FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Mystery Photo 1959 Tiki Bar
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Mystery Photo 1959 Tiki Bar
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-07-30 10:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-30 10:52, Naneki wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-07-29 18:05, Bora Boris wrote:
I did a search of "544" here on Tiki Central and came up with this Woofmutt thread ~
Tiki Past: Seattle, Wash

Which features this -

The 544 address is next door. Notice that it is on the awning for the "dress shop". The address for the bar might be 542 or 546.

Oh thanks, we already knew that but were hoping it still might be a part of the same place.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sputnikmoss
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-30 11:26 am   Permalink

Ok..I think we should focus on California. I found more slides of him on Ebay.

No date on this one other than 1959 in photo

no date..in front of a mall O'connor& Goldberg is a shoe store

this one is stamped July 1959

View Profile of sputnikmoss Send a personal message to sputnikmoss  Email sputnikmoss Goto the website of sputnikmoss     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-30 12:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-30 10:53, Bora Boris wrote:
Thanks Woofmutt, well get if figured out but I insist that Dogbytes still has to go to Chens.

what? you're not the boss of me!

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-07-30 3:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-30 12:01, dogbytes wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-07-30 10:53, Bora Boris wrote:
Thanks Woofmutt, well get if figured out but I insist that Dogbytes still has to go to Chens.

what? you're not the boss of me!

Yes I am and you're about to get fired!

[ This Message was edited by: Bora Boris 2008-07-30 15:18 ]

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-30 3:50 pm   Permalink

Boy, that guy sure got around! Looks like a bachelor (actually, he looks like Walter Matheau (sp?) in the one of him on the park bench (did you catch those snazzy socks w/his sandals? Could be the originator of that NW "style"!) With that picture in front of the "Swiss Chalet" he might have been in Leavenworth WA too.

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-30 3:58 pm   Permalink

maybe he was a traveling salesman

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sputnikmoss
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-30 6:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-30 15:50, beadtiki wrote:
Boy, that guy sure got around! Looks like a bachelor (actually, he looks like Walter Matheau (sp?) in the one of him on the park bench (did you catch those snazzy socks w/his sandals? Could be the originator of that NW "style"!) With that picture in front of the "Swiss Chalet" he might have been in Leavenworth WA too.

I think perhaps a "confirmed bachelor". Found some more..

stamped July 1959

November 1959..that has to be Florida..look at the Streamline Moderne buildings in the background

Ok now he is taking the picture..it's his friend from the couch and the other dude wearing the sombrero in Tijuana

[ This Message was edited by: sputnikmoss 2008-07-30 18:51 ]

View Profile of sputnikmoss Send a personal message to sputnikmoss  Email sputnikmoss Goto the website of sputnikmoss     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-07-30 6:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-30 18:45, sputnikmoss wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-07-30 15:50, beadtiki wrote:

I think perhaps a "confirmed bachelor". Found some more..

stamped July 1959

"confirmed bachelor" is right even Santa Claus has to look away.

dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-30 9:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-30 15:18, Bora Boris wrote:

Yes I am and you're about to get fired!

you cant fire me, i quit. or something. anyways. stopped into Chens and its not as groady as Woof has stated, but there is absolutely nothing architecturally charming about the place. a fishtank of carp (pet peeve of mine: koi should be viewed from above, not the sides).. and.. no decor at all. vinyl chairs and chrome & black tabletops. meh.

here's an exterior shot, just to prove that BossyBoris can push me around from far away.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-30 10:58 pm   Permalink

"...stopped into Chens and its not as groady as Woof has stated..." -dogbytes-

I have come to accept that many of my posts seem to get zapped with a WOOFMUTT-A-MATIC INVIS-O-RAY which renders them utterly invisible to the average eye but I refuse to have comments attributed to me which I did not make. Yes, I said REFUSE!

My comments on Chen's Village (posted in bold to hopefully counteract any zaps from the WOOFMUTT-A-MATIC INVIS-O-RAY)

Chen's village doesn't have any signs of former greatness inside. It looks like a heavy remodel hit it in the late 70s/early 80s. Chen's Village is popular with people in the Magnolia/Queen Anne/Interbay (it's actual neighborhood) area, but I've never had anyone get all that excited in their comments about the food.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tahitiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-07-31 05:56 am   Permalink

Any we can see a bigger version of the image. It looks like LA to me. Maybe Wilshire or 3rd or beverly

View Profile of Tahitiki Send a personal message to Tahitiki  Email Tahitiki Goto the website of Tahitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MsSwanky
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-31 7:55 pm   Permalink

So, I decided to email the Ebay seller, see if just maybe they knew anything about the men in the photos. I asked if they could tell me where the slides came from and specifically, did they know anything about the building in question. I got this response tonight:

Quote:
"I wish I did know more about this man. These were purchased at an estate sale in Fort Worth,Texas at the first of this year. There were probably 150 slides of this man in Europe,Disneyland,1964-65 NY Worlds Fair,Wisconsin and at numerous other unknown locations. All of the slide cases were marked 'Otti'"

Don't ask me why I have a strange obession with this... Otti?

View Profile of MsSwanky Send a personal message to MsSwanky      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-31 9:14 pm   Permalink

I googled otti..

.it's the "Office of Tourism and Travel Industries".....maybe that can lead us somewhere

this guy may have worked for them..which explains all the slides of various destinations...

check this out:

http://tinet.ita.doc.gov/

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-07-31 21:16 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-31 11:48 pm   Permalink

" I googled otti...it's the "Office of Tourism and Travel Industries"..." -Tipsy McStagger-

It looks like OTTI may have been established in

More internet searching: Otti is an Icelandic variation on Otto.

[ This Message was edited by: woofmutt 2008-08-01 00:14 ]

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-01 12:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

Don't ask me why I have a strange obession with this... Otti?

plural of Otto.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation