FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ General Tiki Ľ Ľ Mystery Photo 1959 Tiki Bar
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 )
Mystery Photo 1959 Tiki Bar
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-26 11:18 pm   Permalink

the address is 540 Grant Ave. i took pictures outside the building, and the crack in the cement is still there, and although the building has undergone much rennovation, there are a few pieces of brickwork that remain (to match to the photo).

STILL NO CONFIRMATION of the business itself. Uncle Fred doesnt remember, so i've emailed the picture to other aunts and uncles. and passed the photo around at the family events.

see the Tiki Bob thread in "Locating" for other tidbits of info on that location.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-03 1:23 pm   Permalink

I should mention that aways back on this thread I prompted the resolution/notion that this mystery bar was The Place, 546 Grant Avenue, the famed beatnick hangout in the 1940s and '50s. When it was mentioned The Place would've (according to directional addresses along Grant Avenue) been located to the left (as one looks at the photo) of the store next to the mystery location, I cursed, then sighed, but was pleased that I learned about an iconic location in the same vaccinity.

However, there is conflicting information about The Place's actual address. (This is the problem with the internet and, indeed, any kind of publicised writing, written and/or recollected by those who don't have their facts straight.) Many articles, etc. say the location is at 546 Grant Avenue, whilst others say it was at 1546 Grant Avenue. Having done a little more research, the 1546 Grant Avenue address makes more sense. (I believe today The Place is a design shop.) Still, I rather like the idea of this mystery tiki bar or whatever it was being inbetween The Place and Shanghai Low. That's quite a collection of fascinating places all on one block on the same side of the street!

In any case, is nobody else going to attempt to dig anything more up on this mystery place? I was really excited about the mystery being solved.

View Profile of DJ Terence Gunn Send a personal message to DJ Terence Gunn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-09-04 7:00 pm   Permalink

Maybe if we could throw it up into the mainstream press or get it up on MSN or something we could get an answer. Need a bigger audience for the thing.

Hey db - any chance for those pictures being put up?

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-09-04 7:25 pm   Permalink

(double post dammit)

[ This Message was edited by: twitch 2008-09-04 19:26 ]

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-09-04 7:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-26 23:18, dogbytes wrote:
the address is 540 Grant Ave. i took pictures outside the building, and the crack in the cement is still there, and although the building has undergone much rennovation, there are a few pieces of brickwork that remain (to match to the photo).

the door and transom match the mystery photo. crack in the cement matches. metal in brickwork matches.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-04 10:10 pm   Permalink

(So we can compare pic to pic easier.)

(Oh, and of course to find somethin' to critique her about, for those of you into that.)

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-09-04 10:52 pm   Permalink

You call that a comparison?

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-09-05 05:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-09-04 22:52, Bora Boris wrote:

...and his ghost haunts the location to this very day...

Pacifilantic

Posted: 2008-09-05 08:57 am   Permalink

Tiki Shaker referenced this website on a prior page of this thread:

http://grantavenuefollies.com/

The folks involved in the "Grant Avenue Follies" look like they would be a great source of information, especially perhaps Mr. Chuck Gee:

"Costume designer for the Forbidden City, Gomanís Gay Nineties and Annís Four Forty Club in the '50s. Chuck is the Follies' only male dancer and he loves dancing for health and well-being. He is the groupís Chinatown historian and actively leads tours of Chinatown."

[ This Message was edited by: Pacifilantic 2008-09-05 08:58 ]

View Profile of Pacifilantic Send a personal message to Pacifilantic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation