FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Mystery Photo 1959 Tiki Bar
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Mystery Photo 1959 Tiki Bar
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-29 6:24 pm   Permalink

"To do list"!! You'll do it NOW!

or at your earliest convenience.

I guess.

Thanks.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-29 6:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-29 18:20, dogbytes wrote:
Chen's is still on Elliott.. i've passed by many times. but havent stopped in ~ i'll put that on my "to do list".. but it looks nothing like the pic posted.

..none of them ever do.....ya gotta get inside it...all the decor is probably long gone and remodeled in some chinese theme..but it's the history we're after..they may have an old timer on staff with stories or even better - pictures, postcards, a menu - who knows....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes

Posted: 2008-07-29 6:34 pm   Permalink

this chen's is a stand alone building, and has never been part of a downtown type area..

im renaming you BossyOris. heh.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-29 6:44 pm   Permalink

oh.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-29 6:51 pm   Permalink

..the plot thickens....shit!!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sputnikmoss
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-29 7:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-29 18:51, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

..the plot thickens....shit!!!

I know! It looks like that is a poster advertising a floor show or something on the right of him. So it must be larger than an old man dive bar.

Doesn't the dude look like Dan Hadeya??

[ This Message was edited by: sputnikmoss 2008-07-29 19:31 ]

View Profile of sputnikmoss Send a personal message to sputnikmoss  Email sputnikmoss Goto the website of sputnikmoss     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes

Posted: 2008-07-29 7:25 pm   Permalink

this is it:

but i'll go check it out anyways.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-29 9:18 pm   Permalink

Ive always thought that this Chens was a former tiki type establishment. But everytime I bring it up I get poo pooed! I wanna know. as far as the original photo if it is in Seattle Im guessing that the location may be Pioneer square area

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes

Posted: 2008-07-29 9:36 pm   Permalink

lets get a poo-pooh platter. honest to god, if its not raining, im headed over and then walking at the sculpture garden. wanna go, dawn?

Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-29 9:52 pm   Permalink

um yea. I wanna walk AT the sculptures after getting poo pood

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-30 07:57 am   Permalink

Well, I'VE been in there and it's NOT Tiki - it's a crappy run-down Chinese restaurant with greasy carpets and even greasier food! I would propose that the buidling in the original picture is somewhere in Occidental Park or Pioneer Square - if it's even in the Seattle area. Tacoma would look like that too.

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-30 07:59 am   Permalink

You know, it looks like that area in Belltown where the Roq la Rue gallery is - not there exactly but around that area. The building and slant of sidewalk look familiar. There's a bar down the street from there that is Tiki-themed - looks like a hangout for the tougher crowd though.

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-30 09:32 am   Permalink

So far it is only a theory that the photo of the Unknown Bar was taken in Seattle.

Tipsy McStagger said he was "Almost positive it's the Bamboo Room in Seattle." based on his memory of a photo of that property. But when later reviewing the photo he said "Now that I see it I may be wrong."

Swanky who re-posted the Bamboo Room photo said "Sign is at the right height and place...But the front of this building doesn't quite look right."

I agree the building front doesn't look like a match. I also think the sign style isn't a match either.

BoraBorris did a Tiki Central search for 544, but 544 as seen in the photo is on the awning of the building next door. The Unknown Bar would probably be a 542 or 546 if it had its own street address. The Unknown Bar may be attached to a restaurant with a completely different address.

The quote that sputnikmoss posted from the original thread on
Lotta Living said "This was probably in the Los Angeles area. I had other slides with this man in the same clothes at Disneyland."

The only hard evidence connected directly to the photo of the Unknown Bar is other slides of the same man in the same clothes at Disneyland.

The Chinese elements on the 544 building is probably the strongest evidence for placing the Unknown Bar in a China Town somewhere. The 544] address in the picture and the street grade gives one more to work with if you know your local China Town.

The photo does look like Seattle's China Town/Pioneer Square/Belltown area but those are all older areas of the city and as such look similar in design and construction to most American cities from that period. (Though a 544 address could be found in Seattle's China Town.)

Other than the Unknown Bar I was happy to see this:

I've driven by Chen's literally thousands of times* and must have gotten the same vibes as Sophista-Tiki because I always thought the place would be a great candidate for a Tiki face lift. I never made the address connection with the Tiki Hut.

Chen's village doesn't have any signs of former greatness inside. It looks like a heavy remodel hit it in the late 70s/early 80s. Chen's Village is popular with people in the Magnolia/Queen Anne/Interbay (it's actual neighborhood) area, but I've never had anyone get all that excited in their comments about the food.

*I used to pass it 20 times a day for almost 2 years...So I use "literally" literally.

[ This Message was edited by: woofmutt 2008-07-30 09:39 ]

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Naneki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-30 10:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-29 18:05, Bora Boris wrote:
I did a search of "544" here on Tiki Central and came up with this Woofmutt thread ~
Tiki Past: Seattle, Wash

Which features this -

The 544 address is next door. Notice that it is on the awning for the "dress shop". The address for the bar might be 542 or 546.

View Profile of Naneki Send a personal message to Naneki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-30 10:53 am   Permalink

Thanks Woofmutt, well get if figured out but I insist that Dogbytes still has to go to Chens.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation