FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Mystery Photo 1959 Tiki Bar
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Mystery Photo 1959 Tiki Bar
nichols
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-10 10:41 am   Permalink

I showed it to someone that thought the granite curbs were very rare in Los Angeles. They think it's a big old city on the east coast. I also showed it to a bunch of friends over 60 who grew up in LA and nobody recognized it.

View Profile of nichols Send a personal message to nichols      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 4:08 pm   Permalink

..those curbs are too small for the midwest (chicago)......could be the east coast......

,,,i'm thinking new orleans at this point ...i believe this could possibly be in or near the french quarter??

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-11 02:06 am   Permalink

Well, I'd probably guess around Miami, since other Florida photos were with this picture, or at least contained the same man. Maybe some upstreet "little havana" pre-cubanism neighborhood? I say little havana, because their streets look similar with that style of storefronts.....Another shot in the dark...

[ This Message was edited by: Tom Slick 2008-08-11 02:08 ]

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-11 04:05 am   Permalink

..how about YBOR city in tampa??.....that's got that old havana look as well....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-11 09:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-30 11:26, sputnikmoss wrote:
Ok..I think we should focus on California. I found more slides of him on Ebay.

this one is stamped July 1959

Another possibility I pulled from the net...It has the right timeframe, meaning in that photo, the location could have only been open for a year or two max.

The Swiss Chalet - US Highway 50 - 2544 Lake Tahoe Blvd - South Lake Tahoe - CA 96150
The Swiss Chalet is an institution. It has been open for no less than 51 years. It actually looks like archetypal Alpine Chalet, which adds to the charm of the experience.

Perhaps these slides are all CA....The airport "could" possibly be L.A.X. back in 1959.
The beach photo has me stumped though . Could it also be Santa Monica or Venice area, in 1959? Although I also believe it to be Miami, I'm just playing devils advocate here....
I'm attempting to try and rule out FLA, so we might be able to focus on this guys trip.
If we can develop a pattern to the pics, then maybe finding this little Piece of Early Hawaiiana in the city might be that much easier to figure out, especially with all of the seasoned pros on TC. I'm really wanting to see this mystery solved!
I have Scooby Snacks for any meddling kids who solve this!

*EDIT*
Just read into the O'Connor and Goldberg store and it was a chain shoe store based out of the Chicago area.
O'Connor and Goldberg was a shoe store in Chicago. "O'Connor and Goldberg" is also used to describe any mixed Irish Jewish neighborhood. from Wikpedia...
I also found this photo with the shoe store located in a mall.

If this is the case, then that photo could of been anywhere from east to west in 1959...Also, a mall in Indiana opened up called Woodmar that contained the shoe store in 1954.(info found at
http://www.geocities.com/jaloweplays/woodmar.html )
The photos could pass this as the actual location.

In any case, this guy "Johnny Cashed It" and went EVERYWHERE man...Investigation has proven to me that, limiting his travels only in and around California/West Coast, are no longer an option at this time.
Unless someone knows if California had a branch of "O'Connor and Goldberg" shoe stores, I'm back to having zero information and all this type was a waste! haha

[ This Message was edited by: Tom Slick 2008-08-11 10:38 ]

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-11 12:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-31 19:55, MsSwanky wrote:
Quote:
"I wish I did know more about this man. These were purchased at an estate sale in Fort Worth,Texas at the first of this year. There were probably 150 slides of this man in Europe,Disneyland,1964-65 NY Worlds Fair,Wisconsin and at numerous other unknown locations. All of the slide cases were marked 'Otti'"

Just a thought... assuming this guy traveled a lot, it could be anywhere. I don't know exactly why, but my gut says a town like Pittsburgh or Baltimore. The street in question just has that vibe to me.
-Duke

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-11 12:30 pm   Permalink

i don't recognize the shoe store from any part of chicago...but....after going back and looking at it in light of the new info......it looks alot like old orchard shopping center looked back in the day....the big question...was old orchard (which as always been an outdoor mall located in a chicago suburb)built back in or near the late fifties??.....

sputnikmoss
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-11 4:20 pm   Permalink

According to this http://www.chicagotraveler.com/attractions/old-orchard-shopping-center.html
The Old Orchard Mall opened in 1956. It looks nice and new in the photo which fits!

Here is his photo in 1959

Here is the Old Orchards Mall in the late 1960s. It's not in the same spot but the black brick columns are the same and so is the roof line. The Birch trees have grown in 10 years but look at the fountain heads! Same!

[ This Message was edited by: sputnikmoss 2008-08-11 16:34 ]

[ This Message was edited by: sputnikmoss 2008-08-11 16:35 ]

View Profile of sputnikmoss Send a personal message to sputnikmoss  Email sputnikmoss Goto the website of sputnikmoss     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-11 4:43 pm   Permalink

..do i know my malls or what!!! ..that's good news....onward and forward to the rest of the mystery....

check this out..

http://mallsofamerica.blogspot.com/2006/06/old-orchard-shopping-center.html

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-08-11 16:46 ]

tiki-a-fair
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-13 09:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-05 10:45, Tom Slick wrote:
i gave it a try.....

it seems to be some type of movie or play billboard to the far right attached to the wall, and the old sign actually looks like a car had knocked it out of its foundation, and someone temporarily fixed it by wedging it with something in the cement. Good luck sleuths!
Also, anyone know what the original location Damons steakhouse looked like? just a stab in the dark......

***Update.....Damons is not this photo. I called the place and their original location was on the Corner of Central and Broadway. Actual original address was 118 Central....Ehhh, I tried!

[ This Message was edited by: Tom Slick 2008-08-05 10:58 ]

Okay I know that I have seen this exact photo before, if I remember right it has something to do with exotic animals and the photo was taken by his wife, they owned it. Now I am going to have to remember where I saw it. I believe it was located in Hollywood.

View Profile of tiki-a-fair Send a personal message to tiki-a-fair      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Angry Idol
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-14 10:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-11 04:05, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

..how about YBOR city in tampa??.....that's got that old havana look as well....

It does have that Ybor charm, but the stores have changed over and again so many times, it's hard to tell. I'd have to ask Ferdie Pacheco, if I ever see him.

View Profile of Angry Idol Send a personal message to Angry Idol  Email Angry Idol     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-14 1:08 pm   Permalink

Wow! That's quite a discovery. Thanks for the image, sputnik! It's almost eerie. My guess is that this place is, in fact, located somewhere in one of California's major cities of the 1950s (based on your information), or perhaps somewhere in the midwest like St. Louis.

Anyone think this mystery location could possibly be a Hawaiian jewelry store of some kind, rather than a nightclub/bar/restaurant? The two small inset displays and what they are displaying -- one which is definitely displaying necklaces -- are a rather odd architectural choice for a nightclub/bar/restaurant. It is difficult to see what the other display alcove is displaying (and there could be another alcove display directly across from it in the entryway), but it looks somewhat shiny and brassy. Perhaps a ship's bell? Ding-ding?

View Profile of DJ Terence Gunn Send a personal message to DJ Terence Gunn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-14 5:30 pm   Permalink

there has to be something signifigant about this place in order to pose in front of it for a picture...i did a google search for hawaiian jewelry store 1959 and found that "maui divers" jewelry store opened in 1959 in hawaii.....maybe the other poster is correct and that we are looking for a jewelry store (which appears to be next to a clothing boutique) and not a tiki bar for this photo....maybe we need to look in hawaii.

there were a number of other jewelry stores that opened that same year that had a hawaiian theme....some were even in the midwest!..so we're not out of this yet....

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-08-14 17:31 ]

DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-14 7:19 pm   Permalink

Could possibly be Hawaii, too, but it looks more like a China Town area on the mainland. Perhaps historic China Town in Honolulu? In any case, I think the reason for posing in front of this facade is obvious: the striking Polynesian mural!

View Profile of DJ Terence Gunn Send a personal message to DJ Terence Gunn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-14 7:31 pm   Permalink

was his blue suit on ebay?! i need one of those babies!

View Profile of Tiki Trav Send a personal message to Tiki Trav  Email Tiki Trav     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation