FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Mystery Photo 1959 Tiki Bar
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Mystery Photo 1959 Tiki Bar
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-18 3:03 pm   Permalink

well in google you can go to street view:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=544+Grant+avenue+san+francisco&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=title

orginal

down the street

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-18 4:54 pm   Permalink

my parents are all over this! here's a reply from Uncle Walt (who was a liquor distributor, i know he has cool swag...)

John,
This used to be a Bar on the right was Shanghai Low Restaurant. I don't remember the name of the Bar but it is definitely on Grant Ave between Pine and California Streets. Ray Low would know the name of the place but he died 6 years or so. I knew the people that bought the place and eventually moved across the street. They renamed it Orient West Cocktail Lounge.
Walt

i'm bringing dad along cuz he speaks cantonese and can get better info .. i'll post when i get info.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-18 5:07 pm   Permalink

Edit: Oops, new post appeared while I was typing, that made mine moot. I was speculating that it may have been a jewelry or clothing store, and they had the mural done to tap into the general excitement of what was happening that year... Hawaiian statehood. But it looks like it was a little cocktail place! Thanks, Dogbytes!
I agree that the doors on the left open to stairways, to go to the apartment or lease space above the shops. I wonder if The Place was on the ground floor, or if it was upstairs, in the space over one of these shops.

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2008-08-18 17:15 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-18 5:22 pm   Permalink

From the movie "The Lady From Shanghai"

Postcard

Founder

Menu cover

Inside menu

Drink Menu

History of the area on the bottom of the page. But look at the entire site, it's great. The info on the drink menus is fantastic.

http://grantavenuefollies.com/

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Shaker 2008-08-18 17:48 ]

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-18 5:47 pm   Permalink

and this was on flicker...

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-18 11:10 pm   Permalink

From San Francisco Film Society site, near bottom of this page:
"You can’t go to Shanghai Low at 532 Grant Street anymore (seen in THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI), but you can have lunch at the no doubt tamer Lotus Garden Restaurant at the same address."

The Lotus Garden is immediately to the right of the yellow-signed Lisa Jewelry Co.:

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 12:03 am   Permalink

Oops, that pic from The Lady From Shanghai was already posted above.

Well, I still wanna see Dogbytes in a sombrero. On a donkey.

[ This Message was edited by: woofmutt 2008-08-19 00:06 ]

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 08:54 am   Permalink

looks about right - note the tower and clock area

also from flickr

[ This Message was edited by: sneakyjack 2008-08-19 10:12 ]

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 12:27 pm   Permalink

I think the mystery location is solved. Now all we need to figure out is what the storefront was. Maybe someone can research that exact address and see what (DBA)'s have come and gone out of that location? Someone who might have access to the SF library. Good job to all, and what a great thread!

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 1:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-19 12:27, Tom Slick wrote:
I think the mystery location is solved.

I agree.

Okay, I said I was going to bow out, but with this newly found information, I'm rejuvinated! Another indication that Lisa's Jewelry is the location (and not the adjacent businesses -- one of which I suggested previously it may be) is the position of 'the door on the left' in relation to the sidewalk. The door and doorway to the left of Vy's Jewelry is sunken and further in from the sidewalk, which differs from the door at Lisa's Jewelry and the mystery tiki bar -- both of which are identical in position.

When I get my 'Tiki Detectives' show contract together for an on air broadcast, I'm definitely hiring AlienTiki (the one who first suggested the Grant Avenue location), Tipsy McStagger (for his attention to detail), and Elecia's Uncle Walt (for his age, experience, and swag). And if 'Tiki Detectives' ever becomes an off-Broadway comedy, I'm hiring woofmutt to script it.

Unless somebody in the San Francisco area can take a trip to the appropriate library or other institution housing records of businesses in the Chinatown area in the 1950s (would such records be accessible on the internet? at a SF government site, perhaps?), it would seem our reliance is currently on Elecia's family and Elecia's coming-up trip to SF.

[ This Message was edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2008-08-19 13:29 ]

View Profile of DJ Terence Gunn Send a personal message to DJ Terence Gunn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 3:37 pm   Permalink

I won't write one word unless there is a scene with Dogbytes in a sombrero on a donkey hitched to a cart.

Guarantee me that and I'll work for scale.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-20 10:44 am   Permalink

just for kicks i looked up shanghai low on ebay and found a number of cool vintage postcards up for auction, including one from 1910 where the address was 532 grant ave....i wonder how many address changes this place has been through???

..there is also one from the 30's which features an older version of the marquee with chinese dragons on top of it and lanterns on the 2 front corners....very cool lookin..

anyway, i know that we solved this part of the mystery, but thought those of you that participated in this thread might like to view these postcards on ebay as a sort of footnote to this quest....just type in shanghai low in the search box on ebay and enjoy!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-24 1:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-19 15:37, woofmutt wrote:
I won't write one word unless there is a scene with Dogbytes in a sombrero on a donkey hitched to a cart.

Guarantee me that and I'll work for scale.

Would you settle for twitch riding a barstool donning a lampshade & eating a burrito?

Dammit - a couple two floors up just got married and had their honeymoon in SF; if it wasn't for my slow wits I would've asked them to have a look around the area...

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-24 3:59 pm   Permalink

All along I was wondering about the less realistic, more two-dimensional "Temple" painting style of the scenes depicted on the exterior:

When reading this postcard's text:

... and regarding the murals behind Mr. Low,

...it seems possible that the same artist(s) that did the Shanghai Low murals were engaged to decorate our jewelry store's exterior. Though not Chinese, the motifs seem more Balinese than Polynesian in style. Perhaps inspired by Covarrubias' Bali Book?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-24 8:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-15 18:01, Paipo wrote:
The mural is in the style of Eugene Savage - his stuff was pretty widely copied back then. If it's a Hawaiian themed jewelry store, I'm guessing it's a Ming's...

"At one time, Ming's had shops in San Francisco, Denver, Dallas, Houston, Ft. Lauderdale, New York and Miami, and two in Atlanta. There also were four in Waikiki, and shops at Ala Moana Center, downtown and in Hilo.

But Ming's began closing the mainland shops in the 1960s through the 1980s."

My comment probably got lost in the flurry of replies, but the mural is obviously based on the Matson line menu covers. I actually thought someone else would've noticed it much sooner, but it was never mentioned.
Here's the girl behind our protagonist (except she's by Frank Macintosh, another of the Matson menu cover artists, not Eugene Savage):

some of Eugene Savage's Hawaiian feast scenes:

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation