FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Florida Hawaiian/Tiki Resorts
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Florida Hawaiian/Tiki Resorts
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-07 5:49 pm   Permalink

I recently picked up a couple of postcards from older Hawaiian/tiki resorts located in Florida. As I was looking through my collection, I noticed all of the places in Florida that were called the "Hawaiian" something or other. I decided to post the Florida locations with "Hawaiian" in the name. By the way, I had the idea for this before I got my copy of Tiki Modern, so I'm not trying to copy Sven's Florida chapter.

These are from the Royal Hawaiian in Daytona Beach. It is interesting to see the changing facade of the motel building. First a guys head, then a hula dancer, then whatever that fountain mask is.

These are from the Palm Beach Hawaiian in Palm Beach. It seems as though the tiki status of the building and roof de-evolve over time. Does anybody know if the roof was ever thatched as shown in the artist drawing of the hotel?

These are from the Hawaiian Isle Resort Hotel and Inn in Miami Beach.

I Love this illustrated drink card

From the famous Hawaiian Village in Tampa

These pics are from the hotel brochure

The Hawaiian Inn in Daytona Beach

Oh, wait. One more from the Hawaiian Inn in St. Petersberg. Was this related to the Daytona Beach facility?

Now that's a lot of Hawaii in Florida!

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-07 5:57 pm   Permalink

Fantastic stuff - Thanks Dusty!

Zulu

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seafoamer
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-07 7:45 pm   Permalink

super cool cards!

thnx 4 sharing!

View Profile of seafoamer Send a personal message to seafoamer  Email seafoamer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-08 12:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-07 17:49, Dustycajun wrote:

Too bad Florida doesn't have all this now. Thanks for the post. Is there anyway to get enlargements of the pictures of this postcard?

Thanks
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-08 3:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-08 12:09, JohnnyP wrote:
[Too bad Florida doesn't have all this now. Thanks for the post. Is there anyway to get enlargements of the pictures of this postcard?

Thanks
JP

JP,

Like everywhere else, Florida has lost it's Tikis too. Here are a few blow-ups of the Hawaiian Village card.

I love the flaming Moai statue on this one!

This graphic is from the menu

Nice Outrigger in the dining room.

Great mural on the wall

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-08 3:29 pm   Permalink

..dusty, you a wealth of visual knowledge and the best thing to happen to this forum in a long time...keep posting those pics!!

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-08-08 15:31 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-09 6:00 pm   Permalink

Some good scores here. I like the card with drinks from the Hawaiian Isle -- the Hawaiian Eye indeed. I wonder what was in that one?
KG

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff 2008-08-09 18:01 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-09 7:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I love the flaming Moai statue on this one!

WoW! I was a teen when my dad was transferred from the Pentagon to McDill A.F.B. in Tampa. That flaming Moai was forever etched in my memory. Years later when I began collecting Tiki I asked my folks if they had the same recollection. They remembered going to the Hawaiian Village. My mom had a a couple H.V. swizzle sticks and a coconut mug she thought was from there, but neither of them remembered the Moai as clearly as I did. I began to doubt my memory as mere fantasy. Now I am vindicated!

I gotta get me one of those postcards! Thanks for sharing yours.
-Duke

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 07:41 am   Permalink

Spent a lot of time talking to Chief Faalia, who was a fire/knife dancer at the Mai Kai for many years and worked all over the place. He has James' book and says he can name 30 places he used to go to and work at in Florida that are not in that book. Florida was ripe with Tiki places in the 50-60s.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 09:41 am   Permalink

Yes, it is sad that nearly all of that tiki goodness has been swept away by the bulldozers of "progress". Florida is mostly made up of people imported from other states. So as a result, the collective memory doesn't go back very far. I think most people here would be very surprised that places like this existed in their cities.

All the more reason to be grateful for the Mai-Kai, the Hawaiian Inn and the Aku Tiki Inn.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 09:55 am   Permalink

Duke,

Great story there about the Moai. Sounds like that was one of your early inspirations.

Quote:

On 2008-08-10 09:41, GatorRob wrote:

All the more reason to be grateful for the Mai-Kai, the Hawaiian Inn and the Aku Tiki Inn.

I saw a brochure for the Mai Kai on ebay today from the Florida Guys with the following message:

** MAI-KAI POLYNESIAN TIKI RESTAURANT **

TRI-FOLD ADVERTISING BROCHURE

FORT LAUDERDALE FLORIDA

THE MAI-KAI RESTAURANT WAS FOUNDED IN 1956 AND IS RUMORED TO BE CLOSING LATER THIS YEAR... THEME OF THE RESTAURANT IS EXPERIENCE THE SOUTH SEAS... POLYNESIAN SHOW IS PERFORMED NIGHTLY...

What is this rumor that the Mai Kai is closing? Tell me that this is crazy talk!

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 2:20 pm   Permalink

You haven't heard the story yet? Well actually, it wasn't crazy talk. The rumors were true. Tiki Kiliki was ending the Hukilau this year because the owners told her that the Mai-Kai was going to close. But Dave Levy has now taken complete ownership of the Mai-Kai and announced to a cheering crowd at this year's Hukilau that the Mai-Kai would remain open. Kiliki then announced that the Hukilau would be back at the Mai-Kai in 2009. So who knows what the future brings, but for now the Mai-Kai remains open!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 3:07 pm   Permalink

GotorRob,

Thanks for the update on the Maikai.

Here are a couple more postcards from the Hawaiian Inn at St. Petes courtesy of Sabu and Mike.

TIKIBOSKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 5:32 pm   Permalink

Hello all,

Great postcards Dustycajun your postcard collections are amazing thanks for taking the time to post them.

I doubt this has come up here but (if it has sorry) the swanky 70’s fellows above performed at the Hawaiian Inn’s “Aloha Lounge” the Elvis-ish guy is “Mr Fatu; the man of action” and the other guys are “The Samoans; the men behind the action”. Mr Fatu “the most dynamic singing star to come from the South Sea Islands” is a native of Samoa and thus a late 70’s Tiki establishment looking for a contemporary Elvis impersonator he is the only logical answer.
There is a live record floating around out there and it rocks, if you are into Tiki and Elvis it’s a must have.

My very best alohas,

Bosko

View Profile of TIKIBOSKO Send a personal message to TIKIBOSKO  Goto the website of TIKIBOSKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 5:37 pm   Permalink

Just to add, Dave Levy has already spent a lot of money on renovations at the Mai Kai and there will be many more done before there is a Hukilau crowd there again. He is "all in" and the Mai Kai will continue as we all know and love ot for a long time.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation