FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Coco Palms Resort Hotel, Kauai, HI (Hotel)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
Coco Palms Resort Hotel, Kauai, HI (Hotel)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-21 5:54 pm   Permalink

Bongofury,

Thanks for the post on the book, I had not heard about that one before. Will have to keep an eye out for it.

Here is beautiful postcard rendering I have showing the main compound of the Coco Palms from the waterside view.

The back of the card states that the buildings include the Queens Audience Hall, the Coconut Palace Dining Room and Suite, and in the background the Chapel, Library, Museum and Prince of Hawaii Cottages.

Here is a postcard of the main building.

Bigbro, great photo in front of the sign, wished I had taken that one when I was there in the 90's.

Now picture yourself in this photo when it was open!

What a gem.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-28 09:02 am   Permalink

Olive Pick

Ash Tray

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Inkville

Posted: 2011-08-27 9:59 pm   Permalink

Aloha, all. My wahine and I are headed to Kauai for the first time next month, and watched Blue Hawaii (again) in preparation. How did those of you who have been on the Coco Palms grounds get in? Were you worried about getting prosecuted for trespassing? Does anyone know if Coco Palms' status (or access to it) has changed dramatically since these shots were posted?

Mahalo!

View Profile of Inkville Send a personal message to Inkville  Goto the website of Inkville     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-27 10:11 pm   Permalink

Hi Inkville. My wife and I were on Kauai last February and someone was at the gate with a sign for tours, 20 bucks I think. Have fun.

aloha, tikicoma

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Inkville

Posted: 2011-08-30 6:34 pm   Permalink

Mahalo!

View Profile of Inkville Send a personal message to Inkville  Goto the website of Inkville     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CraigtheKeg
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-09-03 12:13 pm   Permalink

I've been going to Kauai since 1996, when my wife and I bought a timeshare condo in Poipu Point. 21 trips there so far. The Coco Palms was hit in 1992 by Iniki and was in litigation for 10 years with the insurance company, and was finally paid off. The insurance won't re-insure unless the Coco Palms raises the elevation 15 feet.

The reason is that the ROAD and beach in front of the Coco Palms is the barrier between it and the ocean. It sits at SEA level.
If another BIG storm comes, waves wash over the road and flood the Coco Palms. It would have to be torn down and rebuilt on top of 15 added elevation to be insurable. Makes sense to me, but it's going to be EXPENSIVE.

I hope this answers some questions asked earlier here. I too would like to see this place reopened, but not as it is. If ever I could buy some of the things there, I would grab those big doors with the palm trees on them.

Craig the Keg.

View Profile of CraigtheKeg Send a personal message to CraigtheKeg  Email CraigtheKeg     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-27 09:11 am   Permalink

Coco Palms on the Travel Channel's Off Limits, check it out.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-03 11:50 am   Permalink

Hey Mr Boris I saw that too.
Your link does not work now.
This may work.
I have lamp shades from the Kahiki here in Columbus
that are from the first lamps made by Mrs. Sapp 1961
and they are the same shades as the ones on the table in this clip.
Kinda odd to see that.
Now I would guess that Mrs. Sapp did not make the shades but still
from here to the Coco Palms.Cool!
http://www.travelchannel.com/Video/buried-past-of-coco-palms-16433

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-26 5:12 pm   Permalink

I finally managed to find one of the postcards showing the interior of the Lagoon Lanai rooms that were built over the lagoon at the Coco Palms resort.

Also picked up a nice napkin with the conch blower logo.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-02 11:58 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

1968, this slide is notated as the "Coco Palm Wedding Church." Anyone get married there?

labled 6K but should actually be Outtake 67Zed

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-12-02 23:59 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-04 1:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-27 22:11, tikicoma wrote:
Hi Inkville. My wife and I were on Kauai last February and someone was at the gate with a sign for tours, 20 bucks I think. Have fun.

aloha, tikicoma

Everyday at 2:00 p.m.
$20.00 seems steep.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-01 12:29 pm   Permalink

One of the local weekly papers did a cover story on "Mr. Coco Palms" Larry Rivera last week.
http://www.midweekkauai.com/2011/12/mr-coco-palms-larry-rivera/
It mentions that he still does performances at the hotel's lagoon, but didn't mention details, so I emailed him. He got right back to me(!) saying

"I meet the Roberts Buses that come to Coco Palms just by the bridge area. I sing a song or two and tell them a short story about my life there. It is only for the people on the bus that come from the cruise lines for the day.
I also do a luncheon Luau show at Smith Gardens from time to time for 400 people from the ship.
The other thing I do at Coco Palms is weddings by the lagoon. I do the Blue Hawaii Wedding and renewals.
There is no actual show.

My shows are at the Café Portofino every Wednesdays from7-9 PM
First Fridays of the month. This Friday Jan 6 I do one at Kukui Grove Shopping Center at 7 PM.

Thanks for reading the article.

Larry Rivera"

Hope this info fits in with this thread.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-09-06 12:42 am   Permalink

We got a chance to visit the Coco Palms in June, so I have a ton of photos to post. There'll be some unavoidable repeats from the great pictures posted earlier, but hopefully some new views. Also, some things have clearly changed since Primo Kimo's visit in 2008.

Our visit started thanks to this thread, in fact the preceding post from 4WDtiki with the info about Larry Rivera. My parents went to Kauai for their 10th anniversary in 1972, and stayed at the Coco Palms. So this year the family gathered in Kauai for my parents' 50th anniversary, 40 years later. I wanted to see if it'd be possible to arrange an official visit. After contacting Larry Rivera (a living legend who's definitely worth another story), I learned that a guy named Bob Jasper
conducts tours of the Coco Palms for a decent fee. We decided to take the whole family to that, and I have to say it was really outstanding. Naturally we couldn't explore on our own, but it was 2+ hours of pretty thorough walking around and tons of great stories about the land, the Guslanders, and a wealth of movie trivia.

Here's a first batch of pics...

The view just inside the gates, looking toward the lagoon. That's one of the King's Cottages (thatching long gone), and in fact it is THEE cottage where they filmed scenes with Elvis' character Chad Gates in Blue Hawaii.

Same little maintenance shack in the foreground

Looking back from the cottage

A little more of the lagoon

Looking down along the lagoon, and the first glimpse of the great A-frame with the giant conch shell over the dining room and cocktail terrace

Now we're inside the cottage that had scenes in Blue Hawaii. This is the door that Elvis sends the girls out to hide. (Stay tuned for a later post with some movie screenshots for comparison)

Funny kind of lava rock bath / basin thing in the back of the cottage

Inside the cottage again, looking toward the front door

Inside another cottage

Inside Elvis' favorite cottage. This is the one that he always stayed in when he visited the Coco Palms. By an unbelievable coincidence, Elvis happened to be there when we visited.

The (former) bathroom sink in the Elvis cottage. The giant shell sink has been poached, along with many of the little gold tiles.

The sink area in another cottage - more gold tiles.

That's Bob the tour guide, and his gaze is roughly directed at two famous coconut palms. As Bob told us, there's considerable history in the coconut grove, both old and very recent. These two palms (the curved trunk next to the straight trunk) starred in the Pirates of the Caribbean Stranger Tides flick, in a scene where Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush are tied at their bases.

Telling the story of Kamalani (more on that later)

Storage shed

Inside the storage shed, this had been a poolside piano

Inside the chapel, which also starred in many movies, notably Miss Sadie Thompson

Another glimpse of the dining area A-frame

Looking through the overgrown area, across the lagoon, toward the dining area. Also you can see the toppling lobby roofline in the background.

Looking back after crossing the first small bridge on the path to the dining area

A couple views up the lagoon

And the other way

Now straight ahead, toward that fantastic A-frame!

Again looking along the lagoon. And supposedly that is THEE outrigger that appeared in many movies, like the Blue Hawaii wedding scene. Here's a story about the restoration of the outrigger.

Kamalani. This is the name of the boat, and the name of a song created by Larry Rivera for Grace Guslander, telling the legend of a frog (read about it here).

Lots more coming up.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-06 03:45 am   Permalink

Wow, you lucky buck! One of my dream sites to explore!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN

Posted: 2012-09-06 06:49 am   Permalink

I agree...thanks for posting those pictures. I stayed there prior to the destructions...it was indeed an amazing place. So wish someone with $$$$$ would snap it up and restore it.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation