FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Mystery Photo 1959 Tiki Bar
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Mystery Photo 1959 Tiki Bar
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-17 10:05 am   Permalink

"The alcoves displaying jewelry. Why would a bar display jewelry?'
-DJ Terence Gunn-

Because they sold jewelry?

In his review of Portland Oregon's Aloha Room in his 1957 book Be My Guest In The Pacific Northwest Bill Spiedel. Jr. wrote:

"I do not wish to create the impression that the (Aloha Room) is laden with bric-a-brac from the South Seas. What might be thought of as souvenir items are found across the hall in the Lanai Room- a combination gift shop and cocktail lounge."

(The full entry on the Aloha Room is
HERE.)

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-17 11:30 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2008-08-17 10:05, woofmutt wrote:
"The alcoves displaying jewelry. Why would a bar display jewelry?'
-DJ Terence Gunn-

Because they sold jewelry?

In his review of Portland Oregon's Aloha Room in his 1957 book Be My Guest In The Pacific Northwest Bill Spiedel. Jr. wrote:

"I do not wish to create the impression that the (Aloha Room) is laden with bric-a-brac from the South Seas. What might be thought of as souvenir items are found across the hall in the Lanai Room- a combination gift shop and cocktail lounge."
[/guote]

Doubtful. By presenting such an example, what you aren't taking into consideration, woofmutt, (if it is even a tiki tavern at all, which hasn't been proven or disproven yet) is the size of this mystery place and the location which it is in. Having a souvenier shop across the hall in a nice spacious hotel with a restaurant and cocktail lounge is one thing; having it in some little tavern is another.

If this place is a tiki tavern and they did sell some kind of jewelry, they'd be mere trinkets and sold behind the bar, most likely, and hardly worthy of window displays.

View Profile of DJ Terence Gunn Send a personal message to DJ Terence Gunn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-17 11:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-17 05:01, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
..and it was never a question of it being painted or not....we are all in agreement there....the question was in regards to it being painted on a wooden facade or glass..personally i said wood because painted window glass is a liability for any business.(plus, they would have had to cut the glass around the chinese tiles at the bottom...what business would bother with that??).....suppose someone leans against it thinking it's solid or some dope tries to post a bill by stapling it to the glass.(yes people are that stupid sometimes).....i suppose some einstein here will explain that the moulding around the little windows is painted on and not actual molding, which is what it is-three dimensional moulding framing the little window...

I agree, too, that the mural was painted, and painted on wood. When I suggested the mural being some kind of fabric I would imply a glass facade with the mural attached from the inside. I don't really believe it was, but wanted to throw it out there as a possibility. However, the tiles (actually they're more decorative grates than tiles) certainly wouldn't have been installed in glass. An oversight on my part. My apologies.

I recall somebody earlier in this thread saying the little windows (display, alcove, or otherwise) were (or may have been) painted on, and I also disagree with that. The mouldings and tiles were not painted on and over, but around.

[ This Message was edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2008-08-17 11:57 ]

View Profile of DJ Terence Gunn Send a personal message to DJ Terence Gunn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-17 1:06 pm   Permalink

"...What you aren't taking into consideration...Is the size of this mystery place and the location which it is in. Having a souvenier shop across the hall in a nice spacious hotel with a restaurant and cocktail lounge is one thing; having it in some little tavern is another."

What I was taking into consideration was an answer to your question:

"Why would a bar display jewelry?"

It was proposed earlier that this could be the lounge/bar entrance to a larger establishment.

Though I don't think it's a part of the actual answer I like the notion of a bar/lounge that sold nice trinkets to be brought home to the wife. "Ah c'mon baby! Look...I wasn't out drinking, I was jewelry shopping!"

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-17 6:14 pm   Permalink

The current business of the mystery place is Vy's Jewelry, according to the following.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=544+Grant+avenue+san+francisco&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=title

The green door's still there, too. Now before all the Einstein's and Sherlock Holmes' out there correct me, I know the address is incorrect (it should -- actually, should it? -- be 542 -- the address of the mystery place), and that Vy's Jewelry should be in the boutique (the boutique at 544 in the mystery photo), but compare it with the photo. Vy's looks like it could very easily be the mystery place! Once again, the green door and even some green paint on parts of the exterior are still there.

Whether there was food served there or not, the area to the right of the mystery place is
a separate building altogether -- hence no expansion, no torn down wall. The boutique in the mystery photo is also in a separate building. Basically speaking, the mystery bar or whatever it is, is the sole business on this side of the building, below apartments above.

Aren't there any TC'ers in San Francisco who can take a trip over there, go inside, talk to the owners and maybe find some information about the previous businesses that occupied the location? Bloody hell, if I lived in SF I'd have done it as soon as we found out the city and street location! If so, bring in a copy of the mystery photo, too. I'm sure the owners and employees -- assuming they aren't one in the same -- would find the photo most amusing.

[ This Message was edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2008-08-18 12:28 ]

DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-17 6:24 pm   Permalink

It should also be noted that the address of the store to the right of the current 544 Grant Avenue business is 540 Grant Avenue, and there is no shop inbetween the two. The shop to the left of the current 544 Grant Avenue location is 550, with no shop inbetween. The interesting thing, though, is that all three locations have a similar door off to the left of each business. One thing is definitely for sure, the facades have been completely redone. In any case, if this isn't proof of address rezoning, I don't know what is.

[ This Message was edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2008-08-17 19:51 ]

sputnikmoss
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-17 6:26 pm   Permalink

Wow! I just got home from Tiki Oasis and you guys have added another 4 pages of info! Sheesh..I thought I would just take a quick peek! I will have to review this all tomorrow. Nice job everyone!

View Profile of sputnikmoss Send a personal message to sputnikmoss  Email sputnikmoss Goto the website of sputnikmoss     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-17 9:25 pm   Permalink

i'm not convinced....the yellow door building is our mark from the vintage photo...look at the trim above the door...it has the same three half round strips as the one in the photo....plus, architectural details/ motifs remain consistant in buildings as they are being built......they don't arbitrarily "mix em' up"....the brick detail on the roof line of the place with the yellow door is identical to the brickwork in the photo... ....vy's jewelry does not match the building in the slide.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-18 02:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-17 21:25, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

i'm not convinced....the yellow door building is our mark from the vintage photo...look at the trim above the door...it has the same three half round strips as the one in the photo....plus, architectural details/ motifs remain consistant in buildings as they are being built......they don't arbitrarily "mix em' up"....the brick detail on the roof line of the place with the yellow door is identical to the brickwork in the photo... ....vy's jewelry does not match the building in the slide.

Excellent observations, Tipsy! The door part I don't agree with yet, as the door in the current photo of Vy's Jewelry cannot be fully seen at the top (and it's only a side view anyway). They may be identical. However, the brick motif above the front is uniqe to the three buildings. If one pans upwards on the google street cam (what a wonder that is!) one can see this motif on the upper part of the building. Bravo, Tipsy! However, I'm not completely convinced that this is, in fact, the mystery location. It may be, of course; but as any possible brick motif (namely, the one shown in the mystery photo) is hidden by an awning at Ry's Jewelry, there's no telling that the same motif isn't there -- even if the motif is there and wasn't extended to the upper part of the building. More than likely there isn't such a motif there. But without somebody actually going and taking a look under the awning, we'll never know.

If the current photo (if it is the same building that the mystery place is located in) is 550 Grant Avenue, and the mystery photo indicates an adjacent business at 544, then there was rezoning. But more importantly, there is an anomoly in numbering along Grant Avenue -- then and now. The fact that 'The Place' was located at 546 Grant Avenue in the 1950s, and that there is no 546 Grant Avenue currently, proves rezoning/numbering. Still, this is the general area, and the numbers are somewhat logically close enough -- though 550 and 544 are numbers apart.

However, if there was rezoning, the mystery location may not be at the current 550 Grant location at all (despite any similarities), and either further up the street or further down. A lot of these store fronts had/have similar facades (though not always similar brick motifs -- especially the one indicated above), and with the proverbial door to the left (as one looks at the store).

Anyway, I'm going to bow out of this thread now, as I'm getting too obsessed with it. (I love a mystery and I love a challenge and I am prone to indulgence!) I've made some input and observations on this thread, hopefully some helpful and insightful, and I will continue to follow the thread as an interested observer.

May the mystery be solved soon! Sorry to say this, but I'm going to laugh my ass off if the mystery location turns out to be in a different Chinatown in a different city altogether! I'm hoping it won't be, though, as we've gone so far to get this far.

-T.G.

Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-18 04:53 am   Permalink

..i agree....until someone actually goes there and investigates the issues we all proposed in this thread in order to finally put this part of the mystery to rest, we are just spinning are wheels on this...

..i'm out too, until further info comes to light on this....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pacifilantic

Posted: 2008-08-18 05:40 am   Permalink

Perhaps it is possible that each individual door was assigned its own street number in those days. If so, then the numbers might make a little more sense. 540 and 542 would be the two doors of the building that is 540 today (Lisa's Jewelry). 544 and 546 would be the two doors of today's Vy's Jewelry building. And 548 and 550 would be today's LT Jewelry, now known as 550.

[ This Message was edited by: Pacifilantic 2008-08-18 13:01 ]

View Profile of Pacifilantic Send a personal message to Pacifilantic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-18 07:43 am   Permalink

..you may be right...perhaps one address was for the business on the ground floor and one for the apartments above in each building.

in some plaCES these days they use 1/2 -for example, a business will be 544 and the apartment above will be 544 1/2....

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-08-18 07:44 ]

woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-18 08:54 am   Permalink

"i'll be in SF on Aug 25, and i'll recon for us...i'll get pix..." -dogbytes-

Besides this photo:

For comparison purposes could you please also approximatae these pictures:

So we need shots of...

•You at the Mystery Location
•You on a bench
•You lying on a tropical beach
•You in front of a chalet style restaurant
•You in a sombrero on a donkey that's hitched to a wagon

And why the hell not...How about one of you and a man being friendly on a couch?

If time is short I think I speak for everyone when I suggest that other than the Mystery Location picture the photo we'd all find most useful would be the one of you wearing a sombrero and riding a donkey.

Thanks!

beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-18 11:29 am   Permalink

I am only going to weigh in on the address thing. Here in Seattle there can be two sets of addresses for one building - a PUD address which is the original plot address being serviced, and the business/apartment address, which comes later and is more specific. For instance: you originally have one business on one plot of land being serviced by PUD, then later, you either break up or add more places to the one plot and the address then becomes an amalgam of numbers (beginning: 1212 Boogie Woogie Avenue - after remodel or additions: 1212-14 Boogie Woogie Avenue - combined it can become 1214 provided there is not another building on that street with that number already.) Just a thought.

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tornhalo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-18 1:58 pm   Permalink

I want to live on Boogie Woogie Avenue.

View Profile of Tornhalo Send a personal message to Tornhalo  Goto the website of Tornhalo ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation