FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Florida Hawaiian/Tiki Resorts
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Florida Hawaiian/Tiki Resorts
Tikigoob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-25 11:04 pm   Permalink

Found a couple more photos...
First a cleaner shot of the lobby

then of the shuffleboard courts

I also saw some photos of a workout room on one of the real estate sites that somewhat resembles the billiard room from the brochure... there was no witco, tiki, or pool tables there though...

View Profile of Tikigoob Send a personal message to Tikigoob  Email Tikigoob Goto the website of Tikigoob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-26 9:27 pm   Permalink

Hey, it looks like they took one of the single warrior/maiden panels from the game room and hung it in the lobby above the doorway on the right. And there is ONE mask left on the left. Could it be that there still is some Witco in situ at this place?
--So, who's going?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-29 08:13 am   Permalink

What is the address? How close to Fort Lauderdale is this? Hoffa was telling me about an apartment building near the Mai Kai he found that was tiki-ed out and he had never seen anything on it.

If it is close enough, we gotta go bowl at Hukilau! Maybe they do the cosmic bowl with black lights and the Tiki faces light up onstrikes or something.

And, yes, more details of the figures out front and the mural please.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-11-29 7:25 pm   Permalink

Wow, I know exactly where that is. Using Hukilau logistics, it's about 12 miles southwest of The Mai-Kai and about 10 miles directly west of the Bahia Cabana.

It's not far from the Hawaiian Gardens, which has been well documented:
http://www.critiki.com/cgi-bin/location.cgi?loc_id=540
I'm surpirsed this one flew under the radar. Just did some Google research. From what I can tell it was built around the same time as Hawaiian Gardens (early to mid-'70s).

Hawaiian Gardens is now a condo retirement community for ages 55+ but Polynesian Gardens appears to be open to all ages. It contains 475 condo units in five buildings/complexes. Like most other older condos in the current real estate market, prices have plummeted below $100,000 and there have been quite a few foreclosures. But it appears to be well-kept and has not fallen into disrepair, at least if you can believe the Realtor photos.

So, let me run by there and take a gander. I'll be in that area next Saturday.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-01 12:40 pm   Permalink

So, while we all are eagerly awaiting a complete photo-report of the findings, here another example of brochure/postcard archeology, though this one is from a known-to-still-exist establishment (this brochure comes courtesy of Florida Tiki archeologist extraordinaire Kailuageoff):

The AKU TIKI INN has been introduced on page 262 of Tiki Modern (and its highly stylized entrance Tikis on page 201). With this post I want to show what was there once in terms of Witco decor, and how again Witco served as an "affordable" (i.e. low budget) solution to provide Tiki decor for the late 60s/early 70 Polynesian theme places. Here we see a full shot of the front of the Hotel:

Above left we see the A- frame entrance and check in, in the middle (the flat part) was the lobby, and on the right the Traders Restaurant.
The lobby had a couple of Witco pieces....

...which we can see better if we zoom in further and lighten up the shadow detail:

Like the Witchdoctor wall hanging on the left, and the God of Good Fortune fountain,
which fed a pond crossed by a bridge that led to the Traders Restaurant.
Here's a better shot of that fountain from a Witco catalog:

The Traders was a far cry from a full fledged Tiki palace:

......but zooming in allows us to find Witco details like a mask, a Witco shelf, and a Warrior wall hanging:

Plus it had a view on the lush jungle foliage by the pool:

The Traders Lounge wasn't that much more elaborate:

...but had strangely colorful wall masks and Witco Easter Island Tiki railing posts:

This post shall serve as yet another example of how much fun urban armchair archeology can be with a basic scanner. By zooming in and blowing up details. I was able to carve out objects from this brochure that the human eye, even with a magnifying glass, could make out that well.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-12-08 21:16 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-08 9:18 pm   Permalink

Sooo...anybody been to the Polynesian Gardens condos yet? Are there no Tiki archeologists left in Florida?

Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-09 05:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-08 21:18, bigbrotiki wrote:
Sooo...anybody been to the Polynesian Gardens condos yet? Are there no Tiki archeologists left in Florida?

..they are probably too busy filling their vans with witco they swindled out of the owners to take time to post right now....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-09 11:42 am   Permalink

Dave, you always expect the worst of people, don'tcha!
I am sure ALL Tiki Centralites know that it is absolutely taboo to field-collect specimens from still existing, intact Tiki sites such as this place. Obviously, there is still enough Witco out there in the wild for everyone, and no need to get so greedy as to sink so low to feel the need to graverob an original place, that surely would be bad mana.

Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-12-16 01:39 am   Permalink

Patience Tiki Centralites, patience. I've been on several expeditions and though my research is still ongoing I now have sufficient documentation to post. My visits to the Polynesian Gardens site have yielded the following ...

The location is not a very well-kept secret thanks to the city of Plantation's crack signage department ...

... Although a translator may be required to decipher the decaying sign at the main entrance:

These and other tikis on the site's exterior were constructed by the natives not from wood, but from some futuristic polymer:

Tikis guard the back entrance as well ... with a lot of help from the local authorities (note signs):

A closer look ...

Lacking any official archaeological expertise, we relied on the crude local nomenclature and surmised that the most important artifacts lie at the center, or "Rec Building" ...

A cluster of thatched huts signaled that we had located one of the outdoor social gathering areas, though little evidence of social activity could be found:

Beyond the huts lie moats and water hazards but still no evidence of wildlife (nice day, though, eh?):

Fountains pay tribute to the ancient Florida god of clear and humid skies:

At last, I have found the "Rec Building"!

But alas it is closed early so its inhabitants can partake in the region's various early bird specials. I'm relegated to examining the various native rules and regulations for clues.

Incredibly cool stationary and logos share space with incredibly urgent parking commands:

I manage to peer into the locked inner sanctum and behold the mighty Witco artifacts, holding court in the grand lobby. So close yet so far. Danger lurks nearby in uniformed sentry. I must move on quickly in search of the exalted game room. But I am thwarted again:

But a simple glance though the windows reveals a magnificent sight. Four lanes of tiki goodness, in pristine condition. But I must make a retreat and try to penetrate the interior on a future mission.

I make a hasty exit to the rear, which is minded by the rare "no-parking zone guardian tikis" ...

I risk a citation and venture closer:

Will Hurricane Hayward's next expedition take him into the Witco motherlode or the belly of the beast? Will he bowl a strike or a gutterball? Will he get a parking ticket?

To be continued ...

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2008-12-16 01:44 ]

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-16 05:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-09 11:42, bigbrotiki wrote:
Dave, you always expect the worst of people, don'tcha!
I am sure ALL Tiki Centralites know that it is absolutely taboo to field-collect specimens from still existing, intact Tiki sites such as this place. Obviously, there is still enough Witco out there in the wild for everyone, and no need to get so greedy as to sink so low to feel the need to graverob an original place, that surely would be bad mana.

LOL- it's not that i expect the worst....it's just that experience has shown that not all tiki folk share your reverance for not plucking tiki items from tiki sites (either by direct stealing or coercion through sale by owner).....I appreciate your faith and optimism, as we all do, however you may be suprised to learn that there are always a few individuals out there (including tiki centralites) that fear no mana or bad juju when it comes to expanding their collections or their wallets...though my comment in my last post on this thread was tongue- in -cheek, we all need to keep this in mind....

..and now back to the program!!..these new pics being posted are great....what a crazy 2 headed sculpture/logo......

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-16 2:32 pm   Permalink

HH, thank you for going and documenting the place, the sign is classic Tiki archeology. I understand that you are planning to post more pics, yet I just want to make sure my laptop was displaying ALL your posted images: I counted SIX photos of the same doubleheader Tiki design from different locations around the property...and no images of the other artifacts...is that correct? Did my machine perhaps fail to open the Witco, bowling alley and lobby mural and door shots? I am honestly asking because that happened to me before...

thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-12-16 2:44 pm   Permalink

Looks a little familiar!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-12-16 7:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-16 14:32, bigbrotiki wrote:
HH, thank you for going and documenting the place, the sign is classic Tiki archeology. I understand that you are planning to post more pics, yet I just want to make sure my laptop was displaying ALL your posted images: I counted SIX photos of the same doubleheader Tiki design from different locations around the property...and no images of the other artifacts...is that correct? Did my machine perhaps fail to open the Witco, bowling alley and lobby mural and door shots? I am honestly asking because that happened to me before...

Yes, the only artifacts of note on the exterior of Polynesian Gardens are the zany doubleheader tikis, which appear in three places: the front entrance, the side entrance and the clubhouse. The other photos are closeups of those. I have not finished exploring the interior and hope to do so this weekend before posting a full report on those artifacts. The good news is it all looks intact. I'm just not sure I can gain access to every room but I'm making progress.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-17 12:21 am   Permalink

"Zany" is a good word for those Tiki twins. If at all, they look most Tiki -like in that stationary rendering, with the wood grain. Wonder who came up with that design, and why there are two alike. Looking forward to more reports from this temple, I guess one has to move cautiously and observe the local customs in order to avoid angering the natives. Scary thought, to be haunted by those crazy joker faces!

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-17 03:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-17 00:21, bigbrotiki wrote:
Scary thought, to be haunted by those crazy joker faces!

I could well imagine a "Zippy" cartoon about that...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation