FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Aloha Jhoe's, Palm Springs, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Aloha Jhoe's, Palm Springs, CA (restaurant)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-21 2:13 pm   Permalink

Thanks from me too, Sven.

Great stuff, exhaustive as usual. Was trying to dig up some additional info to include, but you covered everything!

Also nice to see someone own-up to past misconceptions.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-21 2:29 pm   Permalink

Aw ghee, Scott and Trav, you guys certainly can count yourself out of that rant, your regular scanning and posting here has been keeping this place alive!

P.S.: Trav, some of those traditions are still alive, even if only for tourist business. If you follow the Wikipedia link at the bottom, you can find this:

"The Hamamas Hotel offers 'Simpson Harbour Boat Tours' of the fascinating 'Vulcan' and 'Mt Tavurvur' volcanoes and 'Walkabout' tours of the incredibly destroyed Rabaul Town and for the keen angler and scuba diver, the Hotel has a small and a large fishing boat, and a Captain for hire.

Vibrant culture...

The excitement of the fire dancers and the 'dukduk' ceremony as well as a visit to the 'bung wantaim' arts and crafts market will provide a taste of the local culture. 'Hamamas' means happy in Pidgin, and this is reflected in the caring service and genuine hospitality of the Hamamas Hotel."

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-07-21 14:34 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-07-21 2:51 pm   Permalink

Great research Sven! Thanks for all the info.

But, Dukduk is ugly.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-23 01:15 am   Permalink

Excellent eye for detail, Sven.

I would have easily though the Aloha Jhoe's designs were inspired by the Duk Duk.

I always look for your posts on TC and read every word because of the solid content you provide.

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-28 10:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-13 02:54, bigbrotiki wrote:

The especially rare Sascha Brastoff candle holder!:

Another pair of those candle holders:

And Sascha Brastoff himself, from a 1954 issue of "The Playgoer".

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-08 09:32 am   Permalink

Sabu,

Cool article, here is a Sascha Tiki ashtray.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-15 8:32 pm   Permalink

DC - Very cool ashtray. I have 2 vases in that motif as well. There's a whole line of ceramics that Sascha Brastoff released in the "tiki" pattern. I put tiki in quotes because some of the faces look tiki, like that one, while others are stacked like totem poles and have other Native American features. It's almost as if Sascha was dipping into both cultures as he painted them.

Bigbro - Another of those mask variations shows up at the Daydream Island resort in Australia during the early 1970s:

It bears some slight resemblance to this photo you posted:

What do you think? Poly-Pop creation with Flower-Power daisies around the eyes? Or actual artifact from nearby PNG?

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2009-09-15 20:39 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-07 4:11 pm   Permalink

I re-read this topic and it's so cool to see all the images of these strange looking characters and how they were used in modern time (Well...Tiki Heyday anyway) renditions and in places where they represented far off native places. Makes you think about of all the images, symbals and characters these designers/builders could have used why this particular style was chosen.
Very cool!

Here is a different shot of the unique ashtray:

TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-08 3:32 pm   Permalink

The ashtray just sold yesterday on evil bay for $33.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140379371653&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-22 12:25 pm   Permalink

Now back to one of my favorite Oceanic Art pieces, the Duk Duk. I picked up this old advertising card that features the Duk Duk dance.

DC

WestADad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-24 06:44 am   Permalink

Interesting DC, I get a rough translation of bird meat extract in the can and religious dance ceremonies from the French at the bottom. It also says see the reverse side for an explanation. Can you post a picture of the back?

Thanks!

Chris

[ This Message was edited by: WestADad 2012-03-24 06:48 ]

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-24 12:49 pm   Permalink

I am sorry to say that I cannot concur on your classification of the very beautiful postcard above, DC. At first I thought they got the architecture wrong, with the upturned gables looking more Asian, but then I looked a the robes the people in the background are wearing, the flute and the drums...they seem more Pacific Asian than New Britain style. Here is the photo of the Duk Duk I used in Tiki Modern: The drum his attendant is holding is a hand drum in the traditional PNG hour glass shape:

I am particularly sensitive to this matter since to my embarrassment I had to correct the Tiki Modern assessment that Aloha Jhoe's logo Tiki was a Duk Duk mask (on the previous page here on TC):
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=29418&forum=2&vpost=470058

...because as I was collecting Duk Duk images, I could not help noticing how rather UNIFORM the actual Duk Duk society masks were:

...and I had to realize that the Aloha Jhoe mask was SIMILAR in style, concept and geographic vicinity, but not Duk Duk specifically.
The dance costumes in your postcard are also similar, but differ in the fact that in Duk Duk costumes, the "plumage" does not cover the whole body, the face is never exposed, and there is a cartoony mask painted on them.

Here's an old illustration of a Duk Duk dance:

Unfortunately I was unable to find any imagery that matched the elements on your postcard. There is a remote possibility that all the above incongruities hail from the fact that it is an embellished fantasy based on a Duk Duk ceremony, but there seem to be too many specific differences present for that.

(---this info stamped with the official German Colonies Bismarck Archipelago Seal)

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-24 4:08 pm   Permalink

Can anybody translate the French writing on DC's postcard?

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-25 5:59 pm   Permalink

Translation:

Meat extract from the Company Liebig
Bird feathers and the handling thereof

Religious dance in the Pacific Isles

Reproduction prohibited See explanation on back

Toto, j'ai l'impression que nous ne sommes plus au Kansas !

View Profile of Club Nouméa Send a personal message to Club Nouméa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-25 6:17 pm   Permalink

Westadad and Club Noname,

Thanks for the translation. Here is the back of the card. What does it say!

Bigbro, thanks also for all of the info, you seem to be right on all accounts. Although the two figures lying on the ground with the gray feathers seem to be more like the Duk Duk in design.

Still a good excuse to explore Duk Duk once again!

DC.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation