FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Mystery Photo 1959 Tiki Bar
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Mystery Photo 1959 Tiki Bar
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-01 04:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-31 23:48, woofmutt wrote:
" I googled otti...it's the "Office of Tourism and Travel Industries"..." -Tipsy McStagger-

It looks like OTTI may have been established in 1996

More internet searching: Otti is an Icelandic variation on Otto.

[ This Message was edited by: woofmutt 2008-08-01 00:14 ]

..oh well.......perhaps otti is a distant cousin to yeti????

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-08-01 04:55 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-01 05:50 am   Permalink

I love this thread

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-04 9:41 pm   Permalink

I thought that it might have been The Tropics in Hollywood on Vine at Sunset since it was on the same side of the street as Ah Fong's but I'm not sure if they were there at the same time plus the addresses on that block are in the 1500s and too high to match the numbers in the picture. Also the sign is different and doesn't hang over the sidewalk enough but it's still a cool picture.

This thread is too much fun to just let it die.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-04 9:50 pm   Permalink

Here's another one. I'm way off I think the Tropics at that location was long gone before 1958.

Unless that picture was taken during Old Timey Car Night.

Now let's get back to this guy.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrkCat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-04 10:43 pm   Permalink

Is that a spear of some sort stuck in the sidewalk? Maybe San Diego??

[ This Message was edited by: MrkCat 2008-08-04 22:44 ]

View Profile of MrkCat Send a personal message to MrkCat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MsSwanky
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-05 05:32 am   Permalink

Okay, I know somebody here has the ability to zoom in on this...
I am curious about what's in the window over his left shoulder. We have a Chinese restaurant here in Knoxville with similar windows. The windows are actually more like display cases and the neighboring business sells jewelry so, sometimes there are jewelry items displayed in those windows as you enter the restaurant.
There is something in that window behind him (although, it could just be a reflection) and I want to say that it resembles a shell necklace - looks like two white strands.
There's another window inside the doorway, doubt you could see anything in that though. There's also a circular sign or emblem above the door, can't tell if there's anything on it or not.
Maybe I'm grasping at straws here (no pun intended) but, I don't want to see this thread die either. Come on TCers, we can solve this!

View Profile of MsSwanky Send a personal message to MsSwanky      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-05 06:26 am   Permalink

I like this thread too! - Only help I can give is the circular sign is phone sign (I think) to show the place has a public phone inside. The "spear" my guess is a bus stop sign the was backed into by one of those huge cars everyone drove in that era. - Other than that I'm just lurking on where this could be?

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-05 10:00 am   Permalink

A zoom-in just gets the image all pixel-chunky (although it is clear those are jewelry-display windows - a jewelry shop turned Polynesian lounge?). If someone could prod the Lotta Livin' guy to put up a hi-res c.u. it might help out a bit.

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-05 10:45 am   Permalink

i gave it a try.....

it seems to be some type of movie or play billboard to the far right attached to the wall, and the old sign actually looks like a car had knocked it out of its foundation, and someone temporarily fixed it by wedging it with something in the cement. Good luck sleuths!
Also, anyone know what the original location Damons steakhouse looked like? just a stab in the dark......

***Update.....Damons is not this photo. I called the place and their original location was on the Corner of Central and Broadway. Actual original address was 118 Central....Ehhh, I tried!

[ This Message was edited by: Tom Slick 2008-08-05 10:58 ]

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-05 10:56 am   Permalink

The original post said the sign said "ROOM". I don't know that is true unless they have another version of this picture that is bigger.

I concur that it is a telephone emblem on the circular sign up there. It appears there are several window displays besides the one we can see into.

To the left it may be a kimono, or perhaps a copy of a 1968 Elvis jumpsuit...

And is that a bent over pole or a guy wire for a light pole?

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-05 12:36 pm   Permalink

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thunderlips
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-05 4:22 pm   Permalink

While the sleuthing power contained within the pages of TC is truly impressive,
perhaps this case requires some assistance from PBS'
History Detectives

View Profile of Thunderlips Send a personal message to Thunderlips  Goto the website of Thunderlips     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-05 11:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-05 12:36, The Gnomon wrote:

looks like a jewelry display for sure. Almost like a puka shell necklace.

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-09 3:16 pm   Permalink

Those tiles look like the ones at the Mai Kai.

What's that metal pole? Street sign? Bus Stop sign? It's a corner alright.
I tried zooming in -- no luck...

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 09:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-09 15:16, CheekyGirl wrote:
Those tiles look like the ones at the Mai Kai.

Those ceramic tiles were widely used all over the country for both tiki and Chinese restaurants. I picked up some in LA from an antique dealer who had hundreds of them that came from a Chinese restaurant. Oceanic Arts still sells them, but the mold has degraded so much that there's no real detail left in them. So anyway, they're not much of a clue in this case I'm afraid.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation