FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Hawaii Five-O 2.0
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
Hawaii Five-O 2.0
DaveB57

Posted: 2010-09-03 08:06 am   Permalink

Why the heck do they insist on "recreating" old classics? Personally, I grew up with the 50 crowd and the music and racing canoes really hooked me on the Islands for life.

I agree that it should be good for the economy but I'll still be averting my eyes.

Dave.

View Profile of DaveB57 Send a personal message to DaveB57      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-03 08:22 am   Permalink

I like the old show because I like watching most old shows that are dated. The vocabulary, the clothes, the interiors, etc.

As for the new show, Hawaii= good, pretty girls=good, but how about plot? To get hooked on a new cop show, I'd like a little plot please. Maybe even a little whodunit mystery once in a while.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-03 08:50 am   Permalink

Thanks to rugbymat....some Sac Ohana will be drinkin' and watchin' together...feel the LUUUUUV!!!...and hope for the best.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-03 11:00 am   Permalink

After watching the long preview, I'm actually excited to see it. I like Scott Caan more and more as I watch him on Entourage, and he looks like he'll be great in this show. The only thing I'm not buying is Kono becoming a 90 lb chick who can kick everyone's ass....Sorry, that doesn't work.
Adding a chick to te lineup is fine, but it should be IN ADDITION to a MALE Kono.

Other than that, I'll be tuned in...it looks like fun.

The key to enjoying this series at all is to NOT compare it to the original.

Let's face it, There will never be another Jack Lords and there will never be another late 60's/early 70's...all the lingo, hippies as bad guys, and Red China being the enemy is gone.

If you go in with that idea, it could be a fun show.

Do you have your TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA CD YET ?
http://www.myspace.com/tikiyaki
http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2010-09-04 12:14 ]

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
socksoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-03 11:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-03 11:00, tikiyaki wrote:

The key to enjoying this series at all is to NOT compare it to the original.

I can understand what you're saying, but how can I NOT compare it to the original when they're remaking the original? Why not just create new characters that are working for the Hawaii police instead of remaking the original ones and updating them? Also, what's the point of remaking this show? Most of the people being targeted to watch this with all the new "good looking" characters probably never saw the original, and those of us that did probably don't care about the new angle they're taking (where everyone gets in on the action like Danny) so who is this show really for?

On the other hand: SpikeTV is doing a great marathon of the original. I personally won't be watching the re-make and anticipating an early demise. Sorry for the negative attitude.

View Profile of socksoff Send a personal message to socksoff      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-03 11:38 am   Permalink

Its pretty pure and simple. The original is now deemed a classic. The new show has so many expectations it would have to live up to in order to even come close to that. Even though im fully aware of that and accept the fact that it will not capture that same original series feel, it has potential to become a decent show independant of the original but still share the same name. A tiki camparison would be, if you were to go into a Don the Beachcomber today, you wouldnt get the exact same feel and experience you would have at the original location that Don Beach built on Hollywood Boulevard in 1934. But in 2010 you can go into a Don the Beachcomber and sip that same mai tai recipe he created and have a similiar experience in an establisment with the same name.

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
socksoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-03 11:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-13 18:39, Tikiton wrote:
Mad Men absolutely sucks. I started watching for the reasons listed above, I liked everything except the characters. They should all go away. Maybe a lawn dart to the head, however they used to die back then...

A friend of mine had me watch this show because of my interest in 60s jet set culture but I couldn't stand that show (not sure why). Glad to see it wasn't some kind of premature negative judgement on mine part.

View Profile of socksoff Send a personal message to socksoff      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-03 1:59 pm   Permalink

I don't understand the hate for Madmen,It may not be your cup of tea, But the show does not suck in any way
It has the very best writing for one of "today's" TV shows, most of the shows on TV are so poorly written
zero dialog,one dimensional characters,thread bare plot etc.

Madmen captures the social mores of the 1960's (yes it was really like that!) Great dialog,which is so rare in a TV show these days
(Joan to Roger: "you have crossed the line from lubricated to morose")
3 dimensional characters that are flawed and very human and great production values for a show with a very limited budget.

But I better get back to the new H50 now.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JackLord
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-03 2:20 pm   Permalink

"There will never be another Jack Lords"

<sniff> Thank you Tikiyaki.

"Red China being the enemy is gone."

Ironically, that is not exactly the case. Of course today, Wo Fat would be a corporate executive or a Chinese government finance minister.

View Profile of JackLord Send a personal message to JackLord      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-03 5:07 pm   Permalink

And Hippies are still the bad guys !!

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-09-03 17:08 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kapu_kai_son
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-13 7:30 pm   Permalink

I'm not able to attend the Hawaii Five-0 premier on the beach at Waikiki but they're having a sneak peek tonight. There are some people that are planning to live-stream it if anyone is interested.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/aloha-bruce-live

View Profile of kapu_kai_son Send a personal message to kapu_kai_son      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-14 07:32 am   Permalink

Thanks for posting that link it was geeky cool to watch live footage in Waikiki of Willie K and Taimane Gardner performing before the actors came down the red carpet for the premiere.

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-14 08:57 am   Permalink

Message from original Danno Williams

Written remarks from James MacArthur, who played Danno Williams in the original Hawaii Five-0,h on the world premiere of new Five-0 pilot, Sept. 13, 2010, Sunset on the Beach, Waikiki.

Good evening everyone! I hope youre all enjoying a fine Hawaiian sunset and Im sorry I cant be there with you tonight.

Ever since I saw the scrip for the pilot, Ive been very excited about this new Hawaii Five-0.From that first moment, I knew CBS had another winner on its hands.

I can remember back to when Lenny Freeman called to invite me to participate in the original version. My first thought was, Great! If Im lucky this is my free ticket to 13 weeks in Hawaii. Count me in!

Little did I know that 40 years later, people would still be calling out to me to Book em, Danno! wherever I go, and that Hawaii Five-0 would become a worldwide phenomenon, an indelible part of our modern culture, ready tonight to launch a bold new incarnation.

I think I can confidently speak for Lenny (Freeman), Jack (Lord), Kam (Fong), Zulu and the rest of the original gang, as well as myself, in saying that were all just delighted with the outstanding caliber and sheer talent of the people involved with the Five-0. Its very heartening to see our legacy now in the hands of the terrific people you see before you tonight.

Im looking forward to making an appearance in the new show when the time is right, and I cant wait to see what the writers have in store for me. In the meantime, Ill be watching each week, eagerly anticipating the further adventures of the new Five-0 team.

May you all enjoy Hawaii and its fabulous people as much as I continue to do to this day, and may your association with Hawaii Five-0 be as successful and fulfilling for you as mine has been for me.

And remember, Be there! Aloha!

[ This Message was edited by: Mongoloid 2010-09-14 09:01 ]

Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-20 07:49 am   Permalink

10pm tonight. Hoping for the best. Dadadadadaadaaaa....

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JackLord
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-20 10:20 am   Permalink

Washington Post said it was decent.

[ This Message was edited by: JackLord 2010-09-20 11:14 ]

View Profile of JackLord Send a personal message to JackLord      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation