FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Florida Hawaiian/Tiki Resorts
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Florida Hawaiian/Tiki Resorts
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-20 08:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-14 19:02, Mo-Eye wrote:
I want to go to Jungleland!!!!

MEEEEEE TOO !

DANG !

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-19 09:02 am   Permalink

I have now visited the Polynesian Gardens and it was incredible. I was really trying to make the bowling alley a part of Hukilau 2010 but they are closing the bowling alley and all maintenance has now ceased. I asked if they would consider a donation to keep the bowling alley open for us to celebrate next year but unfortunately their insurance is also limited so we wouldn't be covered on their policy. Frankly, the president of their association was not at all thrilled to have us there, I just couldn't take the risk.

you can see all my photos as a set here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiki_kiliki/sets/72157622493729961/

But enjoy these closeups of the mural and a Witco Bar that was in the clubhouse:

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-19 09:08 am   Permalink

Oh yeah, I had to include these few black and whites of the residents, these were amazing!

[img]http://tikiroom.com/img/101x4adc8eb8.jpg[/img

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-19 12:40 pm   Permalink

Awesome Tiki Archeology Christie!!!!

Thanks for posting the pictures too!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-19 1:09 pm   Permalink

A rare Witco "Tahiti" bar! Wonderful. - Nobody better go there and try to talk them out of it! Removing any artifacts from an extant, largely intact Tiki site such as this one is to be considered as strictly taboo, and is a sign of greed that carries immediate karmic consequences:

It seems these folks are not that into being "discovered" by us Tiki weirdos, anyway.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VeroTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-24 3:47 pm   Permalink

Wow--all of that Tiki history in Florida is mind-blowing. Speaking as a Florida native (just born too late to see all of these places in their glory), it is heartbreaking to know what existed here and was torn down or stripped of its Tikiness. I hope the Tiki explosion that is happening in California makes its way here and we get an influx of Tiki Bars (real ones, not just bars with tiki huts over them) and more Tiki-centric buildings. Thanks to everyone who posted these gems from the past!

View Profile of VeroTiki Send a personal message to VeroTiki  Email VeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-01 6:16 pm   Permalink

Here's a view of the backside of the Hawaiian Isle in Miami.

No tikis in the disco, but is that a Witco Bongo Player on the wall of the Outrigger Lounge?:

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-01 7:12 pm   Permalink

Some more images of the Hawaiian Isle's various restaurants & lounges from an older brochure. You can see various tiki mugs in the last photo.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-01 7:41 pm   Permalink

Cool interior with the mugs...in that first photo, it looks like orange chunky resin lamps (ball and cone shaped) lined up along the wall.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-01 7:53 pm   Permalink

I think you're right about those lamps, Bigbro:

After drinks and dinner at the Hawaiian Isle, I probably would have driven my Aston Martin up the beach to the Shelborne Hotel for all-night dancing and spy-themed cocktails at the 007 Go-Go.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-19 3:56 pm   Permalink

Sabu,

Another great brochure, sure wish I could find more of those out there.

I just won this matchbook on ebay from the Hawaiian Inn in St. Pete. Nice graphics with the Hula Girl, the Tiki, and the Volcano.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-27 4:52 pm   Permalink

Nice matchbook from the Palm Beach Hawaiian on ebay.
Like the bamboo font and that great rendering

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-07 5:50 pm   Permalink

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see the following matchbook from the Hawaiian Isle in Florida in this thread:

I was also wondering how come this place doesn't have it's own Topic in Locating Tiki?? It seems that there is quite a bit of info. and pictures out there about it. Did I miss it?

TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-22 12:16 am   Permalink

The TAHITI Resort Motel in Miami (16901 Collins Ave). Not much in the way of Poly-Pop architecture, but it makes up for it in the sheer number of tiki masks and free-standing tikis on the property. I count at least 15 - many with glowing red eyes.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-22 12:27 am   Permalink

Wow, great zooming, Sabu. That mural under the neon could have a Tiki in it too. I seem to remember seeing a matchbook like that. Judging by the cars, the place would be mid-60s vintage?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation