FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Mystery Photo 1959 Tiki Bar
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Mystery Photo 1959 Tiki Bar
Pacifilantic

Posted: 2008-08-14 8:17 pm   Permalink

Could the photo have been taken in Tijuana? Our man is wearing the same blue suit in the posed "Tijuana 1959" photo with friend and donkey (page 3 of this thread). I've not been to Tijuana, but I've seen similar types of streetscapes/storefronts in other parts of Mexico.

[ This Message was edited by: Pacifilantic 2008-08-14 20:19 ]

View Profile of Pacifilantic Send a personal message to Pacifilantic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-15 04:03 am   Permalink

Was the Bell Telephone system in Tijuana? I don't know, since I'm from the east.

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-15 08:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-14 20:17, Pacifilantic wrote:
Could the photo have been taken in Tijuana? Our man is wearing the same blue suit in the posed "Tijuana 1959" photo with friend and donkey (page 3 of this thread). I've not been to Tijuana, but I've seen similar types of streetscapes/storefronts in other parts of Mexico.

In that particular photo they are posing in a hokey little prop set located on a side walk (perhaps outside a Tourist office that is promoting a tour 'From San Diego to Tijuana' or 'From L.A. to Tijuana'), specifically for tourists (or shameless locals) to get their picture taken in. The fact that he is wearing the same clothes round the same time as the initial mystery photo was taken, coupled with this tourist marketing gimmick and the fact that tours to Tijuana from California were then (and still are) popular, points further evidence in the direction that the mystery photo of the man posing outside the business with the Polynesian mural, was taken in L.A. or other major California city.

[ This Message was edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2008-08-15 08:09 ]

View Profile of DJ Terence Gunn Send a personal message to DJ Terence Gunn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-15 08:30 am   Permalink

The clothes are circumstantial. It might be evidence, but it might be a meaningless coincidence.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-a-fair
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-15 11:10 am   Permalink

Okay I know that I have seen this exact photo before, if I remember right it has something to do with exotic animals and the photo was taken by his wife, they owned it. Now I am going to have to remember where I saw it. I believe it was located in Hollywood.

View Profile of tiki-a-fair Send a personal message to tiki-a-fair      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-15 1:54 pm   Permalink

The clothes may be a coincidence, but not a meaningless one. I think we've exhausted the possibilities of the original mystery photo and are left with guessing and grasping at straws, and should, instead, focus on photos like the one above. Perhaps the two photos weren't taken on the same day in the same city. But perhaps they were. And IF they were, then that is another piece of the puzzle thrown into the pile that we're trying to put together. There are evident reasons to believe that the two photos were taken in the same city on the same day. And should it be proved that they weren't, then we've eliminated that possibility.

The striped awning they're in front of has a bill or poster with the words 'Floor Show' above it. The shop preceeding it may have something to do with the Tijuana picture prop wagon. There are a string of decorative lanterns or handbags or somesuch items (possibly of a Mexican design, but maybe Asian, as well) hung in the street window. Then again, the wagon may be individually owned and used solely for taking tourist pictures. That sounds very Hollywood to me. Of course, the wagon may also have some connection with awning place.

And notice the paint on the buildings and facades. For example, the lower panelling on the 'Floor Show' wall (as well as areas of the shop facade next to it) is of a similar navy blue that the shop next to the Polynesian mural place has. Both photos have been taken in an area or areas of a city where there are somewhat colourful facades and buildings. And there's a little more tile work, too, in the above photo. Nowadays, such colours, tile work, etc. would more often than not be found in some International District and historical part of a city or town.

[ This Message was edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2008-08-15 13:59 ]

View Profile of DJ Terence Gunn Send a personal message to DJ Terence Gunn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-15 2:00 pm   Permalink

544 Grant ave San Francisco Chinatown. Jewelry stores are in that location still today.

I could be wrong but take a look at some of the old doors. they look the same as the green door in the photo(window the same size and locations in center of the door.) Also in the photo you can see some green Chinese ceramic tiles under the clothing store's window. makes me think it's china town.

Google it. check out the yellow door at 550 grant.

[ This Message was edited by: AlienTiki 2008-08-15 14:02 ]

View Profile of AlienTiki Send a personal message to AlienTiki  Goto the website of AlienTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-15 2:03 pm   Permalink

That reminds me, I'm going out today to buy a pair of sandals to go with my dress socks and vintage suit.

Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-15 2:03 pm   Permalink

that was my earlier suspicion....that it was in a china town somewhere...now if we can get someone from san fran to get a photo of the current location....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-15 2:10 pm   Permalink

You can see the place here http://maps.google.com/ you have to enter the address. only thing is now that I look at it, the addresses are in tens and it says 440 so It's probably not it unless they changed the addresses in the last 50 years. but I bet it's in the neighborhood.

I think it's on Grant ave. despite the address issue.

[ This Message was edited by: AlienTiki 2008-08-15 14:21 ]

View Profile of AlienTiki Send a personal message to AlienTiki  Goto the website of AlienTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-15 2:28 pm   Permalink

..sure looks like it....when you compare the photos side by side alot of the details line up...looks like someone cmae through china town with the ugly stick....look at all those cheap cheesy vinyl awnings....usually those are put right over the existing signs..cheaper than removing the old sign. here in chicago, alot of classic vintage signs are lurking behind these awnings waiting to be re discovered....san fran china town looks terrible with them....alot has changed since i was there last in 94'

anyway, i'll bet they changed the addresses due to rezoning or something...

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seafoamer
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-15 2:54 pm   Permalink

And if you tilt that google photo of 544 grant, you can see the same type of brickwork edge at the very top of the building that you can see of the other photos green brick building.

View Profile of seafoamer Send a personal message to seafoamer  Email seafoamer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pacifilantic

Posted: 2008-08-15 3:59 pm   Permalink

I'm wondering now if the mural was painted directly on the glass of the existing shop windows. The "cutouts' for the jewelry displays might be painted frames.

Perhaps the artist painted other murals... does anyone recognize the style? Maybe his work also appeared in other tiki establishments nearby.

And maybe the man in the blue suit is posing in front of the mural because he is the artist! That would be cool...

(Edited to add: After looking again, I see that he is standing in front of and blocking some of the painting... unlikely then, that he was the artist!)

[ This Message was edited by: Pacifilantic 2008-08-15 17:01 ]

View Profile of Pacifilantic Send a personal message to Pacifilantic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-15 6:01 pm   Permalink

The mural is in the style of Eugene Savage - his stuff was pretty widely copied back then. If it's a Hawaiian themed jewelry store, I'm guessing it's a Ming's...

Quote:
At one time, Ming's had shops in San Francisco, Denver, Dallas, Houston, Ft. Lauderdale, New York and Miami, and two in Atlanta. There also were four in Waikiki, and shops at Ala Moana Center, downtown and in Hilo.

But Ming's began closing the mainland shops in the 1960s through the 1980s.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-15 6:02 pm   Permalink

i doubt the glass was painted...most likely, the facade was all wood with windows and glass cut out of it....as time went on, that wooden facade was torn out and the new facade recessed with all glass windows as it appears today....i'll bet if you go down there and try to peek behind the awning, you will most likely see the remains of that asian style faux roof line.....they most likely slapped the awning up right over it to hide the "old " look....

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation