

View Profile of sar1 Send a personal message to sar1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation