FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Florida Hawaiian/Tiki Resorts
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
Florida Hawaiian/Tiki Resorts
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-14 8:58 pm   Permalink

HH,

Thanks for the update, good news indeed. Lets hope the new owners embrace the past.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-15 04:42 am   Permalink

I'll be just up the road at The Breakers for a couple days this March.
I'll have to check it out.

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-15 06:53 am   Permalink

Someone scored 3 great Hawaiian Isle photos on the 'Bay....congrats! OGR

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-15 07:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-14 19:24, Hurricane Hayward wrote:

SOUTH PALM BEACH — The iconic Palm Beach Oceanfront Inn, known to locals as the Hawaiian, has been bought by new owners for $8.25 million.

The hotel was originally called the Palm Beach Hawaiian Ocean Inn and was designed in a Polynesian style. Its winged roof is a standout among the neighboring condominiums that line South Ocean.

Cohen said physical and operational improvements are planned for the inn and that a long-range “vision” will be announced in the near future.

The hotel has 58 guest rooms and the oceanfront Tides Bar & Grille.

The previous owners had wanted to raze the structure and rebuild it as a 14-story condominium hotel. They were willing to build the town a public safety building and new town hall to sweeten the deal.

I dunno - how are they gonna make that money back with 58 rooms and a bar & grille? I am curious about that long-range vision...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-15 07:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-15 06:53, Or Got Rum? wrote:
Someone scored 3 great Hawaiian Isle photos on the 'Bay....congrats! OGR

And ya didn't clip them ? Thank you for heads up, I found them in "Sold Listings":

It's amazing what is being washed up from these newspaper archive sales on e-bay these days! Great to finally have a good view of those wacky Lewis VanDerCar sculptures!:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-15 08:08 am   Permalink

Hey, those are mine!

Great photos of the VanDercar pieces. I wonder if he did that big Tiki with the torch on top?

Will post some close ups when I get them.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-15 08:22 am   Permalink

I figured that DC, thats why I decided not to post...great pics.

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-15 08:50 am   Permalink

Thanks OGR, I was stoked to get those photos.

Speaking of the Hawaiian Isle, here is one of the more unique pieces of ephemera I have from this place:

A Hawaiian Isle Honeymoon photo album with those great Tikis on the cover.

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-15 09:50 am   Permalink

Ahaaa..I was hoping, but there still are a few others out there...well, now you know how it "feels", DC, oh master of e-bay clippage! ...which I, as you can see, fully support. Because many new discoveries change hands on e-bay and disappear from view forever, which is a shame . Every piece of the mosaic is important to complete the picture of Tiki in the 20th Century. Mahalo, keep up the good work!

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-15 10:02 am   Permalink

No worries Bigbro. I call it "Ebay Archeology".

DC

Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-15 10:14 am   Permalink

"EA"...good one DC. Trust me Bigbro I had them clipped...just holding out for the "owners" TC intro OGR

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-15 10:19 am   Permalink

Now, some crisp glossy 8 X 11s of the Van Dercar statuary garden in front of the Miami Luau, please!

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-15 12:09 pm   Permalink

Regarding the Palm Beach Oceanfront Inn, it's interesting that the owners chose a boutique hotel management company to run it.
http://www.trusthospitality.com
They run quite a few South Beach and Fort Lauderdale properties.
http://www.trusthospitality.com/portfolio/florida-caribbean/

---------------------
Trust Hospitality offers comprehensive hotel management services tailored to the specific management requirements of each property. Understanding the unique nature of hotels, Trust provides customized solutions that address not only the operational needs, but also the lifestyle character of the property.

Our objective is to foster an environment of continuous improvements and streamline the work process resulting in highly profitable hotels. Trust Hospitality has successfully turned around many distressed and under-performing luxury and boutique hotels into highly profitable assets and market leaders.
---------------------

Hopefully they can come up with a business plan that works for this property while modernizing the infrastructure yet keeping the overall integrity of the building and grounds.

I'm sure the rooms have long been de-tikified. I'm more worried about the vintage, original tikis on the front facade. When I spoke to the old owner a couple years ago, he seem attached to them. Hopefully he hasn't already pulled them down.

I'll have to swing by there and check it out.

HH

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-06 5:43 pm   Permalink

Another photo of the Van Dercar statues at the Hawaiian Isle.

The exterior.

And a rate sheet ad.

DC

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-26 12:22 am   Permalink

I'm sorry to report that the building that used to be the Palm Beach Hawaiian Ocean Inn will join the ranks of those great old Tiki resorts in the sky.

A new thread has been started with all the info:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=48264&forum=1&start=last&6

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation